What's new

My first time using a "shavette" style straight razor

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
We've all been there. Pack it away for a week for you to heal up. As you've noticed, it doesn't take much for it to catch on something.

Yep, been there done that. It sounds like you are picking it up pretty well! I hate that feeling of "oh crap, that is going to hurt" after slicing yourself!

I'm all about taking a break to get a nice close shave with the DE. It is so much faster with it after you've used the shavette!

We've all been there. Pack it away for a week for you to heal up. As you've noticed, it doesn't take much for it to catch on something.
Don't lose your focus with a shavette. Most of us that learnt to use a shavette have been there.

Once your mind starts straying that's when you cut yourself. I had to learn the hard way and probably still have a lot of learning left to do :tongue_sm

Yep, been there done that. It sounds like you are picking it up pretty well! I hate that feeling of "oh crap, that is going to hurt" after slicing yourself!

Haha that's exactly what I was thinking while I was opening up my new jumbo styptic pencil. I rubbed some of that all over my face and found nicks and cuts I didn't even know I had! My face felt all tight and puckered up after, so I had to finish up with some lotion and aftershave.

I went to the movies with some family and friends and they asked me what happened to my face. :001_rolle

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Shavette's give me my closest shaves.

1. Keep blade almost Parallel
2. Pull the skin tight
3. Shave with the angles
4. No pressure

Another question: About pulling the skin. How do you do that if you have soap on your face? Isn't it slippery?

OK, so the part of my sideburns I don't shave give traction to pull the skin there without issue, after that rub your damp fingers over an alum block, and you'll get enough traction to pull tight skin you shaved over, so you can move your grip lower after you do the pass on that area. I also pull downwards on the skin of the neck, pulling on the part below were I lathered. Geofatboy on youtube has some decent straight razors vids showing skin stretching techniques, as do I am sure several other youtube vids. Check some out for hints and tips.

OkieStubble

Another question: About pulling the skin. How do you do that if you have soap on your face? Isn't it slippery?

After lathering your face, take a wet finger and make a clean outline around your beard. Dry off your hands. Starting on the left of your face with the razor in your left hand, reach over the top of your head and using your fingers on your right hand, pull up at the cheek bone area, just above the border of your lather.

As you shave, you can re-position your fingers in an area that has already been shaved. If it is slick, rub your fingers on an alum block. Do this same technique with your neck.

I had my first successful shavette shave yesterday. No cuts, nicks, or scrapes. I kept the lather wetter than normal so the blade slides easier and I can see what I'm cutting. The no pressure, slow movements, and stretched skin advice helped a lot. Finished off with some Thayer's Unscented and Virgin Island Bay Rum :bayrum2: (Woo! That burns!)

Thanks guys, I don't know how I would've pulled it off without your advice, The cut from my last endeavor is pretty much healed, but I think it's going to leave a thin dark scar. I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing and try to at least get a shave with it once every other week.

OkieStubble

I had my first successful shavette shave yesterday. No cuts, nicks, or scrapes. I kept the lather wetter than normal so the blade slides easier and I can see what I'm cutting. The no pressure, slow movements, and stretched skin advice helped a lot. Finished off with some Thayer's Unscented and Virgin Island Bay Rum :bayrum2: (Woo! That burns!)

Thanks guys, I don't know how I would've pulled it off without your advice, The cut from my last endeavor is pretty much healed, but I think it's going to leave a thin dark scar. I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing and try to at least get a shave with it once every other week.

Excellent! Tell the chicks you got the scar saving a puppy... Enjoy your shaves! :)

I too am learning to use a shavette, but so far I have avoided all the horror stories. I just phased it in incrementally. First shave was WTG on cheeks only, then I added WTG face, then WTG w/ neck, and then the second pass and so on and so forth...each shave usually has a new challenge without being in over my head.

Top Bottom