What's new

Best shaving soap in the market

Gents,
what is the best shaving soap in the market. I prefer soft and not hard soaps. I use duke 3 best badger shaving brush

thanks

Martin de Candre is probably my favorite soft soap. There are a number of cheaper artisan clones of it out there as well. TFS makes a very nice soft soap as well.

The word "best" has far too many potential interpretations. You need to be specific: is scent the most important to you? Is the ease of creating lather very important when you judge a soap? Do you have any special complexion problems you didn't mention? (Dry skin, oily skin, allergy-prone skin, etc etc)

As with many other questions like this one, you will many votes for nearly every soap out there, wether due to ease of lather, cost per shave or scent. Be prepared for a tidal wave of replies that my not answer your question.

Ease of leather and strong scent. Scent is not an issue as I am not allergic to any scent. So any scent will work. Skin isn't a issue either . I have normal skin. Price isn't an issue.

Last edited:
Your question may as well have been "how many soaps can we list in this thread?" Seriously though, as others have said, what's best for one may be worst for another. As far as soft soaps go, it's hard to go wrong with Razorock. Strop Shoppe is nice too, as is Cella. There's just so much out there you really just need to experiment and find out what works best for you.

For me Geo F. Trumper makes some very nice creams at a very fair price to value ratio. Almond is my current favorite but all of them have delivered fine shaves for me.

For me, "the best" would mean the one soap I'd want if I could have only one for all shaves to come. And that would be Martin de Candre - it is peerless.
But I rotate through others and find many to enjoy including Arko and Palmolive sticks, Monsavon, as well as Proraso Green.

You can't beat RazoRock soaps for price and performance.

Some of my faves in no order:

XXX tallow
Don Marco
Mudder Focker
P.160
Zi' Peppino
ABCBA

What's best is up to you and my favorite might not be yours. When you ask the favorite soap type questions you usually get a bunch of answers representing many of the lesser priced more popular soaps. This is normal because most people haven't tried very many soaps.

I've tried a couple hundred soaps so I consider myself very knowledgeable when it comes to soaps, and here are what I consider the very best I've tried. As to the ranking of these it depends on what day it is and what I've tried last as to may favorite. To me price is completely irrelevant as I sometime prefer a specific $8 soap to a $70 soap. There are high quality offerings in any price range if you look hard enough.

Martin de Candre ($70) - this one is expensive but a jar lasts a long time. It's excellent stuff.
RazoRock XXX tallow - ($10) - this is a copy of the $70 Acqua de Parma soap and I think it's actually better. Excellent.
RazoRock P.160 - ($8) - Really great Almond Cherry scent, performance is excellent.
Le Pere Lucien - ($40) - a really nice french soap with a really bold scent. This one is excellent.
Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow soaps - Excellent performer. I love the Baker Street and Barbershop scents.
Petal Pusher Fancies - I have the coconut soap and it's quickly making a place for itself among my top tier soaps.

I could shave with any of these soaps every day for the rest of my life and be completely happy. They are all that good. You won't go wrong with any of them.

For me it's Martin de candre fougere, expensive but worth it in my opinion. Glide, cushion, ease of lathering, and scent. Don't use it everyday, mostly as a treat.

This is not marriage. Monogamy is not expected. In fact monogamy is not even desirable. So much of the fun of this hobby is mixing and matching soap, brush, blade and razor. It is an endless search for the Holy Grail of shaving. I will go so far as to say that I don't want find the best soap. What would I do then?? Shave with the same soap everyday?? What a bore!

I rotate between a cabinet of soaps and cremes. I enjoy the usual suspects including Barrister and Mann, Mikes, Stirling and RazoRock. I Coloniali may be the best performing creme(I have not used their soap, but reviews are that it is superb as well). I don't love the scent, but it is a spectacularly good performer.

The joy is in the hunt.

Your question may as well have been "how many soaps can we list in this thread?" Seriously though, as others have said, what's best for one may be worst for another. As far as soft soaps go, it's hard to go wrong with Razorock. Strop Shoppe is nice too, as is Cella. There's just so much out there you really just need to experiment and find out what works best for you.

This is about perfect, both the there is no best and the specific recommendations. I think as an intro to softer soaps, it is really hard to beat Razorock

I can see one razor, one brush, one blade. I can never see just one soap (or cream.) But I do very much like the one D. R. Harris soap I have, a nearly scentless almond. Great performer.

Top Bottom