What's new

Vintage Watches

Gents, after collecting and selling Rolex watches for years, I have become interested in vintage watches. I recently purchased an Omega Seamaster and I am quite happy with it.

I plan on acquiring a few more vintage watches. I have noticed quite a few Hamilton, Bulova, Gruen, Eternmatic, etc., watches that are very attractive. What are your thoughts on these and other brands?

I love the old Hamiltons. My great uncle worked as a salesman for them from the 30's to the early sixties. I remember visiting him in the late sixties when I was 10 or 11. He had a case with dozens and dozens of watches, and he proudly told me about many of them, and the life of a salesman during that time period. I have had a thing for watches ever since. I have mostly newer watches, but I intend to expand my collection soon. My avatar is a limited edition 50th anniversary Hamilton Ventura.

Larry

semi Hijack:

I really like the 70's vintage Air Kings with the funky dial colors. Eventually I 'll get one, and a Nomos too. Which reminds me the old Glasutte (sp?) are nice.

I used to collect these , mostly pre-war.

At one point I had over 30 , what an incredible manufacturer. The craftsmanship and simplicity of these watches were beautifu.

Sadly, I am down to one - a late 20's tonneau in green gold fill

My favorites were - Putnam, Oval, New Square and the Whitney

I may have to pick up another -

I guess you've had your fill of Rolexes, but I think a nice 5513 Submariner or a Rose-gold and stainless bubbleback oyster are absolute classics.

If you go the Omega route, you have get at least one Speedmaster moonwatch.

And Pateks? I'd rather buy a car or pay for a semester of college.

I purchased a Masonic Hamilton about 20 years ago, only wear it on special occasions though, once in a "Blue Moon". It is a great looking watch and usually gets lots of compliments. Heard they were bought out by Swatch anyone know for sure?

I've got a rather unusual Accutron that I found many years ago in a hock shop. I used to wear it daily, but finally stopped when a watchmaker gave me a hard time after another broken crystal. I've also got a nice Gruen Curvex that was my grandfather's, and a much prized Girard-Perrigaux that was my father's graduation present, which he wore through the Battle Of The Bulge.

That said, I wear a Seiko Automatic daily, for I am destroyer of wristwatches. I love the look of the vintage Seamasters, but I always resist buying one, because in my life, it would sit in a drawer.

Gentlemen, I have set my sights on this classic watch. I really like it. What do you think? Is this a great watch to start with? It's a 1964 Omega Seamaster 611 calibre.

proxy.php

I wear a vintage Omega that I really like. I am in the market for more.

I have an Omega movement, stem winder, in a different case which has #s 1-12, minute marks, and a separate second dial; also a Rolex Bubbleback. Would consider selling either or both.

Hamilton was the last of the good American-Made watches

I do not love vintage watches. Perhaps the reason for this is that I have not found a good well preserved vintage.
that said...
Hamilton is one of the nicest brands out there. I really like their ventura style though I find it abit expensive for a mineral crystal (another reason to not like vintage watches)
Vintage accutrons. Real Accutrons with the tuning fork. Now, those were cool.
I also like Longines as I believe they make the best looking watches I can afford. Swatch ended up deciding to make Omega more expensive than Longines but initially they they had a similar status of luxury.

Blancpain Painfully beautiful, painfully expensive. :frown:

I have noticed quite a few Hamilton, Bulova, Gruen, Eternmatic, etc., watches that are very attractive. What are your thoughts on these and other brands?

Hamilton's are great. I think you can't really go wrong. I parted ways with a vintage Hamilton Auto that had the micro rotor movement, very nice watch...Certainly a bit higher end with the mechanicals than a lot of other watches of the same genre...

Check out some of the Vintage Gerard Pergeaux Gyromatics, you can find them on ebay for very reasonable prices and they are a very attractive watch. I'm also partial to Vintage Zenith's and Omega Constellation Chronometers. All are available at a reasonable price. I wish I could afford the watch hobby, but I'm house poor now.

Gents, I have recently acquired 6 vintage watches. I have a Hamilton at the watchmaker getting an overhaul and an Omega Mechanical on the way.

full

Omega Seamaster Automatic
full

Omega Geneve Automatic
full

Bulova Tank Mechanical 40's era
full

Longines Mechanical
full

Hamilton Automatic
full

Last edited by a moderator: