What's new

How did we 'warm up foods' BEFORE the advent of the microwave oven?

Chefs, Daunted Cooks, and fellow 'pan slammers' (like me),

I have a quandry: 'In 1977, I was introduced to the mad, mad, mad world of radar technology,
and the forthcoming "Amana" appliances. I HAD known, and HAD performed, the 'Old Way' of
warming up food, or a prepared plate of food, but for the life of me, and somewhere in the
Katrina aftermath landfill, weent my notes on how to do such a thing!'

I have vague remembrances of a plate, a stockpot with water, and ... (blank!).

I know technology has played so much a part in the modern kitchen, but I have this
nagging whisper in the back of my mind, that sometimes, the older means of doing
some things, still are 'boilerplate; gold plate, standards not to be fussed with'.

Is 'someone' among y'all able to tie down what I am missing?

TYFYR!

And while I am at at, I hope that this year's Thanksgiving was a blast, a success, memories
were made.

Now, I am wishing all of you'se SHALL have, a Happy Hannukkah, a Joyous Yule, a Merry Christmas, and a Very Happy, Fulfilling, and Prosperous New Year!

I think people cooked smaller portions and used a stove in the rare case that they had leftovers. I removed the microwave from my kitchen and have not missed it.

I recall my parents purchasing a microwave around the time I was 5 or 6, before that if I remember food was warmed up either in a pan on the stove or in the oven. Or were simply eaten cold. My gpa's favorite field lunch was a hunk of bread and a can of cold Van Kamps Pork n Beans.
Even today there are many leftover meals that I would rather warm up in a pan/oven versus the microwave. Pizza being one of them.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
A few ways to do it. keeping food warm. place a plate on top of a pot with simmering water, cover the plate with a lid.
stews etc just throw in a pot with a little bit of water stir then slowly heat.
The oven for other dishes. Then there was always frying up the left overs.
Left over meat is great cold or can be minced for a Shepard's / cottage pie etc.

My grandmother always had a pot of something sitting on the back of the cook top to keep warm. Since afik the oven was on from the time she moved in until she died everyone always had something warm to eat.

Not always "soup"... actually it rarely was. Maybe a few biscuits and some fried ham, hamburger steaks and some stewed potatoes, or grits and sausage.

Lol even at three in the morning when someone would roll in drunk. You could have coffee and food then explain your malfunction.

I don't have a microwave oven either. We used one for a while but got rid of it and never missed it.

We cook from scratch every evening and plan meals in advance.

Pan. Stove. Heat. Stir. We weren't totally hopeless. A double-boiler, if a more delicate dish, or if it had to sit around.

I remember when we got our first microwave. My dad used to yell at us telling us we were getting these rays shooting out nuking our food. One month later he was using it to soften up his ice cream and you didn't have to worry about nuking things. Though I remember my sister putting a hot dog in for 8 minutes and pulling out this emaciated blackened thing that didn't even resemble a hot dog. We still make fun of her for that. By the way her cooking hasn't improved and she is 45.

I remember when we got our first microwave. My dad used to yell at us telling us we were getting these rays shooting out nuking our food. One month later he was using it to soften up his ice cream and you didn't have to worry about nuking things. Though I remember my sister putting a hot dog in for 8 minutes and pulling out this emaciated blackened thing that didn't even resemble a hot dog. We still make fun of her for that. By the way her cooking hasn't improved and she is 45.

We must have the same sister :lol:

I don't have a microwave. We either heat it back up inthe over, or over the stove depending on what it is. I mostly bring whatever leftovers we end up with to work the next day, where I do heat them up in a microwave.

We didn't get a microwave until I was about 10 which my Mom still has BTW. I remember that you had to heat things up on the stove or oven which took entirely too long. So, we ate a lot of cold leftovers. MMM, cold meatloaf sandwiches and cold mac and cheese or cold spaghetti.

I'm addicted to my microwave for most things, however for reheating grilled meats, dim sum and other stuff I steam them. Takes longer, but they come out much better IMO.

I was about 8 or so when my mom got our first "science oven." I've hated them to this day. My wife and I have one but we almost never use it.

We reheat things in the oven or stovetop.

Most stoves still have a slow burner for keeping foods warm. Works well with cast iron pans.

I did not get a microwave before I was 25 or so?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Besides the stove top and oven, if we were out hunting or something Dad would heat up a can of pork and beans on the manifold of the truck engine that was running.

If I feel like taking the extra time I prefer to reheat leftovers in the conventional oven. Covered, 250-350 F, until it feels warm enough to my hand.

Top Bottom