What's new

GSW First Aid

I was wondering if there is a course out there for civilians for treating GSW, and if so if anyone on here had taken one? If so why?

Please no comments along the likes of "my finger is my safety" "If I shot him why would I resuscitate him" etc...

Looks like this EMS site has some info. Not sure where you can get a course, however.

http://www.emsworld.com/article/10319706/gunshot-wounds

Interesting read.
Its not really applicable to me as you can't carry anything here, and I don't go to the range very often because you need to be a member.
I am mainly curious if people who do carry, or are routinely around firearms do this sort of course. Or if you just wait for EMS.
If you are a Firearms Officer here in the UK you have to be trained in dealing with GSW if memory serves.

Last edited:
You might look at some Red Cross training.

http://www.redcrossfirstaidtraining.co.uk/

Some online ones.

http://www.redcross.org/take-a-class

I had GSW training in the military, and also First Responder Red Cross first aid/cpr courses, along with regular re-certification, as a police officer. Check with one of your local hospitals and see if they can refer you to something.

Cheers for your input, I was mainly curious if people do it. If I was around guns more (extremely difficult here) I'd do it, but without a good reason it will be difficult to get training. Also GSW are not common here, mostly stab wounds.

I've not taken it (got traumatic lifesaving in the military) but Tactical Response offers a 2 day medical course that covers "immediate traumatic injury" like GSWs.

http://www.tacticalresponse.com/course.php?courseID=36

Their shooting courses are top notch, I expect the medical class to be equally so. They also sell "blow-out kits" with the basic tools needed to initiate treamtent for several life threatening injuries. Instructions for use (needle thoracotomy, chest wound patch, etc) and they have a DVD for sale demonstrating it's use.

I think most professionals issued a firearm receive at least basic training (maybe not security guards and the like though, I'm not sure)through their employer but there are certainly places to go to learn the techniques, even if you are a civilian with no job connection.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Rangemaster in Memphis, TN offers a course called Tactical treatment Of GSW which includes shooting for self defense while treating a downed companion. Highly recomended.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Cheers for your input, I was mainly curious if people do it.

If that is your main question...in my experience most civilian people that are around guns don't seek out any special medical training...that I've seen in the areas I've lived in.

Edit: A first aid/cpr course is a great idea no matter where you live or what situations you are usually around. It could save a life.

Last edited:
If that is your main question...in my experience most civilian people that are around guns don't seek out any special medical training...that I've seen in the areas I've lived in.

Edit: A first aid/cpr course is a great idea no matter where you live or what situations you are usually around. It could save a life.

Agreed, did the St Johns first aid course recently. A skill everyone should know.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
My friends laugh at me because in my truck I carry a 1st aid kit, a roll of duck tape, and a box of super tampons. Shove it in the wound, tape em up, throw em in the truck, and haul yourself to the hospital!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I carry an IBD (Israeli Battle dressing) and a package of Quick-clot in each of my vehicles.

i was just asking about this kinda thing on a different forum. looking to find a pre built blowout/gsw kit, and not having much luck. was thinking, get a military issue IFAK and add to it. want one for taking to the range and when out hunting. for the incase event, to assist until help can arrive

I've haven't heard of it, unless its a routine part of some of the training courses that are offered. I'd say the odds of non mil or LEO gun owners having sought out such training is very low.

Almost all of the shooters I know are soldiers, and of them, about 75% know basic first aid at least. Among combat soldiers rather than support types, the number is of course higher. Most have done 'combat life saver,' which is an injury treatment course designed to help the injured person last long enough to get to the next stage of care, basically.

I am interested in the responses here too.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I think this type of training is becoming more mainstream than most people realize, at least among shooters who are serious about self defense and/or survival training. Most firearms owners don't train beyond basic firearms safety or CCW requirements.Those who attend multiple defensive shooting courses will be seeing these types of classes more frequently. It is a gunfight survival critical skill set.

Top Bottom