What's new

Driving a manual transmission.your thoughts.your experiences.

I enjoy driving a vehicle with a manual transmission.

I'm older, have some knee and a right arm problem. Mostly due to aging and parts wearing out.

All my vehicles and work vehicles, from about the time I was 16 to around 31 years of age....had standard transmissions.

Since then , except for motorcycles....they've all been automatics. Others in my immediate family either prefer not to drive manuals, or don't know how to do so. Generally others in my family, don't have the interest, or the amount of experience that I have with shifting.

I would drive a standard on a regular basis if things were different. But I need to share family vehicles with others....and that's fine. We all have compromises in life.

I miss the added control of a vehicle shifting gives me in mountain and winter driving. I also just plain enjoy shifting, working the clutch. I find using a manual affords a lot of pleasure to the skill of driving.

With a manual, I recall enjoying watching and using the tachometer to keep the engine in it's power band....whether I was riding my motorcycles, driving a commercial truck at work or whipping around in my '67 Camaro RS 327 V8.

Now I know that sounds nuts to those who just like to pop a vehicle in drive...but so be it.

What about you ?

Do you drive a standard, have you, but would never drive another manual...or do you aspire to driving a manual ?

What vehicle have you had that had a standard transmission that you most enjoyed driving...and why ?

I prefer a manual, but nowadays it seems like new cars with a manual transmission are either super bare bones (like AC is only available on automatic models) or really high end sports cars. My current car has paddle shifters which are OK, but I miss the clutch.

I recently taught my 16 year old daughter to drive a manual when we bought her an old Hyundai Accent. She learned faster than I expected and she loves it, too. Of course, I think she likes showing off for the boys that have no idea how to drive a manual.

I have always driven manual transmissions and still do. Don't be dismayed about automatics in terms of fuel efficiency and control. They have vastly improved in the last few years.

With a manual, I recall enjoying watching and using the tachometer to keep the engine in it's power band....

When I started driving and then buying cars, they were all manuals. About 15 years ago I came to the conclusion that I simply just didn't want to work that hard any more when it came to driving and so I changed over to automatics. Now, with lower back issues I don't think I'd care to operate the clutch all the time. My current car has a dual shift capability, full automatic and and electronic shift mode. I love the electric shift option simply because of the power band control. Not nearly the same as a standard, but better than nothing.

Legion

Staff member
When I was a kid learning to drive you could either get your automatic or manual car licence. Of course, all your mates would make fun of you if you only had an auto licence, and nobody wants that, so everyone learned manual from the beginning.

I think it really depends where you live, as to which one makes more sense. If you get to do lots of free moving driving, a manual is a lot more enjoyable because you have more of a feeling of control about how the car is working, particularly if your car has a bit of performance. But if you spend most of your time sitting stuck in traffic then I can see an auto being the way to go.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I would like to have a manual in a half ton 4X4 truck but Chevy and Ford don't make that combo anymore. Toyota Tacoma is available in stick, however.

What about you ?

Do you drive a standard, have you, but would never drive another manual...or do you aspire to driving a manual ?

What vehicle have you had that had a standard transmission that you most enjoyed driving...and why ?

I used to. My favorite of course was an AMC Hornet because it was the first vehicle that was all mine, and I drove it through college until well after I was married. Last was an F-150. My reason for choosing manual transmissions was gas mileage. In some cases the difference was very significant, though it seems to be less so today. But with my current vehicle I chose the all-wheel-drive option over manual transmission and the little bit better mileage.

Driving a manual transmission today is akin to wet shaving. It may seem outdated to most. However it is more pleasurable in my opinion, and it seems to provide quality results. Manual transmission vehicles have been known to receive better fuel economy and less brake wear. I operate a tractor trailer, and have on occasion used the automatic transmission types. They are problematic and lack the control that a skilled driver has, especially at slow speed turns. Well these are my opinions. The only vehicle I owned with a manual transmission was a 1989 Ford F-150 pick up truck. It had the 300 CID engine with a Borg Warner T-18 (4 speed transmission). I really enjoyed that truck. With the granny gear, it could pull about anything.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
there are pros and cons for both.
autos as said above have come a long way. There is the tiptonic were you can drive full auto or use the paddles/gear slick to select the gears.
This gives the control on revs but lacks the manual feel. Feels like a game not a real car IMO. I have only drive one on a test drive so take it for what its worth.
Auto do have cruise control so thats a plus. Not sure if anyone can drive your car is a pro or a con.

Manual are my cars of choice. There is the control of the gears, less can go wrong with them and are just fun to drive.
most enoyed manual would be the Mrs 6 speed Mazda Atenza. The manual just brings the car to life.

Those last AMC's weren't very good, but I couldn't turn down that Hornet. It belonged to a neighbor, only had 3000 miles on it, and the price was a steal. I wasn't in a position to be choosy.

Those last AMC's weren't very good, but I couldn't turn down that Hornet. It belonged to a neighbor, only had 3000 miles on it, and the price was a steal. I wasn't in a position to be choosy.

Mine was a 1970 Hornet SST. You never forget that first car. White with a black roof and the signature gas cap. Also bought from a neighbor for a song.

For the past 5 years I've driven a standard. It turns the hum drum driving experience into a skill. It melds man and machine together into one being, both exhibiting control and influence on the other. I don't ever want to drive an automatic again.

My current car is an auto and I've had it for almost 3 years. Every now and then, when I go to start it, my left foot stomps on the floor board...:w00t:

The manual transmission really increases the level of involvement while driving. I love it, but it is hard to text while shifting.

Top Bottom