What's new

Titan Stainless Straight from Japan - thoughts

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Isnt that the same modus operundi they employ to sell you JNat guys $300 rocks from some guy's backyard?

A few stamps on a piece of slate, and you guys go gaa-gaa!:w00t:

If it gave a nice Jnat edge $300 would be cheap!!

I saw a lot of Japanese knock off items with nonsensical hiragana and katakana too. Usually a cartoon character like Doraemon. I retract my earlier statement, as further research does show 大力人 to be a Chinese manufacturer's trademark.
Would love to see an example. I see cheap toys here in Taiwan every day, and your "nonsensical" hiragana and katakana may just be zhuyin fuhao 注音符號 (ㄅㄆㄇㄈ), a Chinese phonetic alphabet. When I see stuff with Japanese, it is generally correct Japanese.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Would love to see an example. I see cheap toys here in Taiwan every day, and your "nonsensical" hiragana and katakana may just be zhuyin fuhao 注音符號 (ㄅㄆㄇㄈ), a Chinese phonetic alphabet. When I see stuff with Japanese, it is generally correct Japanese.

If you walk around the night market or Shedong during the day you might see some if you keep an eye out. The last time I was there I remember the knock off umbrellas with the Japanese cartoon characters. My parents lived there recently for a while and always brought back those things. You aren't going to see these in normal stores, you have to hit the street vendors. I can tell the diff between hiragana and the kindergarten Chinese alphabet BTW. :biggrin:

If you walk around the night market or Shedong during the day you might see some if you keep an eye out. The last time I was there I remember the knock off umbrellas with the Japanese cartoon characters. My parents lived there recently for a while and always brought back those things. You aren't going to see these in normal stores, you have to hit the street vendors. I can tell the diff between hiragana and the kindergarten Chinese alphabet BTW. :biggrin:
Your initial post made it seem like it's a mainstream thing, but now I have to hunt for junk in small markets to find it. The legitimate market for Japanese toys is pretty big and the Japanese on those packages is authentic. Rubbish Japanese is much more niche than rubbish English.

I figured I'd mention the phonetic alphabet since you said you had to research before finding the name of the company is Chinese.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Your initial post made it seem like it's a mainstream thing, but now I have to hunt for junk in small markets to find it. The legitimate market for Japanese toys is pretty big and the Japanese on those packages is authentic. Rubbish Japanese is much more niche than rubbish English.

I figured I'd mention the phonetic alphabet since you said you had to research before finding the name of the company is Chinese.

Yah I jumped the gun when I saw those 3 characters that normally I don't see in Japanese. Call it a Nihoncentric bias :lol:. I should say a Gaijin Nihoncentric bias.

Anybody actually tried those Titan stainless steel razors?
I am looking for something low maintenance to travel with.
At 40$ including shipping, those are not bad. The ebay reviews claim they actually come shave-ready.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
For 40 clams I would go with a vintage off the BST or Hobbyist forums, or get a Gold Dollar.

For 40 clams I would go with a vintage off the BST or Hobbyist forums, or get a Gold Dollar.
Hard to find a stainless for that price.

I initially did not care much for stainless as my Dovo renaissance did not have a good edge when I got it.
A bit of CrOX fixed that and it has worked fine for me since.

I jumped in and ordered this one today:

$null_zpsc85c7831.jpg

Now I just have to wait and see if it actually comes shave ready. If not, I have a problem since this is my first real straight, and I've never honed a straight before. I also put in an order at whippeddog.com for the poor man strop kit.

Seraph's, are your 800's magnetic? Because mine is. And it also started rusting recently after sitting for a year or so without oil.

Now mine was bought from a third party seller and was from the first batch of 800's I heard about, so it's probably different from the 800's available now, but I may actually have to pick another 800 up if you can confirm they are in fact stainless now.

Seraph's, are your 800's magnetic? Because mine is. And it also started rusting recently after sitting for a year or so without oil.

Now mine was bought from a third party seller and was from the first batch of 800's I heard about, so it's probably different from the 800's available now, but I may actually have to pick another 800 up if you can confirm they are in fact stainless now.

The magnet test alone won't tell you, as some stainless steels are magnetic (though the rust is a bit of a giveaway :biggrin1:).

In fact, some of the top makers of stainless steel kitchen knives (eg Global) sell magnetic racks to stick them to.

Last edited:
The magnet test alone won't tell you, as some stainless steels are magnetic (though the rust is a bit of a giveaway :biggrin1:)

Actually the rust is less of a giveaway than the magnet test imho. Stainless will rust (though going to rust in 1 yr just sitting in a normal environment is a bit odd), but unless I'm mistaken even if it gains some magnetism from hardening, it will still only attract magnets weakly compared to other steels. This baby sticks to the magnet as hard as any other razor I own.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Most stainless used in cutlery these days is magnetic. VG-10 is a common steel for knives but considered rather pedestrian and not in the same class as AEB-L or SLD/SKD which are semi-stainless steels. Of course VG-10 blades can be had for 1/10 the price of the more modern stainless steels.

For knives, I've found VG-10 to be decent but not exceptional. It always seemed harder to get a keen edge and kind of "gummy" on the hones. The more modern stainless knife options are much harder to hone, but hold an edge much longer, sort of like C136 versus older carbon steel. A VG-10 kitchen knife hardened at RC-59-61 would not be a good edge holder relatively speaking, but it's working life is much different from a razor of course.

Cheers, Steve

My 800 is definitely magnetic.

And no corrosion.

If that Titan is not shave ready when it arrives, send it to me and I'll hone it up for you.

Top Bottom