What's new

CaD 2.0

I'm hesitantly, with all due respect, deciding to post this quick initial impression of the HTGAM CaD 2.0 barbershop soap, for those who are interested. This is the first time that I've been able to try the Synergy barbershop scent, but have tried 3 others (Gondolier, which had a very unfavorable scent to me, The Beach and the Pumpk'n 3.14, which both had favorable scents to me).

This newest version, CaD 2.0, is a different looking soap than the others, and seems to have an updated ingredients label. This is an opaque, white, soft soap; not translucent like the others I had. Looks very much like PPF "Briar" in the same size tin, if you've tried that.

This CaD 2.0 has a very nice scent to it; as a matter of fact, I really like it. I'm not an expert in "barbershop" scent descriptions, nor have I tried many. But I have noticed that there are different "types" of barbershop scents, if that makes sense. The only way I can describe it is to compare it to the ones I have tried. The scent of CaD 2.0 is not like Mikes, Shannon's Soap, B&M nor the new Maggard Razors barbershop soaps. It is like, however, RR Fine American Blend, only stronger, which I like.

Performance is very good. Easy to lather (very soft water down south, however), good protection, and nice and slick. My setup for this shave was my Savile Row 3122 and my 1951 Aristocrat w/Persona Med Prep blade. Finished off with Fine, American Blend aftershave. A very nice and enjoyable shave. So my initial impression is "Favorable".

$Cad2.0.jpg
$174.jpg

I used it today. It really is a wonderful soap. It feels very slick, but when I am shaving with it I occasionally feel a little less slickness than I want, but perhaps I just need to use more water. Great shave this morning with it. It is an instant classic.

No need to be hesitant it's a fantastic soap, some just seem to have other motives :001_huh: Some where just recently (as in the last couple days) someone posted a thread about three different types of "barbershop" scents. It was pretty good in breaking them down under powdery, antiseptic (not a bad type of anti septic) which is kind of where Fine AB and CaD fell in, and something else.

I was going to 3017 some SCS "punkin" this October but after some of the fuss about Synergy soap ingredients my curiosity got the better of me. This morning I just started on a tin of Cavendish, which I believe is the older formula. I'm going to give it a go every day for a few weeks and then post a complete review. Its described as a sweet pipe tobacco scent and I would have to agree. I typically don't like tobacco scented soaps...for example I cannot stand B&M's Roam scent. Synergy Cavendish I like though. It wouldn't crack my top 10 for shaving soap scents but it is different and not objectionable. I agree with the OP about performance (tho after only 1 shave), slick, protective, all the right things. Time will tell, will post a review late October.

Thanks for the update on the 2.0. Let us know how it goes for you as you get more shaves under your belt. Cheers!

Shoot, as soon as you said it smelled like Fine American Blend I really wished I picked some up before my restraint!

I have the Cavendish and the soap looks nothing like this. Are the 2.0s uniformly this solid opaque white color?

I have the Cavendish and the soap looks nothing like this. Are the 2.0s uniformly this solid opaque white color?

As of right now I have the HTGAM Synergy 2.0 of both the Steeplechase Sport & Classic, and yes they are both a white softer soap. When in comparison to the Synergy 1.0 or currently formulated 1.5.

I was able to snag one of these before they were sold out. The scent is just spectacular, almost a dead ringer for YSL Rive Guache EdT cologne. My only regret is not stocking up deep on Fine American blend AS (only have one bottle).

I was able to snag one of these before they were sold out. The scent is just spectacular, almost a dead ringer for YSL Rive Guache EdT cologne. My only regret is not stocking up deep on Fine American blend AS (only have one bottle).
Try the CaD after shave. Its a perfect match to the soap and I find it to have better healing qualities vs. the Fine.

What exactly is the difference between 1.0 and 1.5?

I had asked Douglas about that; 2.0 is a totally new formula whereas 1.5 is basically 1.0 with some extra/different ingredients in it to make it stiffer so that he could make it into a tubeless shaving stick (Razor emporium and CaD scent).

Try the CaD after shave. Its a perfect match to the soap and I find it to have better healing qualities vs. the Fine.

I was looking into it a while back but at 25 cents per ml I think I'll pass. The price for CaD AS makes Myrsol seem like a bargain. I'm going to wait and see if Fine comes back out with American Blend instead.

Top Bottom