What's new

Favorite inexpensive fragrances (under $35)

I'll be honest and admit that I really enjoy some of the cheaper scents.

Nautica Voyage that was mentioned is my signature scent.

Pure Nautica Discovery.

Original Curve for men.

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger.

Has anyone ever tried or own Visit by Azzaro? Just picked this up today. Wow! Great fall/winter fragrance. Great cedar scent with a touch of pepper with a smokey incense note in the background. The pepper isn't too spicy and the cedar is softer and not very sharp. Seems like a great casual fall/winter fragrance. Any thoughts?

This has really intrigued me, to the point where I'm considering a purchase. After reading some reviews, though, some flags were raised so I'd like to get your take if possible:

I've read that eventually this scent turns into a sweeter, more musky/powdery scent on a lot of people. While I don't mind that, I do already have a few fragrances that have those notes - D&G The One Gentleman, JPG Le Male, and even Caron Pour un Homme could be considered sweet (though it is mostly vanilla that causes it). Would you say that Visit shares a lot of similarities with fragrances like Le Male and The One Gentleman? Again, I enjoy those types of scents but I don't want to have my collection dominated by them.

This has really intrigued me, to the point where I'm considering a purchase. After reading some reviews, though, some flags were raised so I'd like to get your take if possible:

I've read that eventually this scent turns into a sweeter, more musky/powdery scent on a lot of people. While I don't mind that, I do already have a few fragrances that have those notes - D&G The One Gentleman, JPG Le Male, and even Caron Pour un Homme could be considered sweet (though it is mostly vanilla that causes it). Would you say that Visit shares a lot of similarities with fragrances like Le Male and The One Gentleman? Again, I enjoy those types of scents but I don't want to have my collection dominated by them.

I would say it definitely does get sweeter/musky as it dries down but that is because of the composition of the basenotes being musk and ambergris. Of the three fragrances you mentioned the dry down is closest to The One Gentleman but less sweet as you still can smell the cedar. Based on the reviews I've read it seems the people that believe this is an incense dominated scent get a powdery feel as it dries down. This makes sense to me because if you combine that with sweetness I can see how the texture would feel powdery to these folks. When I think incense dominated scents I think Body Kouros from YSL and IMO it smells nothing like that. For me this is a cedar/wood dominant fragrance. While I do pick up on the smokey incense in the background I do not feel it dries down powdery but it definitely sweetens with the musk and ambergris.

IMO, Visit is unique enough in its overall composition to justify the purchase without fear that it will smell or feel too much like something else. Another selling point besides the bargain bin price to me is the versatility of Visit. I think this can be worn anywhere (casually, in the office, a night out). Although I will say its probably more suited for the first two. I can really see this becoming my fall/winter signature scent this year.

Last edited:
Everything by Azzaro. They can't make a bad scent. Especially good: Pour Homme, Onyx, and Elixir.
All of Bagart, Caron, and Aramis is good, too.

So after reading this thread I picked up C.O. Bigelow black and white. Pleasantly surprised with both fragarences. It happened to be buy 2 get 1 free so I picked up some C.O.Bigelow shaving cream too. Thought that would be a good mix with the Col. Conks lime.

A few that I enjoy have already been mentioned

Also like Bijan and Dunhill edition

X2 on the Oscar De La Renta for men

Last edited:
A curse on all of you enablers!
Thanks to this rocking thread, I ordered and just now received a bottle of Zirh Ikon. Good stuff!
$IMG_20141113_204828.jpg

Mio, that is definitely on my list to get as well.

I just picked up Cuba Prestige at Ross yesterday for $7.99. Definitely a knock off of Thierry Mugler's A*Men. It's not as in your face and potent as A*Men, its basically A*Men's kid brother. It still has very good projection and sillage. The longevity is great for $7.99. Not 12 hr+ A*men great but about 6-8 hours which is average to above average for EDT concentration. Definitely not a replacement for the original but for someone who doesn't want to shell out a lot of money on a fragrance its a viable option and for the price you are still getting quality juice.

Mio, that is definitely on my list to get as well.

I just picked up Cuba Prestige at Ross yesterday for $7.99. Definitely a knock off of Thierry Mugler's A*Men. It's not as in your face and potent as A*Men, its basically A*Men's kid brother. It still has very good projection and sillage. The longevity is great for $7.99. Not 12 hr+ A*men great but about 6-8 hours which is average to above average for EDT concentration. Definitely not a replacement for the original but for someone who doesn't want to shell out a lot of money on a fragrance its a viable option and for the price you are still getting quality juice.

+1

I like A*Men but find it too sweet to wear very often in the moderate cold of the SC lowcountry. Cuba Prestige is a great because I don't have to spend much on a frag I that I won't be able to wear very often.

+1

I like A*Men but find it too sweet to wear very often in the moderate cold of the SC lowcountry. Cuba Prestige is a great because I don't have to spend much on a frag I that I won't be able to wear very often.

Great point! I live in PA and I get decent use of my A*Men Pure Malt in the late fall and winter. But sometimes I know on a given night I'm just going to a small gathering for 2 hours its nice to now have this as an option to not blow through my Pure Malt. I know Prestige compares closer to the original A*Men but it still gives off a similar vibe as PM just lacking that whisky note.

Last edited:
Great point! I live in PA and I get decent use of my A*Men Pure Malt in the late fall and winter. But sometimes I know on a given night I'm just going to a small gathering for 2 hours its nice to now have this as an option to not blow through my Pure Malt. I know Prestige compares closer to the original A*Men but it still gives off a similar vibe as PM just lacking that whisky note.

Perfect excuse to order a tumbler of Laphroaig!

Hello Gents,
I've had my eye on Cuba Prestige for a while. Just haven't found a place to sample it before pulling the trigger. I am going to have to restrain myself until after the holidays...i wonder whether I'll make it. :)
Oh, the Zirh Ikon is a great fall/winter fragrance. And the price is stupendous!

Hello Gents,
I've had my eye on Cuba Prestige for a while. Just haven't found a place to sample it before pulling the trigger. I am going to have to restrain myself until after the holidays...i wonder whether I'll make it. :)
Oh, the Zirh Ikon is a great fall/winter fragrance. And the price is stupendous!

It might be easier to sample the original A* Men by Thierry Mugler locally. I purchased mine at Ross and they did not have it out to sample but for $7.99 I just blind bought. Its very close to A* Men except a little more toned down and not as aggressive in the opening. I had no reservation making a blind buy based on the near unanimous positive opinions on Fragrantica and Basenotes.

Top Bottom