What's new

Cobra Classic SE Tour

Jeff,

Thanks for the review, this thread really needs some activity.

Please let me know what you think of the Strop Shoppe soaps as well as the Le Pere Lucien if you have a chance to try them before the week is through. If the RazoRock XXX is still in there definitely try that one as well. There's a Barrister & Mann one in there. If you haven't tried Barrister and Mann you owe it to yourself to give that one a go. The LA Shaving Woody Lavender is nice as well.

You might have to shave a couple times a day so that you can try everything. Ok, no pressure, I'll just wait and see what you try and look forward to your reviews.

Thank you,

Follow up to last night's shave, I definitely got BBS. My face is still very smooth and less irritated after a second application of AS.

After the initial scent test of soaps, I picked out b&m winter spice and strop shoppe black tie

I have also added Le Pete Lucien, LA woody lavender, the sandalwood smoke and Stirling anise. Not as fond of some of those scents but I do want to try the brands.

Also thinking I can do a 1 pass shave morning and night to get everything in :)

So I'm Jeff's Bro-In-Law, and I'm part of the TL:DR crowd. In an effort to generate activity in this thread, I was hoping someone could enlighten us newbies on what exactly is happening here.

I know I could go to page one of 49 and read from there, but I have three kids and not a lot of time. Could someone either summarize or update the rest of us?

All I get is two texts from Jeff showing the insane amount of loot he gets for a week. I got a new Red Imp yesterday and thought I was hot stuff, but noooooooo...Jeff has to show me his 1,320 new soaps and the crazy Cobra.

In summary: the Cobra is a beguiling creature, with a mystic allure and a sharp bite. But snake charmers all rave about its qualities, aesthetic as well as functional. I'm watching from afar - yet I Believe. And as for the talk of soaps etc... and Jeff's shopping habit - I bet your wives hate Sunday lunch with the family.

In summary: the Cobra is a beguiling creature, with a mystic allure and a sharp bite. But snake charmers all rave about its qualities, aesthetic as well as functional. I'm watching from afar - yet I Believe. And as for the talk of soaps etc... and Jeff's shopping habit - I bet your wives hate Sunday lunch with the family.

The last statement would be true if we lived in the same state...

Second shave tonight and I let my wife pick the soap. She decided on the LA shave woody lavender. I enjoyed the scents and was able to get a nice lather out of it. I have used lavender soaps before and like the addition of woody scent to this.

I did a 2 pass shave with less irritation although it was still a little tender. I also did a full face shave which meant removing my goatee. The cobra had no issues removing about 2 weeks of hair in that area. I also thought it worked very well getting close under my nose. Part of my luck with this could be that I have recently started using a straight razor which handles similarly.

The razor is very comfortable in hand. The grip on the handle allows for easy operation when going wtg on my lower neck which runs s to n. After reading through this thread again, I tried increasing the angle and it didn't seem to be as natural. I am guessing that I already have it at the angle that it likes, which is similar to what I use with an injector.

I will be taking a day off tomorrow to let my face heal. I think part of it is that I am used to persona labs or Gillette blacks, not feathers. Hope I have given everyone enough to hold them over.

So I got another shave in this morning with the feather blade, this is the 4th (about 10 passes) and it seemed to be tugging a bit. It was also not very smooth, so I pitched the blade in my bank and am ready to try the Kai's. I took my time with the shave this morning and got very little irritation so I am happy about that but it wasn't as close of a shave as other times. I also stopped at 2 passes. I did have a decent nick on my chin (during the s-n pass) where I felt it bite then immediately start bleeding. I finished the shave and was able to get it stopped with some pressure and the alum block.

One question I have about the blades, considering I prefer a coated blade(Astra SP, Gillette black), is are the feathers or kai's coated or standard SS blades?

I also tried the Strop Shoppe Barbershop with tallow. Lathered up with the new B&B essential boar and got decent results. I haven't used a tallow based soap for a while and forgot how creamy/slick the lather is. I may try the black tie and see if I can get better results with my badger brush since I really like the scents.

Shave 1 with the Kai this morning and I am very happy with it. It is what I was hoping it would be, still sharp enough to shave well but it provides a more comfortable shave. The alum block provided very little feedback compared to what I had been feeling with the feather. I did have a few nicks from yesterday that were reopened but nothing new.

I also tried the Le Pere Lucien today even though the scent was not my favorite. Used my WD 24 silvertip and smashed a decent amount in the bottom of a pyrex bowl I use for lathering. I have found this method works well for me when using samples. It was a nice looking lather and seemed to cover well. There was not as much slickness or cushion as I am used to with other soaps. After each pass I usually put a little water on my face and rub it around to feel for spots that need touched up. Typically I will feel the layer of soap reactivate with the water even before lathering for the next pass. When I did that this time my hands were not gliding over the skin but sticking like there was just water on my face. The scent is nicer once lathered and hangs with you for a while. I used captain's choice cat o 9 tails and can still smell parts of the soap through the bay rum.

I am forming final opinions of the cobra and while I have enjoyed using it over the last week, I do not believe I will buy one for myself at the current price. For my money, I would consider spending an extra $20-30 for an ATT razor based on reviews and the option to exchange any or all of it if not satisfied. Although the chance that I spend over $70 for a razor is slim to non considering a weber is on my radar as well. I am very appreciative to Michael and everyone else who has contributed to this thread. I have a few more shaves to enjoy with the Kai blade and a few more samples to try, then it will be on it's way.

Jeff,

Thanks so much for all of the reviews.
I'm really enjoying reading them.

Myself, I would definitely like a razor that takes the Feather Pro blades, and do like this one very much as it's an exceptional shaver once you figure it out.

However, my hold up on purchasing it is that I would want an all stainless steel version of it which unfortunately doesn't exist at the moment. I don't see them creating one either as they can't seem to keep this version in stock.

In my opinion, razors in the $150 plus range a razor should definitely be all stainless. It would be nice to also have a removable handle, so that it can be replaced with something heavier if I chose to do so. The handle isn't as much of an issue for me as the stainless.

I'd purchase one right away and would be willing to pay more for it if it were to have these qualities.

Thanks again,

A stainless model would be nice, and I'm interested in a photo or two of the current razor that's been traveling around to all you fine gentlemen. How is the plating holding up? Is or should stainless really be a concern?

Here is a SOTD pic for you. I have tried all the samples I wanted to now and it was good to get back to something I know. The Cobra plating is holding up fine, the only thing I have noticed this week is that it shows soap scum easily. I have only been rinsing the razor in water and I know this won't take much to get it back to it's shiny self. Very close shave once again but still getting a nick or two each time. I think it would take me another week or two to figure it out but it has been a good run.
$uploadfromtaptalk1399748568885.jpg

Last edited:
A stainless model would be nice, and I'm interested in a photo or two of the current razor that's been traveling around to all you fine gentlemen. How is the plating holding up? Is or should stainless really be a concern?

My Cobra has seen a few years use and the plating is still fine. However, where my wedding band touches the handle there are some scratches in the shiny plating, and there may be a couple water spots. My guess is if I borrowed SWMBO's jewelry cloth it would sparkle right up.

As may have been noted elsewhere in this thread, there is a razor in-the-making that is a stainless steel head only, and I believe it will allow you to use any standard DE handle (e.g., Weber, iKon). My guess is the shaves will be similar, but I look forward to trying another razor that uses the Feather and Kai blades.

I am packing the razor for shipping to Shamful7 (with $200 insurance), it will go out tomorrow after 1 final shave and cleaning.

I am going to keep the sample of Strop Shoppe Black Tie, it is an excellent performer and the scent matches well with my jaguar black cologne. I wanted to be able to add something to the box so I transferred it to a pyrex dish and refilled the container with some Taylor of Bond Street Sandalwood. This was my first purchase starting into wet shaving and got me hooked on it. I also tried the Myrsol pink aftershave and finished it off, so I will be refilling that with some Captain's Choice Cat of 9 tails (my current favorite AS).

Thanks again for the opportunity to try this out. I have enjoyed reading the thread and look forward to future reviews. Hope I have been somewhat entertaining or at least informative!

I am packing the razor for shipping to Shamful7 (with $200 insurance), it will go out tomorrow after 1 final shave and cleaning.

I am going to keep the sample of Strop Shoppe Black Tie, it is an excellent performer and the scent matches well with my jaguar black cologne. I wanted to be able to add something to the box so I transferred it to a pyrex dish and refilled the container with some Taylor of Bond Street Sandalwood. This was my first purchase starting into wet shaving and got me hooked on it. I also tried the Myrsol pink aftershave and finished it off, so I will be refilling that with some Captain's Choice Cat of 9 tails (my current favorite AS).

Thanks again for the opportunity to try this out. I have enjoyed reading the thread and look forward to future reviews. Hope I have been somewhat entertaining or at least informative!

Jeff - Nicely done, it was a pleasure reading your reviews. Thank you!

I'd like in if possible. Thanks.

You have to send poonjaji (Michael) a PM and ask to be added. That's how it's done with this tour.
Please share with Michael, in your private message, a phone number and email address that you can be reached at.

Also, there are some rules and guidelines in the very first post of this thread that you'll need to read.

Thank you,

Last edited:
Last shave this morning and I can say it was an excellent one. Seems a 2 day growth works best for me. I also used the Razorock XXX I picked up off the BST since I was impatient while waiting for the cobra box to get to me. I love the scent and was pleased with the performance, it helped the cobra glide more so than other soaps I tried with it.

After cleaning, it was back to it's shiny self. Repackaged everything and dropped it off at the post office this morning!

So, my final thoughts. Life has been INSANE, but I wanted to post my over all feelings after such a great opportunity with a great razor.

After passing the cobra on I grabbed my Schick 500 that used to get a ton of face time and went back to the cut down feather pros I would use with it. It reminded me that these blades are what really sings. It mows down thick growth just as well as its more aggressive and larger brother, but is fool proof, leading to quick, easy, smooth shaves. I could shave with this set up in the car on the way to work.

The cobra has a great feel as well. I had no issue with the handle with any pass angle, and the plating imperfections didn't bother me much (granted I didn't pay all that money for it). It felt more harsh then aggressive when I look back, but with a little extra thought or face time, I am sure it would become second nature and easy as well.

I will be looking at the razor mentioned above. A couple friends of mine have tested the 6 stages of testing leading to production and sung its praises loud. I hope that being handle-less will keep cost under $150 and that it is as smooth as reviews have lead me to believe.

But over all I have to say the cobra is a great razor and with more practice I could see it being my main safety razor back up for days I'm rushing and not looking to pick up the straights. But on a value front, a injector of choice matched with a cut down feather can't be beat and doesn't get brought up much anymore.

PS, I didn't use anything else in the box as when I went over it I had most everything but I'm bummed to hear I missed the myrsol and the kais. I will have to pick them up sometime.

Top Bottom