What's new

The only thing cheap about using a safety razor are the blades

Like a lot of folks, I got tired of spending the bucks on the cartridges so went back to using the safety razor that I had used in my youth. Sure enough it was a lot cheaper. I picked up a 100 Wilkinson Classic blades for less than 20 bucks. I bought a relatively inexpensive razor online for about fifteen dollars and some soap and a brush at Walgreen's for about 10 bucks. After an few months learning curve and realizing that I was getting the best shaves of my life and not only that, I was actually enjoying the whole process, I started spending some real money. Bought a nicer Edwin Jagger razor, a set of different kinds of blades, some different soaps and creams, a better brush and I still find myself looking at stuff on Amazon and elsewhere. So what started out as mozing to a less expensive ritual has turned into quite something else. Just wondering if it worked like that for any one else or did you manage to just stay with some cheaper blades and a razor?

Try joining one (or more) of the restraint threads. It might make it easier to slow down for a few if you've made an agreement to take a break for a specified period of time.

I picked up a 100 Wilkinson Classic blades for less than 20 bucks.

Either your age is showing or you have Mob connections, :sneaky2:

The "save money on blades" justification for DE shaving kind of melts away when confronted with real world experience. Fact is, many if not most cartridge razor users have found that -- with equal face preparation -- a typical cartridge gives six to seven (or more) times the number of DFS or better shaves than a good stainless DE blade will give of the same DFS or better shaves. When the costs are calculated on the basis of number of good shaves rather than on the price per blade/cartridge changes at the razor handle, DE shaving usually still comes out ahead, but the difference is pretty small, small enough to be insignificant. For instance, comparing the per-shave cost between a Schick Hydro 3 razor and a Standard Razors razor using Gillette Silver Blue blades in my own home, tossing the cartridge or tossing the blade when the quality of the shave from either perceptibly starts to go downhill, I find the per-shave cost is very comparable.

Thee are more supportable bases for a preference for DE shaving than blade cost.

Your not alone. I just ordered my fourth razor and have 3 nice brushes. May seem modest to some of you guys but it's way more than I ever intended to purchase when I got into this to save $..... wow what a joke that was lol!

I hear you and I'm really trying to keep it economical while still scratching my itch to experiment. For example I just bought a Muhle r41 replacement head to go with my r89 grande. I got the head for less than $30. So I'll basically have two good razors that cover a lot of ground for not much money. I've also experimented with shimming my r89 to experiment with upping the aggressiveness. Instead of the sampler pack route I bought feathers and just learned to use those. I don't have the blade bug. Pretty much my future experiments are going to be more on the technique pre/post shave products etc.

Last edited:
http://www.amazon.com/Wilkinson-Classic-Double-Safety-Blades/dp/B000GCSFWW
First one I clicked on so I didn't spend much time searching

The "save money on blades" justification for DE shaving kind of melts away when confronted with real world experience. Fact is, many if not most cartridge razor users have found that -- with equal face preparation -- a typical cartridge gives six to seven (or more) times the number of DFS or better shaves than a good stainless DE blade will give of the same DFS or better shaves. When the costs are calculated on the basis of number of good shaves rather than on the price per blade/cartridge changes at the razor handle, DE shaving usually still comes out ahead, but the difference is pretty small, small enough to be insignificant. For instance, comparing the per-shave cost between a Schick Hydro 3 razor and a Standard Razors razor using Gillette Silver Blue blades in my own home, tossing the cartridge or tossing the blade when the quality of the shave from either perceptibly starts to go downhill, I find the per-shave cost is very comparable.

Thee are more supportable bases for a preference for DE shaving than blade cost.

Last edited:
One of the reasons I got into DE shaving was to save money, but since I started I realize how much I enjoy it (as opposed to before, when I just went through the motions every day with my cart). So yeah, I haven't really saved much money but I have gained something I never expected when I made the switch.

I have to say, best title for a thread in a long time :) You really nailed it.

I'm not too deep in. I bought several brushes but all modestly priced. I bought two razors at full price and a few for not much here. Of course, I never cared about saving money. I just wanted a better shave.

Scott

imagine if DE shaving gave a similar result as cart did, we would likely be able to save as planned. fact is DE shaving renders someone enjoyment, that we dont mind spending more in return for some premium products and better experience (thinking of fine dining). moreover, man is born to hunt, for better. no one would consider using a cart as hobby i guess. it is the price and design of the cart that put me off. i, for one, see myself are going to keep enjoying and spending in DE shaving.

For me i stumbled into De shaving. I c
Are across. A Gillette slim adjustable at a car boot sale (garage sale) for £1 about $ 1.60 I already had a good. Brush.

Man the shaves are better. Never going back ti a cart!!

The "save money on blades" justification for DE shaving kind of melts away when confronted with real world experience. Fact is, many if not most cartridge razor users have found that -- with equal face preparation -- a typical cartridge gives six to seven (or more) times the number of DFS or better shaves than a good stainless DE blade will give of the same DFS or better shaves.

This may be true for you, but not even close for me. I have yet to get a shave as good from a cartridge as I do from my Muhle R89 with a feather or a silver blue. I went on a 15 day cruise, and did not take my Muhle but took a cartridge instead. I used two new cartridges (Fusions) during that cruise, and failed to get a single DFS during those 15 days. When I returned, with the same prep, I was back to DFS and BBS shaves regularly.

I will agree with your point that you will get more shaves from a cartridge, so the savings from a blade like a Silver Blue may not be as much as some think. However, I do not think getting more inferior shaves is the way I want to go. Also, I would use a good brush, a good shaving cream/soap, and a good aftershave with either a cart or a double edge. Therefore, those items do not enter my consideration of the savings from double edge or cart shaving.

I'm my experience, I get 7 shaves from a blade and 10 shaves from a cart. The savings for me is considerable. I have spent a bit more on everything else though.

I've worked it out that my cost per shave on TracII is 0.09$ per shave, where my DE is 0.07$ per shave. Pretty damned close really. Now onto other things though, I get 3 times the endurance from a stick of Arko than canned anything, and Arko is a buck or more cheaper, so that is noticeable saving. Whether Cartridge or DE my prep and aftershave are the same, thus that doesn't count. So really, if it's done 'right', yes it's cheaper. One just needs to stay away from the obsessive hoarding of fine creams and soaps. When it comes down to it, cheap local soaps and even ordering cheap sticks is no worse the shave really than a classy expensive soap just make the shave smell nice. I couldn't care less what my shave smells like, it's the after shave that counts.

That's my nickel's worth.

I've worked it out that my cost per shave on TracII is 0.09$ per shave, where my DE is 0.07$ per shave. Pretty damned close really. Now onto other things though, I get 3 times the endurance from a stick of Arko than canned anything, and Arko is a buck or more cheaper, so that is noticeable saving. .

The obvious question is, why don't you use the stick of Arko with the TracII? Why would anybody use canned anything with either a cart or a DE?

I should maybe say that better? I did that on memory. My shave never changes, I whip up my Arko for any shave, just here and there I may use the TracII instead of the DE. No cans for me.

Same story here. Started out fairly cheap. Now I have a stainless steel Above the Tie razor, Rudy Vey custom brush, custom lather bowls, close to forty soaps and probably a dozen aftershaves. I'm not saving money but I sure am enjoying myself.

That is true, as it is the acquisition disorder that is the downfall of most.

It is cheaper if you pick one (or maybe 2 counting a cheap travel set) razors, a soap/cream and AS.

The AD then kicks in and the cost goes up.

Still the shave for me is much better than it was when using a cartridge.

I do have AD but I can sell them for a lot more than I can those old Mach3 handles. For me I think it is cheaper the razors I buy are an investment in something that will last longer than me. I never recieved a good shave from a cartridge and I had a business trip and had to fly took a cart and it sucked for 3 days.

For some of us, switching to a DE was a matter of necessity. The reason being cartridges were completely incompatible with our faces. In hindsight, it was likely a combination of my terrible prep, product, and aftershave routines that ruined my face, but cartridges still give me really bad ingrowns no matter what prep, product, or aftershave I use to this day. Nothing short of chemical exfoliants can prevent the ingrowns I get with cartridges, and there are many people out there like me.

Is DE/SE shaving cheaper? It can be. You can get by with almost no investment and $20 a year easy... if your face can handle it or you don't think of shaving as a hobby. If it's purely business, then you will want purely results. I tip my hat at minimalists for that reasoning. Personally, it's an activity most of us do every day for upwards of 1/48 of our day (or close to 1/32 of our waking hours) and will continue to for most of our lives, so I think it's fair to invest a certain amount in it to make it enjoyable. There are too many activities we are forced to do daily that are monotonous or miserable, so taking time to make one of them anticipated and a pleasure is priceless to me.

An example: I pif'd my stepfather 100 shark chromes and an old ball-end tech I got for free as an add-on and he loves it. He's been shaving with his old Gillette foam he got 3 for $6 at walmart and uses no aftershave. His face can handle anything and his hair is very soft--he'll get 8 shaves off of a blade and used to use cartridges for a month straight. Monetarily, he probably spends less than $10 a year on shaving... closer to $15 if you count the blades. I imagine he'll be an arko user with the Omega 49 I got him when his foam runs out. It's just something he needs to do, not enjoy.

Moral of the story: YMMV. :lol: The moral to every story here on B&B :tongue_sm

The "save money on blades" justification for DE shaving kind of melts away when confronted with real world experience. Fact is, many if not most cartridge razor users have found that -- with equal face preparation -- a typical cartridge gives six to seven (or more) times the number of DFS or better shaves than a good stainless DE blade will give of the same DFS or better shaves.

I've been seeing this claim pop up quite a bit lately. It is certainly not my experience, not in the least.

With Trac II the first couple of shaves were fast, but over aggressive, imagine doing multiple WTG passes with a new feather, leaving the face raw. After that the shave quality degenerated quickly; pulling, dragging, etc. Blades would clog up with soap/whisker debris: nasty. I'd use them long after effectiveness as they run about $1 per blade.

With budget DE blades, Astra, or Shark for example, I get five or six great shaves. I've stretched that to about 15 shaves, but as Blades cost around 10 cents a piece, why bother? Also, the razor stays clean and hygenic.

Top Bottom