proxy.php

D- Bulova #2

proxy.php

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I like D the best. Bulova #2
Simplistic and elegant.

It's got the colors that will match virtually anything too.

B. It's sporty and dressy. The best of both worlds.

I propose a counterpoint - by very nature of the definition, something cannot be "sporty" while "dressy" and visa versa. Chronographs shouldn't be considered dress watches, which typically fall into the category of leather strapped, incredibly simple faces/bezels - devoid of unnecessary decoration and complication.

B. It's sporty and dressy. The best of both worlds.
Watches are one of those things that you don't want the best of both worlds. If you want sporty, you get a Gshock. That's what I think of when I hear sporty watch. I would not GShock with a suit, nor would I wear a dress watch to the gym.
Now, a simple diver might fit the bill of both.

That watch could be worn in a formal and casual environment, but I understand what you guys are saying.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I really, really like B.. just can't figure out if it will go well with formal wear or not.

All very different watches, I think it depends on what you like the best about these watches, whether it is the case color, having a date display, a simple face or not.

Ignoring any judgement based on the color, I personally liked C & D best, while disliking A the most. I disliked watch 'A' because it appears to have two dial rings. The contrast between having both Arabic and Roman numerals was not my favorite styling point either, but it was those extra second markings that turned me away. Maybe that is due to having different markings on the chapter ring as well as the dial, but it looks a little odd in the picture.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I like D, the rest are too fussy, too much adornment, for a dress watch. Like Joel says, you can't have it both ways .. if you want a chrono, either a Speedmaster or Daytona.

Thanks guys! I really, really like B.. just can't figure out if it will go well with formal wear or not.

...It won't, not really.

IMO, D is definitely the best "dressy/anywhere" watch on the list - it is clean and simple.

A has a noisy/cluttered face with two dial rings (?!) and the inclusion of both minute and hour numerals.
B is well, a chronograph. It's just too many knobs and subdials to be dressy.
C would probably be OK. This example of the "open heart" is fairly subdued, although it may obscure the hands somewhat.

Personally, I like the "idea" of A the most. If you could find a cleaner version of the dial--consistent hour markers, no second dial ring, get rid of "water resist", it would hit the mark. It could go with a suit and tie or you could dress it down with a less formal strap (like a simple striped Nato). Even for a chronograph, B is too busy, and C and D do nothing for me.

Top Bottom