What's new

Aftershave with Staying Power-My List

I find the razorock aftershaves to last well into the afternoon (I have XXX and One X) and I really their performance/scent. I really like Captain's Choice Cat o 9 tails, but it is a bit more expensive and does not last as long. It is possible since this is the first bottle I am approaching the end of, I may not be smelling it as much since I am used to it.

I know you are looking for aftershaves that are under a certain dollar amount, but there is some really great stuff that is just a tad pricier than 15-20. Sometimes you get more product so the cost evens out. Mostly I'm thinking of the floid offerings. Giant bottles! In the interest of this thread and to respect your limit I'd suggest snagging a few samples of some floids, Innsbruck, myrsol ect. You might find that the cost per ounce actually fits into your budget nicely. I've had my floid blue for a year now and still have about 3/4 left. Good luck in your search. Like your list, the fine products are outstanding especially the American blend

I'm surprised I haven't seen Gillette cool wave on here yet. It's my strongest, longest lasting aftershave. It's also inexpensive to boot!

Not trying to hijack this thread, but are there any Chinese aftershaves that would fit on your list?

Again, if you can get it, Pitralon Classic has good staying power, and is very affordable (at least here).

I'm surprised I haven't seen Gillette cool wave on here yet. It's my strongest, longest lasting aftershave. It's also inexpensive to boot!

I just ran to the big-box store to check this one out and this is spot on.

I popped the cap off and got a whiff of what I can only describe as high school. To me it smelled identical to the first aftershave that came with the Mach3 my parents bought me about a decade and a half ago, and not in a good way.

It was a smell that when I was 14 years old I thought smelled amazing. Slowly, but surely, the scent became a little too cloying (and I say "a little" I mean a lot). That and some female guidance; every woman telling me I smelled like a bottle of whatever was going around when I was in high school broken over a locker room urinal. Much too fresh and green for my chemistry and nose.

In just opening the cap I must've gotten a little on my finger and I can still smell it. Hours later.

So, staying power it definitely does have. If you can live with or enjoy, or swmbo likes the smell of Cool Wave then more power to you!

It's not for me though.

I just wish my girlfriend liked English Leather because that does remind me of the good days of my youth, not that they're gone, but I love the way it smells.

You are so right. I actually have some Gillette Cool Wave Splash that I bought in the Philippines over the summer, and I quite enjoy it. Strangely, I can only find the balm version here in China, which I also enjoy.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but are there any Chinese aftershaves that would fit on your list?

That's a very good question, and actually speaks to an interesting cultural phenomenon. I rarely catch a whiff of fragrance coming off of the
men here in China. Not coincidentally, the only aftershaves I find at the supermarkets here are Nivea and Gillette, with some Adidas sport aftershaves thrown in here and there. I remember commenting to my wife over the summer as we were visiting our condo in the Makati area of the Philippines, that I was catching whiffs of cologne everywhere there in contrast to here in China.

I just ran to the big-box store to check this one out and this is spot on.

I popped the cap off and got a whiff of what I can only describe as high school. To me it smelled identical to the first aftershave that came with the Mach3 my parents bought me about a decade and a half ago, and not in a good way.

It was a smell that when I was 14 years old I thought smelled amazing. Slowly, but surely, the scent became a little too cloying (and I say "a little" I mean a lot). That and some female guidance; every woman telling me I smelled like a bottle of whatever was going around when I was in high school broken over a locker room urinal. Much too fresh and green for my chemistry and nose.

In just opening the cap I must've gotten a little on my finger and I can still smell it. Hours later.

So, staying power it definitely does have. If you can live with or enjoy, or swmbo likes the smell of Cool Wave then more power to you!

It's not for me though.

I just wish my girlfriend liked English Leather because that does remind me of the good days of my youth, not that they're gone, but I love the way it smells.

Haha sorry to hear that! My fiance loves it and I am a big fan as well. I can understand where some might not like it as my mom isn't too wild about it haha

Mine might apparently too....

We were at the grocery store and she picked the balm off the shelf and said "this smells good!".

So I might be getting some soon. Not the balm though, my skin is too oily for balm even in the deep freeze of a -30 Minnesota winter day.

Mine might apparently too....

We were at the grocery store and she picked the balm off the shelf and said "this smells good!".

So I might be getting some soon. Not the balm though, my skin is too oily for balm even in the deep freeze of a -30 Minnesota winter day.

Oh wow I just realized we're both from Minnesota! Its funny you should say that though because I'm not a big balm guy either and almost bought the gel or balm (whatever it is) because I liked the scent but I know it probably would have greased my face up pretty good! haha. I am glad I found the splash so I could enjoy the scent and not be greasy.

Well, I'll most likely have it by the end of the weekend.

I'll retract my disparaging comments when the high school flashbacks stop.

Oh wow I just realized we're both from Minnesota!

Have you also had the same amount of difficulty in finding anything DE/wet shaving related in your neck of the woods?

Completely leaving the overpriced Art of Shaving store at the MOA out of the equation with their fancy oils and $10 5-packs of Merkur blades, the Twin-Cities loop seems to be a dead zone for wet shaving products. I've noticed a severe dearth of anything to do with shaving aside from the standard carts, disposables, and canned goo, aside from the occasional puck of VDH and the Nivea cream I spotted at Cub last night.

Last edited:
Have you also had the same amount of difficulty in finding anything DE/wet shaving related in your neck of the woods?

Completely leaving the overpriced Art of Shaving store at the MOA out of the equation with their fancy oils and $10 5-packs of Merkur blades, the Twin-Cities loop seems to be a dead zone for wet shaving products. I've noticed a severe dearth of anything to do with shaving aside from the standard carts, disposables, and canned goo, aside from the occasional puck of VDH and the Nivea cream I spotted at Cub last night.

Yeah it's been fairly difficult to find anything. I even went into a Sally beauty supply looking for things that others have found there on this forum but only found some personna blades and a few shavettes. I find Williams at a local hyvee and get most of my aftershaves at Walmart or walgreens.

I've yet to check out Sally Beauty, but there's one within a mile of my work so I should. I won't hold my breath on them having anything that other members seem to find "commonly".

When I was younger I used to see Williams everywhere, literally everywhere, but I have yet to see it anywhere in the loop in the last decade.

As far as blades go I've seen one solitary pack of 5 VDH blades once at a Target and once at a Walmart that I was randomly in.

I don't have any HyVee's around me so I'm guessing you're down south somewhere. All we have is Cub, Target, and Walmart up here.

Why is it that you don't want to buy colognes? I think when you're looking for the longest lasting AS it's just a sign that you're looking to take the next step into the world of cologne. I can understand if it's a cost issue, but you may never be happy chasing an AS with a 4 to 5 hour projection.

Top Bottom