What's new

Shout Out for Mike's Natural Soaps

I really dialed in Mike's a long time ago when someone posted that Mike's was a "thirsty," soap.

I never had a problem with lathering Mike's, it seems fairly automatic to me. (Though it takes a few more seconds' patience than some things, it's really not much more than that). However, I have acquaintances, and have read of people on the board, who found it more difficult. I think for many things it's just a matter of getting it "right-ish" once, and then it's easy. I have hard water. My very first soap was MWF, but it was a small sample and I didn't know enough to smear it flat against the bottom of a bowl, so it was impossible! Next time I tried it from a puck, it was easy. Then I tried with a brush I had formerly thought "too floppy" and it was still easy. It just takes getting it once... It took me a little while to get over the newb issues and try it again, though, after the first sample.

Last edited:
I never had a problem with lathering Mike's, it seems fairly automatic to me. (Though it takes a few more seconds' patience than some things, it's really not much more than that). However, I have acquaintances, and have read of people on the board, who found it more difficult. I think for many things it's just a matter of getting it "right-ish" once, and then it's easy. I have hard water. My very first soap was MWF, but it was a small sample and I didn't know enough to smear it flat against the bottom of a bowl, so it was impossible! Next time I tried it from a puck, it was easy. Then I tried with a brush I had formerly thought "too floppy" and it was still easy. It just takes getting it once... It took me a little while to get over the newb issues and try it again, though, after the first sample.

I have actually had a hard time getting a good lather from a sample of Orange, Cedarwood, and Black Pepper. It just comes out too light and airy no matter how long I load or how much water I use. However, I have a full tin of Barbershop and I hope I will be able to load better from that than I have from the sample. Like you mentioned . . .it just takes getting it once! So I will keep at it for sure. I absolutely love the scent of the OCBP, and Barbershop.

I'm always surprised when I read of people having trouble with Mike's, for me it's maybe a notch or 2 below MdC (which essentially spontaneously combusts into lather when a brush is near) in ease of lathering, but still remarkably easy.

It's one of the few that I haven't gotten right yet. I have been alternating between Mike's and Haslinger lately and Haslinger loads and lathers like a dream. I am just going to chalk it up to using the sample and expect the full tin will be a better barometer of the soap.

With all these new artisan soap makers who are putting out some incredible shave soaps, Mike's Natural Soaps will always be in my main rotation. There is a reason why he is always "sold out" on his inventory. If you have not tried Mike's Natural Soaps, pull the trigger because this is a great soap at a great price that won't break your wallet. Plus it is made in the good ole USA!!!

WARHAWK

All I've ever used was Stirling, of which I currently have 7 pucks still waiting to be used. I'm interested to try Mike's when he gets back from vacation, looks like a quality product.

It's one of the few that I haven't gotten right yet. I have been alternating between Mike's and Haslinger lately and Haslinger loads and lathers like a dream. I am just going to chalk it up to using the sample and expect the full tin will be a better barometer of the soap.
I hear this a bunch, and I sort of get it because I've had a hard time with other soap samples that, somehow, gave me the wrong impression. Before I figured out that I'm pressing samples into the bottom of a pyrex bowl before lathering. Grate 'em if necessary -- which it won't be with Mike's.

There are a couple of options. One is to use those sample square (rectangles) like a shave stick. Mike's is indeed thirsty, and seems to me to respond best to water being added gradually, so it may still take some real lather-building on your face (i.e., rewetting the brush and going at it), but if you have any practice face-lathering anything, it won't be hard.

The other is to press those samples down into a shallow bowl and load from it, make a "puck size" surface area. This makes a HUGE difference vs. just loading on top of a small soapbar-sized sample. And overload like crazy at first (and respect how much water will have to be added because of it, but still add somewhat slowly so you can see what you got as it lathers).

Anyway, good luck -- at least many of us think it's worth putting in the time. (Easier to say if we find it easy to lather, I know! But I'm sure the sample size is the issue, just with the mechanics of loading the brush).

Last edited:
I have to say I have been shaving with Mike's this whole week since I got my tin and I also find that it isn't the easiest soap to lather. It's slick and I get good shaves with it, but I find the lather to be on the thin side. I don't know if this is how it is for everyone, but I prefer my lather to be a little more cushioned. The slickness is just right. I am also still working on it, however. One thing that I have noticed is that when I pull the lather out of the brush it usually appears to be slightly watery. I don't think I am using too much water, or too little soap, but maybe this soap just takes longer to mix than most. Either way I love the scents, it's slick enough to provide decent shaves, and I don't quit easy.

I have to say I have been shaving with Mike's this whole week since I got my tin and I also find that it isn't the easiest soap to lather. It's slick and I get good shaves with it, but I find the lather to be on the thin side. I don't know if this is how it is for everyone, but I prefer my lather to be a little more cushioned. The slickness is just right. I am also still working on it, however. One thing that I have noticed is that when I pull the lather out of the brush it usually appears to be slightly watery. I don't think I am using too much water, or too little soap, but maybe this soap just takes longer to mix than most. Either way I love the scents, it's slick enough to provide decent shaves, and I don't quit easy.
It's definitely worth dialing in.

That is a better way of explaining exactly what I have been getting with Mike's so far, and like you said...not quitting easily.

My first ever shave today. I didnt dial it in. Still had a good shave. But lather wasn't there. Will try again soon

I overloaded my Simpsons Colonel X2L brush with Mike's today, and got enough thick-yogurt, hi-sheen slick lather for probably six or seven passes. I forgot how much that brush would hold... but I bring it up mostly to say that if lather is too thin, this is just not dialed in yet. A little more patience with working it, adding water a bit more slowly perhaps, is probably what's called for. (I admit it probably saves me 60 seconds to use my Strop Shoppe soap; and that feels like a long time relatively to work a lather).

Last edited:
I bought some mike's coconut. It is fine. Probably one of the best cheaper soaps, but it doesn't compare to some of the true top performers with my water.

Last edited:
I bought some mike's it is fine. Probably one of the best cheaper soaps, but it doesn't compare to some of the true top performers with my water.
This is clearly one of the YMMV things... I'd like to try some of your "true" top performers, perhaps. Could you share some of your favorites?

Top Bottom