What's new

NOS: 56 Red Tip Super Speed on Ebay Sold For $280.22

Markets will ALWAYS return to an equilibrium in the long run unless their is an outside force that acts against this such as regulation or market manipulation. So, no in the short run this isn't necessarily a problem unless it's in food, housing, medicine etc but in the razor market it's not going to kill anyone.
I think we basically agree :001_smile

And the great thing about today's world is that research has become a lot easier for both sellers and buyers.

$Rich-Man--1024x872.jpg

VS

$cartoon-of-man-with-empty-pockets.jpg

This last guy doesn't shave because he can't afford a $290 NOS Red Tip.

$i-kid-i-kid.jpg

It seems to me there are two different markets at work here, the collector-grade market and the user-grade market. Is it fair to evaluate one using the terms of the other? It seems there's a lot of shifting back and forth between the two in this discussion. If the $290 is a collector-price for a user-grade-product, then yeah, it's out of control, inflated, whatever. But if it's a collector-price for a collector-grade-product, is it really out of balance?

FWIW: We had this discussion about CFM auctions the other day here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/405425-Expensive-Tech?highlight=expensive+tech

The only thing I know when I see an auction like this is that I'm not in the collector league. :tongue_sm

It seems to me there are two different markets at work here, the collector-grade market and the user-grade market. Is it fair to evaluate one using the terms of the other? It seems there's a lot of shifting back and forth between the two in this discussion. If the $290 is a collector-price for a user-grade-product, then yeah, it's out of control, inflated, whatever. But if it's a collector-price for a collector-grade-product, is it really out of balance?

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/405425-Expensive-Tech?highlight=expensive+tech

The only thing I know when I see an auction like this is that I'm not in the collector league. :tongue_sm

BINGO! I passed up on a NOS Aristocrat once that was actually a steal...but I don't collect razors, I USE them. I passed up on a great deal to hopefully find one of user grade and pay much less. But this way of thinking comes from lessons learned. lol

You've got a valid point. I'm a user and I prefer a decent looking razor - mind you not NOS etc. Any razor in decent condition could be replated and it will look new at a much cheaper price than the ones CFM gets. Collector's market is in its world and that's what CFM is good at.

I have two 1955 super speeds - one regular and one red tip. Not only does the regular one weight considerably less, the knurling pattern is completely different between the red tip and regular. Just trying to say it's not just the colour of the tip that defines a red tip - not to mention the blade exposure of course - but that's not particularly obvious to the eye.

And we wondered if wet shaving was on the decline. Somebody thinks not....

Well ... the average guy in Turkey, India, or Russia won't be interested in a NOS Red Tip from Ebay, I guess.

I think "collecting fever" is a sign of traditional shaving becoming a niche. How many people do you know who collect toothbrushes?

Top Bottom