What's new

How to hold for XTG, ATG?

Greetings everyone,
Having justed acquired a straight setup (kudos to Larry!), I'm finding it difficult... no, impossible to properly grip the razor for XTG or ATG. XTG being ear to nose (horizontal), ATG being jawbone to sideburn (upside down). I've tried inverting the "proper" grip, that is, two fingers on the bottom of the shank, thumb on top but the tang is left free and it was too unstable to even consider letting that near my face.

Any advice on proper grip would be appreciated!

Oh also (off-topic) since embarking on this straight thing, I've been staying lathered up (VDH) for much longer than my normal five minute DE shave and it is drying my face out something awful. Is there some type of reasonably cheap soap that will not do that and has no adverse effects?

Thanks in advance!

Learn to be ambidextrous.
If a grip with the right (or normal dominant) hand is not "working", then hand the razor off to the other hand.

WTG, I use my right hand for the right side of my face/neck, and left hand for the left side.
ATG, reverse... right hand for left side, left hand for right side.
XTG, I couldn't tell you.. it's whatever feels more natural at the time.

To help with the drying, do a pre-shave treatment of 50/50 glycerine/water. After completing a cheek, lay a warm towel over your face to rehydrate, then refresh the lather, and continue to your neck or other cheek.

Clever!
Maybe that was one of those over-thinking it things, but I will try both tips tomorrow and find out.
Thanks!

Ya, basically, what works for me on the north/south or south/north passes is to have the tang near the center of my face, or on the opposite side that I am shaving.
That also tends to keep my hand out of my line of vision.

For XTG, I am generally pulling toward my nose with the tang down (toe of the blade up), but some cleanup and buffing around my ears I might flip that over.
But I always use either a "traditional" grip (4 fingers on the spine side of the tang, thumb on the blade side), or a more Japanese grip with the scales lined up with the blade if the scales are hitting my neck or collarbone.

Duh! Here I've been twisting my wrists to keep right hand / right side going. The switch feels so much better. Thanks guys for the tip! It's funny how easy it is to get dogmatic about technique, especially when I'm too new to have one!

Here are pictures of suggested holds:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/How_to_hold_a_Straight_Razor

Merely suggestions. Jluger has a good point about being dogmatic about technique - the general advice around here is find and do what feels good to you and go with it. I typically use the more standard grips that are shown in the above page, but my ATG I hold it a little bit more like a Kamisori...

The grips shown are only suggestions. As you move along and your technique improves with the straight I'm sure you'll find the best way to hold the razor. Remember, as long as it works for you that's the way to hold it. There's no right or wrong way.

Bingo.
Some of the grips in the wiki, I simply can't do.
Specifically the XTG example. I can not "push" the blade across my face... I have to "pull" it, so no matter how I am gripping, the blade is pointed toward my elbow or my thumb.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Bingo.
Specifically the XTG example. I can not "push" the blade across my face... I have to "pull" it, so no matter how I am gripping, the blade is pointed toward my elbow or my thumb.

That's what I also do. I always make sure that I don't have an arm in front of my eyes. I posted my grips on the page and, as pointed out, those are suggestions. Your grips might be different!

Bingo.

one hands push is another's pull. however once you get used to the the holds, pressure and angles most should be much easier to do.

one hands push is another's pull. however once you get used to the the holds, pressure and angles most should be much easier to do.
I use both hands. My grip is a mirror image.
Right hand does right side WTG and nose-to-ear XTG, left side ATG and ear-to-nose XTG
Left hand does left side WTG and nose-to-ear XTG, right side ATG and ear-to-nose XTG

My only grip variation is I'll use either traditional or Kamisori on my neck under the ears.

Top Bottom