What's new

Thoughts on new Gillette Flexball

:lol: Sounds more like Japanese cars in the 70's when some people would only drive them at night and would apologize to their neighbours if they were caught with them.

Not I, said the proud owner of a 1975 280Z!

Didn't mean to derail, just love my baby!

All you gentlemen have bashed this new razor.

Well, I've no connection to P&G, but went ahead and tried the new razor today.
Picked it up from the local AOS store, who told me that, if I was not totally happy, they'd be happy to take it back for full refund.
Shaved with it today, and I was impressed with the shave.
Naturally, a fresh Fusion cart and my normal full prep.
I only had to do a single pass on one day's growth, but it shaved smooth, clean and no irritation.
Perhaps the ball plus the springs help keep the blade pressure even.
Anyway, the shave was as nice as the previous day with a Feather DX.
Downsides...besides the cost of the handle and the cartridges, I wonder if the ball mechanics and trim will hold up or be a pain to keep clean, after extended use.
So, for what it's worth, that's my initial impression; I'll have to give it a few more shaves before deciding whether to hold onto it longterm.

Blast away, if you wish!
YMMV.

proxy.php

This is the first time I've actually seen the "Dyson Ball" razor.
It's very interesting looking and, it appears you like it !
I don't usually use the newer carts (since the sensor). However, unlike many, I seem to be able toget a more than decent shave out of them.
I will end up getting one as I am a Gillette collector...I was curious if you could comment further on your experience i.e. handling, feel, grip, ease of use etc.
That's a very nice set up by the way.
Thanks

I'll bet my life that I will be part of the 60% who won't :laugh:

I definitely won't, either. I didn't switch because of shave quality (though my shaves WERE lousy with a Mach 3/Fusion, I just didn't know any better). I switched because the carts were too expensive. That won't change.

All you gentlemen have bashed this new razor.

Well, I've no connection to P&G, but went ahead and tried the new razor today.o
Picked it up from the local AOS store, who told me that, if I was not totally happy, they'd be happy to take it back for full refund.
Shaved with it today, and I was impressed with the shave.
Naturally, a fresh Fusion cart and my normal full prep.
I only had to do a single pass on one day's growth, but it shaved smooth, clean and no irritation.
Perhaps the ball plus the springs help keep the blade pressure even.
Anyway, the shave was as nice as the previous day with a Feather DX.
Downsides...besides the cost of the handle and the cartridges, I wonder if the ball mechanics and trim will hold up or be a pain to keep clean, after extended use.
So, for what it's worth, that's my initial impression; I'll have to give it a few more shaves before deciding whether to hold onto it longterm.

Blast away, if you wish!
YMMV.

proxy.php

Not sure about the razor but I love your pics! You could ALMOST make me shave with a window scrapper based on the pics:D

Last edited:
I can assure you I'm in the 60% in that scenario. lol I went back and tried a Mach3 for a shave, and it was so horrid of an experience that I will never use another cart, ever, at this point.

I went from the Fusion back to the Mach-3 for my headshaves because of the cost.
I didn't get through 3 carts before I went back to the Fusion.

Anybody want 3 packs of M3 carts cheap? Meet me at work and they're yours. I'll even throw in my $60 Mach-3 handle if I can remember where I pitched it.

While you can say that this place is mostly a rebellion against the cost and nature of the modern cartridge razor, even this isn't immune from YMMV. I applaud those willing to take the time and effort to see if the Flexball is the gizmo that makes the multibladed cartridge better than before.

I am, however, waiting for the almost inevitable introduction of the Flexball Two and the TriflexSpheriod, followed by the FlexQuadball and finally the PentaFlexMaxball, "Because if one ball is smooth, two balls are better", followed by "Three balls for better shaves", then "Four balls always gets you a walk to smooth shaving" and finally "Each blade has a ball".

I see the Flexball is already available in a power version, so multiple micropulsing balls are only a matter time.

I think I'll wait for the dust to settle.

This is the first time I've actually seen the "Dyson Ball" razor.
It's very interesting looking and, it appears you like it !
I don't usually use the newer carts (since the sensor). However, unlike many, I seem to be able toget a more than decent shave out of them.
I will end up getting one as I am a Gillette collector...I was curious if you could comment further on your experience i.e. handling, feel, grip, ease of use etc.
That's a very nice set up by the way.
Thanks

ill have to keep some notes next time I shave with it.
however I do recall that I tried some twists and turns on that first shave, just to see if it would stall or tug, but to no avail. The razor continued to shave smoothly. Admittedly, the fancy AOS handle is a little beefy, but that's also true of their other AOS cart handles. I did a two or three finger grip, not fisting it, and kept pressure light. Thx for interest.

While you can say that this place is mostly a rebellion against the cost and nature of the modern cartridge razor, even this isn't immune from YMMV. I applaud those willing to take the time and effort to see if the Flexball is the gizmo that makes the multibladed cartridge better than before.

I am, however, waiting for the almost inevitable introduction of the Flexball Two and the TriflexSpheriod, followed by the FlexQuadball and finally the PentaFlexMaxball, "Because if one ball is smooth, two balls are better", followed by "Three balls for better shaves", then "Four balls always gets you a walk to smooth shaving" and finally "Each blade has a ball".

I see the Flexball is already available in a power version, so multiple micropulsing balls are only a matter time.

I think I'll wait for the dust to settle.

That's a lot of balls.

ill have to keep some notes next time I shave with it.
however I do recall that I tried some twists and turns on that first shave, just to see if it would stall or tug, but to no avail. The razor continued to shave smoothly. Admittedly, the fancy AOS handle is a little beefy, but that's also true of their other AOS cart handles. I did a two or three finger grip, not fisting it, and kept pressure light. Thx for interest.

So what's the premium on the AOS handle? Is the regular ball handle out or just the AOS? Still not seeing them in my area of Canada.

That is the Lexington edition $90.00

Ok, I'm definitely not paying $90 for a cart holder. If I do try it out I'll wait till the regular plastic handles come out.

Edit: of course, now I wonder how much the handle accounts for the great shave that was reported since it's likely substantially better made than the regular handles.

Not interested.

I switched because of the ridiculous cost of cartridges, and found out that DE shaving is remarkably smoother, closer, and less irritating. Even if the price of cartridges comes down I'll never go back.

I've never had such close, smooth, irritation free shaves since going to de wet shaving. I'm upset that no one told me about this "old" miracle way of shaving before now.

I'm just not interested in carts anymore....I have no deep seeded hate for carts, heck they served me well for over 30 years...I just enjoy what I'm doing right now to much to look back...will I ever go back?...who knows...but for now I couldn't be happier with DE's and soon shavettes and straights.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
40% of us here WILL buy this razor. But only 5% will admit to it. This is the Dyson of razors.
I'll buy it. But just the razor and one cartridge it comes with. I definitely will not, BIG will not, buy replacement cartridges.

I just want to use it to see how it feels and add the cartridge to my razor blade longevity test I'm doing.

Top Bottom