What's new

inexpensive but good quality sun glasses

Anyone have suggestions for where to find good quality but inexpensive sunglasses -- may be $40-$60 range.

At Sunglass Hut, the sunglasses for men start at $100...maybe a couple of Arnette's below that, but most of the ones worth buying are $120+. For women, they sell a brand called Vogue and they have many pieces in the $60 range.

I have never worn sunglasses, but now that I've had cataract surgery I find the eye to be overly sensitive to light. For the last few months, I've just been wearing those funny, senior-citizen solar shield glasses, but I want to find something that I won't feel embarrassed to wear.

The $10 glasses in the drug store just don't feel right...neither in the way they open & close, nor in the way they fit.

Any suggestions for which stores to look at would be appreciated.

Foster Grants work for me. I buy 3-4 pairs at a flea once or twice a year. 5 bucks for regular lenses and 8 bucks for polarized. I don't cry if I lose, scratch or break a pair.

Wal-Mart has a Vision Center and they sometimes have decent sunglasses in there. Nothing name brand, so the prices should be in your wheelhouse. I will offer this piece of advice, get something that is polarized, it will really, really cut down the glare and light sensitivity that you experience when wearing them.

All that said, I think you should invest in a proper pair of sunglasses. Not something so cheap that you will have to replace them in months. Just a thought :) Good luck

Wal-Mart has a Vision Center and they sometimes have decent sunglasses in there. Nothing name brand, so the prices should be in your wheelhouse. I will offer this piece of advice, get something that is polarized, it will really, really cut down the glare and light sensitivity that you experience when wearing them.

All that said, I think you should invest in a proper pair of sunglasses. Not something so cheap that you will have to replace them in months. Just a thought :) Good luck

I am trying to avoid polarized ones because I have heard that some displays in the cars cannot be viewed when using polarized lenses.

You can get American Opticals for around $50 depending on the model. They also offer polycarbonate lenses. I guess for your purposes, polarized isn't ideal, but I always get them. Some LCDs will go black with polarized glasses, but more and more the displays are polarized in such a way that you should still see them at "normal" viewing angles. My smart phone, for example, goes black at a 45 degree angle relative to my polarized lenses. That's a conscious design decision, as most people aren't looking at their phone at that angle. Especially in cars, any "important" displays should work fine.

Look at Campmor.com. Mostly styles for outdoors/hiking, but great prices and a super quality seller.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Have a look at what Warby Parker offer online. I have some specticals from their Aussie equivelent and they were good value.

Edit: now I look, they may be a bit above your specified budget, but I still think they look good for ~$100

Last edited:
If you're a Costco member, I'd check there, too. Ours has a pretty big variety of name brand sunglasses at significantly reduced prices.

Nike, perhaps other sports manufacturers might be worth a look if you like their styles. Ex used to work for them so I used to get samples which were great for under a motorcycle helmet which is rough use for expensive ones.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Dillard's, and Macy's typically have sunglasses in that price range. Various brands but all good IMO.
They also usually have a lot of them on clearance. Look back in the cologne section, that's where I found a ton of clearance sunglasses.
I picked up a nice pair of Kenneth Cole Reaction for $12.

Also you can sometimes find really nice sunglasses at Ross or TJMax. Reduced around 80%.
I've seen Foster Grant, Kenneth Cole, Arizona, Nike, Sean John, and a few other well known brands.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
You can get American Opticals for around $50 depending on the model. They also offer polycarbonate lenses. I guess for your purposes, polarized isn't ideal, but I always get them. Some LCDs will go black with polarized glasses, but more and more the displays are polarized in such a way that you should still see them at "normal" viewing angles. My smart phone, for example, goes black at a 45 degree angle relative to my polarized lenses. That's a conscious design decision, as most people aren't looking at their phone at that angle. Especially in cars, any "important" displays should work fine.

+1 I have a pair of American Opticals and they are working well.

Revision Sawfly sunglasses can take a shotgun blast to the face, and also stop a shot from a .22 short.

I havent personally shot them myself I did however seen one that had been ran over by a 15 passenger van, the frames were shattered but the lens was intact.
Plus they run about $45 to $55.

You can get American Opticals for around $50 depending on the model.

This is what I was going to suggest. AO Aviators are all I wear.

They are good enough for Astronauts!
proxy.php

If you can sign up for usstandardissue.com, that is a great option for Oakley. You have to be military...and I think LEO, etc. Check out the sit and see if you qualify. They have a more limited selection of their glasses at great prices. You can find some for $60 pretty easily. AO are also solid glasses. I'd stay away from their glass frames for weight reasons, but they make quality lenses. Ray Ban has some in that price range as well, IIRC.

This is what I was going to suggest. AO Aviators are all I wear.

They are good enough for Astronauts!
proxy.php

Absolutely.

I have been wearing AO Navigators for some time now and love 'em. They are just as pictured in the black and white above. Not tear drop aviators but squared off at the bottom. Depends on your personal preference and face shape, etc. But the build quality is top rate and mine were around $60.00. Good enough for Gordo, good enough for The Captain.

Legion

Staff member
Hmmm... I'm interested in those AO sunglasses now myself. Shame I can't get them here. Still, it might be worth $20 postage. I need a new cheaper set of glasses for riding the bike to work, and they look pretty classic.

Top Bottom