Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

Nice, Bill, is this where you live?

-------------------------------------------

Clive Christian C
Private Collection for Women

Top Notes: Bergamot, coriander seed, lie de vin (cognac oil, wine sediment), narcisse (daffodil), geranium, mandarin, petitgrain, tagete (marigold)
Heart Notes: Tuberose, jasmine, rose, violet, osmanthus (apricot aroma), ylang ylang (placed on the beds of newlyweds in Indonesia), orange flower, cistus (rock rose labdanum resin/gum with a smoky, marshy scent)
Base Notes: Amber, vetiver (thin aromatic roots), vanilla, tonka bean, sandalwood, musk

Um ... wow ... talk about a flower bomb - and in a good way!
C for Women is an elegant floral musk with resinous undertones. This is heady stuff, potently intoxicating, rich and indolent with creamy sweet floral notes. That's an intimidating list of notes but all I can readily pick out is the jasmine, orange flower, amber, and musk, maybe a touch of vanilla and rose, but there are certainly other floral notes that I can't identify or I'm not familiar with, and there is definitely something in the background that is resinous, smelling a bit like incense but "thicker." Could it be the cistus? I've had this sample since last fall and and I've been waiting for spring to arrive (turns out it's 50 and raining today, go figure) as I've seen the notes list and expected something typically floral but I didn't expect this to justify the $375/50mL price tag. On second thought, that might be a bit much for what I'm wearing but that's only because this probably isn't something I would personally choose to wear. But it does make me wonder if my wife would like it and also what the men's version smells like. I'd always thought the price tag for Clive Christian perfumes was because of their bottles but there is no doubt about it, this is one helluva perfume, made with extremely high quality materials, and thought through from beginning to end. I'm floored!

proxy.php

Last edited:
Nice, Bill, is this where you live?

-------------------------------------------

Clive Christian C
Private Collection for Women

Top Notes: Bergamot, coriander seed, lie de vin (cognac oil, wine sediment), narcisse (daffodil), geranium, mandarin, petitgrain, tagete (marigold)
Heart Notes: Tuberose, jasmine, rose, violet, osmanthus (apricot aroma), ylang ylang (placed on the beds of newlyweds in Indonesia), orange flower, cistus (rock rose labdanum resin/gum with a smoky, marshy scent)
Base Notes: Amber, vetiver (thin aromatic roots), vanilla, tonka bean, sandalwood, musk

Um ... wow ... talk about a flower bomb - and in a good way!
C for Women is an elegant floral musk with resinous undertones. This is heady stuff, potently intoxicating, rich and indolent with creamy sweet floral notes. That's an intimidating list of notes but all I can readily pick out is the jasmine, orange flower, amber, and musk, maybe a touch of vanilla and rose, but there are certainly other floral notes that I can't identify or I'm not familiar with, and there is definitely something in the background that is resinous, smelling a bit like incense but "thicker." Could it be the cistus? I've had this sample since last fall and and I've been waiting for spring to arrive (turns out it's 50 and raining today, go figure) as I've seen the notes list and expected something typically floral but I didn't expect this to justify the $375/50mL price tag. On second thought, that might be a bit much for what I'm wearing but that's only because this probably isn't something I would personally choose to wear. But it does make me wonder if my wife would like it and also what the men's version smells like. I'd always thought the price tag for Clive Christian perfumes was because of their bottles but there is no doubt about it, this is one helluva perfume, made with extremely high quality materials, and thought through from beginning to end. I'm floored!

proxy.php

Tim,

First, great notes on the C. I've never been intrigued enough to hit the pricepoint they ask for Clive's fragrances, but perhaps I'll have to get my SA at Neiman to make me a sample of C for men now...

As for the picture, it was taken about 6 blocks from my house on the banks of the Potomac River.

Tim,

First, great notes on the C. I've never been intrigued enough to hit the pricepoint they ask for Clive's fragrances, but perhaps I'll have to get my SA at Neiman to make me a sample of C for men now...

As for the picture, it was taken about 6 blocks from my house on the banks of the Potomac River.

Has all this warm weather inspired you to carry your kit and shave in the Potomac? :laugh:

Penhaligon's - LP No9 (for ladies)

Yes, you read that correctly, it's the "ladies" version of the fragrance. IMHO, it's the better of the two.

I have a theory that goes something like this; Pen's created this frag for a feminine market, and therefore marketed it that way. They found that men liked it a lot more than women, so rather than simply drop the "for ladies" element, they instead tried to modify the basic principals and developed the "man's" version.

While there is some resemblance between the two, it is only slight. The man's version is best suited to someone near 20, and going out to a club, while the "ladies" version is simply a very green, floral oriental. I find the men's version to be almost "bubblegummy" where the original is not. Don't get me wrong, I like the men's juice, it smells really nice, and is quite a break from the other offerings that Penhaligon's has. But is simply not as nice as the original. I have both, and wear both about equally, but I really have to find the setting where the men's juice will fit in, while the ladies is a bit more universal in it's acceptable environment. Of course, you have to be comfortable wearing a green, floral oriental type of scent for that to hold true. One thing's for sure, you won't smell like anyone else in the room.

Try both before you buy, because YMMV.

Great notes as usual, Bob. Bob certainly was the first to turn me onto Pens LP No. 9 for women as a great unisex scent, and I agree with him completely. Except I really dislike LP No. 9 for men. It is very bubble gummy to me. The woman's verison is very nice though. No bubble gum.

LV Piper Nigrum for me today. Great scentmaking.

Trumpers Wild Fern.

I think I like it! Very linear, but i'm ok with that.
I always think of Floid Blue as a high-end Aqua Velva, which would make Wild Fern a high-end Brut.
None of the synthetic and harsh violet opening that Brut has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom