What's new

Help me choose a pocket notebook

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
I like these
proxy.php

these are the size I was really looking for. 3x4 or a little smaller even. But with 80 sheets I think they might be to thick for my back pocket.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
I just realized I've had this on my desk this whole time. I was sent this in a PIF from a fellow member from Japan. I think it's pretty similar to the Rhodia.
I roughly counted the sheets and it's about 80. I'm going to carry it in my pocket today but I can tell its thicker than I'd like.
It makes a great little note taker for my desk though. Which I use it for just that.

Great thread here, Jason. I have been looking for some notebooks like this as well for my back pocket. Many are too thick or have glued in pages that don't last. Some good looking notebooks here that I want to give a try.

I just realized I've had this on my desk this whole time. I was sent this in a PIF from a fellow member from Japan. I think it's pretty similar to the Rhodia.
I roughly counted the sheets and it's about 80. I'm going to carry it in my pocket today but I can tell its thicker than I'd like.
It makes a great little note taker for my desk though. Which I use it for just that.

they look smaller to me, less writing space.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
they look smaller to me, less writing space.

That could be. I didn't measure it, just eyeballed it. I carried it yesterday and it felt to thick, bulky almost. or maybe my butt is just to big :lol:
I need something with less pages so it's thinner.

I got a cheap one at Office Max. The brand is Markings. It was in the journal area. It was a little stiff at first but is now shaped to my hip. I use it in a hot kitchen. Fountain pen friendly, bookmark and an elastic band to keep it shut. It has a small pocket in the back cover and is with me everyday. It is holding up well even after getting damp after a couple of stints in the dish tank when needed. Its just hard to stay dry when you're in a hurry...

The small Moleskine Cahier is very thin and the cover will take a beating. I carry one everywhere.
I've been using the Cahier for several years, but my covers always seem to deteriorate rather quickly. What's your secret?

Each one lasts about 4 months before I fill it up, but the cover starts falling apart within the first few weeks. Although it never falls off completely, it becomes extremely dog-eared and ugly looking.

Hmm...Not sure what the secret is. Usually carry in my right front pocket or suit coat pocket.

I've been using the Cahier for several years, but my covers always seem to deteriorate rather quickly. What's your secret?

Each one lasts about 4 months before I fill it up, but the cover starts falling apart within the first few weeks. Although it never falls off completely, it becomes extremely dog-eared and ugly looking.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Thanks to nemo I've been using this setup for about a week now. Notebook in my back pocket, pen in my front pocket, tucked in the corner. I'm impressed because I don't feel either one!
I sit on it, bend with it, walk, squat, whatever I do I don't know it's there. Which is exactly what I was looking for. 24 sheets feels like it's perfect. I'm still getting used to the graph paper, it just feels unnatural to write through all the lines. But I can get used to it in order to have a notebook on me that I don't notice until I need it.
I think I still want to try at least a couple other brands. But I know I want this size and no more than 24 sheets.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Happy to see that crease, it lets me know you're using it! Give us another pic in a couple of months.

Thanks to nemo I've been using this setup for about a week now. Notebook in my back pocket, pen in my front pocket, tucked in the corner. I'm impressed because I don't feel either one!
I sit on it, bend with it, walk, squat, whatever I do I don't know it's there. Which is exactly what I was looking for. 24 sheets feels like it's perfect. I'm still getting used to the graph paper, it just feels unnatural to write through all the lines. But I can get used to it in order to have a notebook on me that I don't notice until I need it.
I think I still want to try at least a couple other brands. But I know I want this size and no more than 24 sheets.
I like that pen, is that the new Cross Century?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
I like that pen, is that the new Cross Century?

I honestly couldn't tell ya. It is a cross and Century does sound familiar. I bought it back in 2002. It twists to open. And is missing the black tip. I think I've put 1 refill in it since I've had it. Never used it much but now I've found a good purpose for it. Fits nicely tucked in my front pocket in the back corner. Pretty durable being chrome too.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
I carry the B&B A6 Portfolio in my back pocket all the time. The leather now has that nice worn look to it, and the FC Journals break in real nice. I would be lost without it.

Top Bottom