What's new

Shameless Dime Store Aftershave fan

I used to be an avid Aramis user, but it seems now, for some reason to be just too heavy and the scent seems to knock me over. I still may use it on some special occasions. My favorite daily wear is, like some of the previous posters, Family Dollar Brut knock off. A big bottle that lasts for weeks for around $3.00 that feels great, smells great, and is not too loud is one heck of a deal.
cottontop

Pinaud clubman and Skin Bracer are in my "forever" lineup. I like Osage rub as well, and its priced like a drugstore aftershave :)

I got some Family Dollar "Spice" and while I like it in the bottle, it does not mix well with my body chemistry. Too bad! I should try the "new" old spice, maybe It will mix better with my body?

I have to find a Clubman glass bottle and a Skin Bracer glass bottle now... let the search begin :)

I just picked up a bottle of AV ice blue. My only aftershave treatment so far has been cold water and dickinson's witch hazel. But I'm pretty stoked to try the AV, I really like the scent out off the bottle. From what I'm reading here, skin bracer and clubman will be good purchases (and something I'll most likely be investing in very soon)

I love the drug store AS. I actually picked up a bottle of Jovan Musk a couple of weeks ago and I think I like it better than the AV Musk. And it wasn't expensive.

My dad was an Old Spice man, so maybe because I wasn't overexposed at a young age, Ice Blue Aqua Velva is like catnip to me. I love the stuff. L-O-V-E IT.

I also really like Skin Bracer and find that it performs as well or better than any (ymmv), but I love the scent of AV.

As the forum cries
On a cold and gray Chicago morn
Phil gets his aftershave that merits such scorn
At the dimestore
And his mama cries
Cause if there's one thing that she don't need
It's a boy who gives up stuff like Creed
For the dimestore

People, don't you understand
Phil he needs a helping hand
Or he'll grow to be a smelly old man some day
Take a whiff and you'll surely see,
Even if that stuff was free,
We should simply turn up our noses
And walk the other way

Well the world turns
His dimestore addiction grows and grows
It's yet another cheap bottle of Old Spice he chose
At the dimestore

And his splashes burn
So he starts to roam the streets at night
But he won't spend the money
And he'll never get it right
At the dimestore

Then one night in desperation
He sees a Clubman display
He buys the stuff, it's subpar,
Overapplies, but he don't get far
And his mama cries

As a crowd gathers round a smelly young man
Face down on the street with the Veg in his hand
From the dimestore

It smells like something died,
On a cold and gray Chicago morn,
Perhaps you'll hear this and you'll be warned
About the dimetore

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of the drugstore aftershave splashes. For some reason when I was a little kid I was mistified by those bottles that my Dad had sitting up there on the top bathroom rack. That and all my parents friends bathrooms had drugstore aftershaves in them. It just seemed manly and I still enjoy the scent of them.

My rotation is Pinaud Clubman, Pinaud Bay Rum, Pinaud Lime Sec, Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva Ice Blue and Osage Rub.

I will always love AV and Brut. Another reasonably cheap AS would be Adidas dynamic pulse. I got it from Wal Mart, and it cost about $6 or so... Just a heads up!:001_smile

Gumby I so appreciate the effort on that. It's classic.

I, myself, like to go all the way after dark and so I wear the Brut in the evenings. Keeps the bugs away!

Another one I really like but for some reason have not gotten any in a long time is Aqua Velva Musk. I'm going to have to pick up some and start using it again.
ct

Who knows about the old, old original Aqua Velva? Before the Iced Blue even existed. I've been trying to track down what it was. And if any modern approximate exists.

It was in a square bottle, not the round ones. And it was straw colored, about the same color as the Frost Lime.

It wasn't the Green Menthol Mist. I don't know about the "Original Sport' that's made in Canada. But that looks too green also. However it claims to be the original, except I cannot find it at any store here in the US. Maybe it's not imported.

I know the Iced Blue was a product made at government request. The original was first marketed as mouthwash instead of aftershave. But there was no mouthwash market then, so JB Williams changed the focus. But when it was issued to GIs they could drink it safely, so the government asked for a formula that contained a bitter tasting component to stop them. Thus Iced Blue was born, and it has ruled ever since. (My shameless Dime Store AS confession, I trade off between Aqua Velva Iced Blue and Mennen Skin Bracer often. But Florida Water creeps in sometimes. And I even have a bottle of Vitalis when I feel real froggy.)

Unfortunately the little sliver that's in my bottle smells just about like nothing. Does anyone have a clue what the original was like? I sure don't.

Attachments

• $AquaVelvaOriginal1.jpg
    $AquaVelvaOriginal1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 236
In honor of this thread, (or at least in the spirit of it) I have decided that this week will be dime store aftershave week for me. I used Old Spice today of course for Old Spice Monday, and the rest of this work week I will use the rest of the standby's; Aqua Velva Ice Blue, Clubman, Skin Bracer, then....well heck I don't have any Brut, or I'd use that. I guess I could do AV Musk, or The Veg. Looking forward to smelling like a million bucks with my $5 aftershaves!

I was thinking about The Veg, how some are chosen and some are not. Do the chosen smell good in it to others as well as themselves? In the same manner, do those who are NOT chosen smell bad to those who normally like The Veg?

Picked up Gillette Cool Wave today. Smelled great in the store but not as much on the face. Only four bucks though.

Top Bottom