What's new

Red Wings Iron Ranger boots?

Wow. Wish I would have seen that link earlier, definitely would have ordered a pair.

Yea unfortuneately it lasted only a few minutes apparently. They stopped the sale really quickly. If you have a Nordstrom's Rack in your area (Mall of America, and Maple Grove) you can sometimes pick up returns or small defects. I usually see Allen Edmonds there for $200 or so.

Anyone had an sole work done yet? Just curious about $ and options you considered, oem vs other?

I was wondering that myself. For my 877's it was $79 at a Red Wing store. This got sent directly to Red Wing and resoled in shop. I was not terribly impressed with the reconditioning that I thought would get done, getting the soles done made a huge difference in comfort and grip.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I wore mine on a cool morning last week. They were quite a change from the minimalist shoes, and boat shoes, and flip flops I've been wearing since I put the IRs away for summer.

Even through another scorching Summer in North Texas, I wore them a couple of times per week to work on casual days. No issues. I love these things...

They're fine to wear in the heat as long as you do your part afterward and treat them to a pair of cedar shoe trees.

I tried some on today at my local Red Wing outlet. I typically wear a size 13 shoe. The 13 in the Ranger is definitely a bit big for me but the twelve is too small. I'd have to go 13. These shoes are pretty darn nice!

I just picked up a pair last week, hadn't seen this thread until after they shipped. I didn't know they were so well loved. Well count me in. Can't wait for it to cool down more, I wanna break em in.

I tried some on today at my local Red Wing outlet. I typically wear a size 13 shoe. The 13 in the Ranger is definitely a bit big for me but the twelve is too small. I'd have to go 13. These shoes are pretty darn nice!

Just wear a thick sock :biggrin1: Its a shame they don't do a 12 1/2

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I don't know if this is mentioned in this thread already. if it has, my apologies.

Yesterday, I caught a bit of the movie, The Shawshank Redemption. Although I have seen the movie a million times, I just noticed this during yesterday's viewing.

The scene where the warden opens the box of his shoes that Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) was supposed to have shined for him. But upon opening the box he discovers Andy Dufresne's boots rather than his shoes (at the same time the alarm sounds signifying someone has escaped).

And can you guess what kind of boots they were?

Thats's right. The Iron Ranger boot from Red Wing.

Classic movie. Classic boot. :yesnod:

I believe Ben Affleck's character is wearing them in "The Town" as well. As many times as I've seen Shawshank, I've never noticed that, but I don't believe I've seen the movie since I've become "Iron Ranger Aware".

Great tip-I'll keep a lookout for them the next time I see it (Shawshank Redemption is one of those movies I stop down and watch whenever I come across it). We all know that it's those boots that helped him accomplish what he did at Shawshank, and that his footwear was the least of his worries while in prison!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I've taken a a new job in my company of the last 12 years where I'm on the road for 2-4 nights a week. I haven't been wearing my IR's as much since they're not very convenient while doing the TSA-Shuffle at airports. My company's dress code easily accommodates the boots, so that's not the issue - it's pure convenience.

I've decided to just say screw it and deal with it. Iron Rangers are going to be my footwear of choice as I'm travelling to the cooler parts of the country. I'm based in the DFW area, but nearly all my travels take me to the Detroit area, Columbus, OH, and in two weeks, Rochester, NY. I'm not going in and out of airports the entire week-I fly in and stay there for the week, so it won't be too bad.

Cheers guys!

Can anyone recommend a good insole for these? I broke my foot a few years ago and never went to the doctor so they hurt that foot if I walk a decent distance in them.

Top Bottom