What's new

Gillette NEW Disassembly/Reassembly w/ before and after photos

Ah... Sorry I hadn't read that far.

So... what brand of water should I use? Also, should I warm it up in the microwave, or on the stove?

This is all so confusing.
Hmm...I would definitely use Voss water to soak it in. Any of that low quality water will just make things worse. As for heating it up, I would think about getting a crock pot out and turning it to at least medium.

Hmm...I would definitely use Voss water to soak it in. Any of that low quality water will just make things worse. As for heating it up, I would think about getting a crock pot out and turning it to at least medium.
+1 on the Voss water. It definitely gets the best results. Although, for heating the water, nothing beats a traditional wood fire. The smoke seems to add a little something but YMMV.

I have had mixed results from various water types. I think the important thing that the ones that work have in common is that they are the wet type. I've used the nonwet variety and no matter how hot or cold it was it just won't work.
This may be a YMMV thing but I wouldn't waste my time with the nonwet water.

Last edited:
I've had great results with ice soakings.
They say it's not good to boil razors, and probably that's why I've ruined so many.
Since I started using ice the results improved dramatically.

Can this method also be used on nickel plated NEWS, or is it exclusively for brass/gold plated? I don't want to take any unnecessary risks.

Can this method also be used on nickel plated NEWS, or is it exclusively for brass/gold plated? I don't want to take any unnecessary risks.
Not sure which method you are talking about as several methods are being discussed.

On a side note, I really appreciate the interest this thread has generated. To feel that I have added something really makes me feel warm inside.

Using your tutorial, I assembled my razor back to one piece, but added the step of using some JB Weld to secure the parts together so as to avoid a future mistake of taking it apart again. When it's done curing, I should be ready for many years of great shaves without worrying about it coming apart.

Fantastic post!! Very well written and a very clear tutorial. I am glad someone finally took the time to clarify the many steps needed to disassemble the New.

Top Bottom