What's new

OK, I think I want to take a shot at SE, where to begin?

I just started DE shaving (again, after over 40 years) earlier this month, and am having a lot of fun. I've bought six razors (a Feather Popular and five, vintage Gillettes) and pairs of about 25 blades I'm working through. I'm shaving daily (which I haven't done for years!) just for the fun of it (and to the intense satisfaction of SWMBO, who says I look years younger.)

I like my two OCs very much, an Old Type SC and a NEW LC, and so am thinking I might get an OC SE, too. Note, these are not intended as heirlooms or investments or trophies...just fun things actually to shave with...I will not be replating anything or spending $400 on something that comes in its original box or with ancient blades. All I want to do is get a nice shave and have something that feels better in the hand than plastic.

So, where to start? Ebay? To buy a Micromatic? Anything else? I got the impression somewhere that SEs may be more aggressive than the average DE, maybe because there are fewer sorts of blades from which to choose...is that so? What _are_ my blade choices, and where to I get them? What are stropping razors (maybe one of those would be worth getting, just to have...and what about that crazy-looking SE that has what look like little gears around the head?!?)

Etc., etc., etc...you get the point. Inexpensive ( <20$) razors (one or two favorite kinds) and maybe a pack or two of blades to start...and any other advice.

thanks in advance to all,

dave

I just got one at the auction and tried it for the first time today. I have a NEW LC and RR Little Bastone. You can try to get one from BST or ebay. I can't speak to what's best but I have a 1924 Ever-ready shovel head. Shaves so close and smooth. I would warn the head is huge and may be troublesome if I shaved under my nose however I have a round beard so it works great for me. Angle is very steep but the shave feels closer than a DE with a feather and less irritation. I'm using a GEM Stainless PTFE blade a generous member sent me to start me out. I can't imagine I would get a closer shave with a straight nor would I really want any closer. I think my RAD is finally calming down, for now. I enjoy telling people I've started shaving with a box cutter blade :)

Last edited:
Get yourself a 1912 model which is IMO the best all around SE razor. Also, pick up some Gem PTFE coated blades. This is a good way to start your SE journey.

You should be able to pick up a nice GEM Junior or GEM Micromatic Clog-pruf off of eBay for around $20 or so. Both of these shave nicely, without too much irritation for me (and I have rosacea), so I use these on a day-to-day basis. A softer shaving choice would be the GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip, while the most aggressive is the GEM Micromatic Open Comb. I've been using the Walgreens GEM razor blades in the ten-packs (the shaving blades, not the hardware blades...) and they work fine. More specialized blades are available from Ted Pella and other venues.

Last edited:
I'd also suggest a 1912 as a first SE. It's not a true OC, but it functions like an OC. They are cheap and plentiful on the auction site. You also cannot go wrong with one of the Gem Micromatics, although the open comb version is seriously agressive.

The only real blade choice is stainless or carbon steel. You may be able to find them at your local drug store, or they can be purchased online. They can be purchased in bulk at considerable savings.

The carbon steel blades must be removed from the razor and dried between shaves, otherwise they will rust.

As others have mentioned, don't buy blades from the hardware store - they look the same, but do not have the same quality edge.

SE blades are generally sharper than DE blades (unless you're using Feathers) and tend to last longer. As always, YMMV.

Shaving technique is a little different than a DE, requiring a much more shallow blade angle. The blade is more rigid and has a different feel.

BTW, the "crazy-looking SE that has what look like little gears around the head" is a Valet Auto Strop, and they are very interesting razors. While there is very little to be gained from actually stropping a modern SE blade, the Auto Strops are good shavers and fun to use as well. They take a special Feather blade, although early models can also use a modified standard SE blade.

A word of warning: I tried my first SE a few months ago. Now I have over 40 of them (with 3 more on the way), and I cannot remember the last time I shaved with a DE.

--Bob

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
MicroMatic Open Comb, you can score a minty one on the bay almost always. The Micromatics were heavily plated (at least the chrome ones) and have survived very well. Blade choices are limited, get some from the shaving section at CVS or (horrors) that other chain drugstore.

It seems like you need to come to the dark side...straight shaving.

Just saying...

I _do_ think about it...but my wife says I'm too pretty to risk cutting off the end of nose, say, or maybe an ear. ;-)

give me a few months...I only started again the first week of October.

so far, I get closer shaves from a 1912 than the OCMM. I've had the latter for a long time, and am finding my go-to head-shaver. Strangely, it seems to clear more in a first pass, perhaps, than the 1912, but it doesn't get as close (nearly as easily or irritaiton-free) upon subsequent passes. I don't find the OCMM to be "aggressive" or "bitey" or any other such scary description they seem to get, at least often. Because of how efficient it is on first pass, and how un-scary it is, it's a go-to for one-pass "socially acceptable" shaves, in addition to head-shaves.

G-Bar is milder, but I don't get good shaves from it without a lot of extra passes/touch-ups, leading to irritation.

I'm undecided on a 1924 in that I've only shaved with it once. But so far, it's great.

That's what I know of SE razors.

I will say that the 1912, for which I paid around $11.00, is built like a tank and gives me BBS shaves. It's made me mad at the expenditures on some pretty high-end (stainless) DEs I've made. I'm not saying it definitely shaves better than the best DEs, but it probably does as well. My whiskers, my skin, my prep, YMMV etc etc. Always.

Last edited:
I have a Micromatic Open Comb that I will be putting up for sale. There is also a local antique store that has several 1912s for sale, and I could get you one of those if you would like. If you think that you would be interested in either of those options, just let me know.

Last edited:
I have a 1912, Cloug Pruf, Bullet Tip, Feather Weight, and OCMM.

I like my Cloug Pruf, and Bullet Tip the best. :thumbup1:

Hate my 1912. :blush:

Tell us more Inari7 -- are you getting cut, or getting irritation, or just not getting close, or what with the 1912?
"Hate" is such a strong word for an innocent little piece of metal!

Thanks to you all, and a special shout out to @Spidey9 for some advice on buying. Though both razors are in transit, and won't arrive before next Monday/Tuesday, I am now the proud owner of a Valet Auto-Strop and an Ever Ready...the one with the wonderfully patterned, hexagonal handle...I think it's a 1912, though the photos don't show the patent date, and I'm having a hard time finding definitive pics of a 1914, for example...and is there a 1924, too...or is that just a typo, substituting a "2" for the "1" in 1914? In any event, my next step is to trade some Big Bens or the like to Toothpick at the Great Blade Exchange, and get some single edge Feathers and Gems to try in my new tools. Pictures to follow, as soon as they arrive. Thanks also to AnthonyD for his kind offer to help with acquisitions, I may have a mild case of SEAD coming on...

Does all this make me a LOSER? And does PERDEDOR have a really great backstory, or is it just for LOSERs who hablan Español?

Or the not-dark side...an injector! :thumbup1:

As has been stated in another thread, the injector is indeed a SE razor. Worth considering.

One thing at a time...I am kinda looking forward to the Valet with those Feather blades. I used a Schick injector as a kid in the 60's, after mauling myself with a DE...too many pimples! So it hasn't got the thrill of a challenge, somehow, even if some earlier injectors with bakelite handles are handsome. Have you got interesting razors of the injector variety?

Also, I love "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." Sounds like something either an engineer or architect would say. And it reminds me of the old joke about the French philosopher (or mathematician, depending on who tells the joke) who dismissed ideas that "worked in practice, but not in theory!"

Tell us more Inari7 -- are you getting cut, or getting irritation, or just not getting close, or what with the 1912?
"Hate" is such a strong word for an innocent little piece of metal!
Hate is OK it hates me too :001_smile
I get have got one good shave with it, after that weepers irritation, and my first nasty cut next to my lip.
This razor is worse then my OCMM and my Fatboy set at 9.
I have gotten great shaves with my Bullet tip, Feather weight and Cloug Pruf. My next GEM will be a GEM G-Bar. My 1912 just does not agree with me.

Thanks for the answer Inari7.
I'm still experimenting with a few different SEs, but have found the 1912, so far, the easiest to get a close shave with. (Face shave, that is; head-shaving is a different story). Others that are more gentle -- for me this includes the G-Bar, and perhaps surprisingly the OCMM -- don't get me as close, and reward with a lot of irritation if I insist they try.

On the other hand, the OCMM is so far the best head-shaver for me... I don't know how to sort all this out yet!

Top Bottom