What's new

Meatless in self defense

My kids keep asking when I'm going to make meatloaf again. Ground chuck around here requires a savings bond and the donation of at least one vital organ in the store manager's tissue type, so I've been making a black bean loaf instead. They love it!

I would easily be the world's fattest vegetarian (I'm making a go of it now as a carnivore). Lots of great options to explore.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
While I love meat . . . and indeed my wife and I had sirloin roast for dinner this very night . . . we've never had meat everyday. There are so many other options.

• Pizza
  • Pasta . . I especially like tortellini with marinara sauce or gnocchi. Spaghetti and garlic bread
  • Vegetable lasagne
  • Ratatouille
  • Eggplant parmigiana
  • Red beans and rice
  • Naan and dipping into roasted garlic hummas
  • Perogies
  • Pan roasted root vegetables
  • There are endless vegetable curries
  • Moroccan couscous
  • Falafel . . . in pita sandwich
  • There are all sorts of vegetable enhanced rice dishes
  • Hearty soups

There are dishes where meat is a minimally used flavouring or at least a reasonably small amount in a main dish. Black bean green peppers and beef comes to mind, or Singapore noodles, quiche, stuffed green peppers.

There are just so many things to enjoy.

We never eat meat - I eat a vegan based diet and unless my husband is starving he never goes to the store and buys meat, so if you need meal planning ideas just PM me - I have not eaten meat in nearly 20 years now. When I was in high school and college I wasn't that good at cooking vegan stuff and probably wasn't that healthy but have actually really started trying to cook over the past few years and there are all sorts of yummy recipes for you to try. I would say nix the faux meat and just go for veggie dishes, faux meat grosses me out lol

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
We never eat meat - I eat a vegan based diet and unless my husband is starving he never goes to the store and buys meat, so if you need meal planning ideas just PM me - I have not eaten meat in nearly 20 years now. When I was in high school and college I wasn't that good at cooking vegan stuff and probably wasn't that healthy but have actually really started trying to cook over the past few years and there are all sorts of yummy recipes for you to try. I would say nix the faux meat and just go for veggie dishes, faux meat grosses me out lol

Nice. Could you share your favourite one? Pretty please . . .

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The price of ground beef is ridiculous, considering it's made from mostly scraps. You can buy a nice roast, London broil, or a decent steak for less than most ground beef.

Eat more pork!

Have tried buying cheaper cuts of meat? Some of the tastiest meat is the cheaper cuts cooked slowly.

Have tried buying cheaper cuts of meat? Some of the tastiest meat is the cheaper cuts cooked slowly.

That's what is killing me as of late. No matter what, price per pound on beef won't go below $3.99. Same for ground beef as it is for top round or even a large hunk like a roast. I usually end up getting a whole chicken for about $1.99/pound. I should probably find a decent butcher around here that doesn't price fix the meat.

I'm late to the party, but make sure you check out the "I want some vegetarian recipes" thread started by Aaron (DoctorShavegood). Great stuff in there.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Wrong Mike I know, but half a cow grass fed will render about 215 to 300 lbs of meat. This is beef raised for beef not your retired milk cow.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
About how much does half a cow yield, Mike?

Note, this question may sound cynical, but I'm asking in all seriousness.

What was cynical? Unless you meant milk. :biggrin1:

And what's cynical about milk!

You're looking at about 55% of live weight for what you get cut and wrapped. So, for half of a 1,000 pound cow on the hoof you are looking at about 275 or so for freezer meat. Plus or minus a bit.

The last one we went in halvsies on we got just a bit over 200 pounds, and I guessed the live weight at about 800 pounds. I later asked the ranch manager and she said it weight a bit over 800 on the hoof.

I like them at about 1,000 to 1,200 pounds, but when you get a good offer to go in half....

The other MIke pretty much nailed it.

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
There we go. 22 years of listening to my wife's milk baron uncle paid off for 3.2 seconds. I really like the guy but I'd hate to face him in any negotiation. Just sharp and more sharp. "I'm just a simple farmer . . . " so it starts.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My brother has been raising Wagyu cattle. He took a steer today for slaughter. The calf cost him $1600. He fed it for 225 days. Cost to feed per month per steer is $45. So, that's $337.50 to feed. The butcher gets $400 to process. A grand total of $2337.50. He says he got 800 pounds of beef. So, that's $2.92 per pound.

$FullSizeRender.jpg

My brother has been raising Wagyu cattle. He took a steer today for slaughter. The calf cost him $1600. He fed it for 225 days. Cost to feed per month per steer is $45. So, that's $337.50 to feed. The butcher gets $400 to process. A grand total of $2337.50. He says he got 800 pounds of beef. So, that's $2.92 per pound.

Ah you see, had he just had some veal, he would have saved $337.50.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I cut through the meat market at the grocery store to get to the beer section. Brisket was $6.00 per pound at Randall's.

edit: ouch!!!

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

Tell him I'll give him thirty bucks for ten pounds of ribeyes and he can keep the change. :tongue_sm

Top Bottom