What's new

Anyone else NOT a fan of big wedge razors?

As I posted about here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/362422-Another-quot-my-first-restore-quot, I recently got around to procuring an old Sheffield wedge, a William Hargreaves. I had never used a razor like this and with the raves this style often receives, I wanted to try one. I also wanted to try restoring an old razor, making scales, etc. I really enjoyed the process and learned a lot. When I got around to shaving with it though, I have not been so thrilled with it. I'm new to straight shaving--started in may--and so far my dovo best 5/8 is the next biggest razor I've used. I have one other hollow ground razor and a Torrey 5/8 near-wedge. The Torrey I didn't like the first time out either--the lack of auditory feedback was really disturbing--but I got used to it. The Hargreaves has been a different story. I've now shaved with it several times and I just can't get used to it. I've found that the weight and the near-complete lack of feedback lead me to use a lot more pressure when I'm shaving, causing a lot of irritation. I thought maybe I Haden put a good edge on it, so I re-honed it last night. This morning I got a very irritating shave and a not very close shave either. I had to pull out my dovo to redo my third pass in order to get it close and it was dramatically more comfortable! Clearly, especially with the direct comparison, I like hollow ground razors much better. Anyone else feel this way about wedges?

All I can say is thank goodness gold dollars are hollow ground--I just ordered 10 of them yesterday!

Can't say I really relate but thanks for the impressions, because I have some custom beefy (half or quarter hollow, semi-wedge) razors on the way since I actually rather dislike the feedback I get with my hollow razors (Heljestrand, Törnblom, Cattaraugus, and some kamisori). Don't have enough background with wedges to actually know, but have been hoping that the heavier grind will dampen the harmonics, and your description sounds like my assumption is probably not far from the mark. Have to wait to find out, but I'm a little less worried now.

The bevel may not have been completely set on the wedge. There is ALOT more material to remove to get the bevel set correctly. If that stage was not done correctly, your shaves will definitely feel like caa-caa.

Go back to the bevel setting stage and wail on that thing.

Big Sheffield wedges can be among the smoothest shaving razors out there.

Closest I have to a wedge is a quarter ground 7/8 Hart. It provides zero feedback of any sort along with outstanding shaves, shave after shave. Even the thought of pressure on the blade will draw blood. My guess is your wedge is not ready for shaving. Seraphim gives good advice. If you did the honing on your Dovo remember that you only had to remove a fraction of the metal that might have to come off the wedge. You might blue your blade to help determine what your stones are really doing.

I have only one real wedge but I love the look of wedges in general. Mine excels when I have 2+ days growth, she'll soundlessly go about wiping away the stubble with ease.

I love the feel and sound of a big wedge shaving. Some of them make almost a rumbling sound as they mow down whiskers. None of the wimpy buttered toast stuff.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Wedges are not my favorites for honing, that's for sure. They shave just fine, but I am partial to full hollows.

Wedges were the original straight razor grind. Hollowground razors developed from that and were an advancement of the technology. They came along for good reason. If you prefer wedges, that's fine. They have their strong points. Me, I like hollowground.

The bevel may not have been completely set on the wedge. There is ALOT more material to remove to get the bevel set correctly. If that stage was not done correctly, your shaves will definitely feel like caa-caa.

Go back to the bevel setting stage and wail on that thing.

Big Sheffield wedges can be among the smoothest shaving razors out there.

That was my thought and that's why I honed again last night. Both times after setting the bevel, shaving arm hairs, passed thumb nail and thumb pad tests. Even tree topped occasional arm hairs. Then went on to the coticule. Good 2-3 times as long as my hollow razors before diluting the slurry. Good undercutting and a little suction before each drop of water. Finished with about 125 laps on water. 100 laps on linen, 200 on leather. It's as sharp as I'm going to get it.

I've thought about sending it to someone with more experience for honing, and I may still do that, but I'm not too excited about throwing away $20-30 just to confirm that I don't like the razor...

My only wedge. It took me about 1.5 hours to get the bevel right. True silent killer, not my favorite but I like it.

I've only ever owned one-- but I wasn't a fan. It felt clunky to me.

That said, I have a few 1/4 hollows and love them. I guess I'm picky

Try experimenting with more pressure.
I assume you mean when honing? Ill give it another go on the hones I guess but if that doesn't do it, it'll be on the b/s/t before too long and you wedge lovers will have one less person bidding against you.

I assume you mean when honing? Ill give it another go on the hones I guess but if that doesn't do it, it'll be on the b/s/t before too long and you wedge lovers will have one less person bidding against you.
Put it aside and revisit it in 6 months. I felt the same way you did, but now I find them increasingly enjoyable.

They are NEVER fun to hone though.

Top Bottom