What's new

Semogue ownes club badger

Saw a post last week about this brush and was very fascinated... On the other hand there's a Muhle olivewood silvertip ( 0 91 H 13) that I have been dreaming about. I currently am using an EJ Best Badger from C&E that I quite enjoy but am at the newbie end of the brush spectrum. I had a big deal at work go through and wanted to get a brush as a reward for myself; was looking for an opinion on which of these you recommend. Thanks in advance.

I have not used any Muhle brushes.

However, I do have the SOC 2 band badger and it is an outstanding brush. It has relatively soft tips, a nice scrub, great backbone. It has produced great lather with all the hard soaps and creams I have used with it. Plus it is a beautiful brush - the handle is not only beautiful but very comfortable to hold. I have tried quite a few brushes (12-14) and it is definitely a keeper. I highly recommend the SOC badger.

I have experience with the SoCs, their predecessor 2009 LE and with the Muhle.

The SoC is 24/53 and a very nice 2 band, the SoC in ash or cherry has a pretty densely packed knot in 24/57.
I like the lower loft better, but that's also the better hair (read: it is more expensive).
As for feel, I think that they are well packed, pretty firm backbone and good softness.

The Muhle is different and just as good.
More of a classic handle, and their olivewood is my opinion stunning and flawless.
The knot is more bulbshape and the backbone is much more flexible - not meaning at all that it is floppy or soft.
Just a different feel and flow in the brush. Which I like a lot; I also endorse Muhle's silvertip fibers for these qualities.
Their loft might be a tad higher, giving the impression of a more airy knot. The 23mm you choose is a very nice size.
There's lot of hair in a Muhle knot though, so that's more a feel then a fact.

Both are excellent choices!

I have a SOC 2-band badger. For me, it is one of the most versatile brushes out-there, truly a jack-of-all-trades, if you know what I mean. Does everything well, soaps, creams, sticks, face-lather, bowl-lather...

I have experience with the SoCs, their predecessor 2009 LE and with the Muhle.

The SoC is 24/53 and a very nice 2 band, the SoC in ash or cherry has a pretty densely packed knot in 24/57.
I like the lower loft better, but that's also the better hair (read: it is more expensive).

As for feel, I think that they are well packed, pretty firm backbone and good softness.

Is there more than one version of the SOC 2 band or am I misunderstanding your post?

I am pretty sure that I have the 24/53 2 band knot (actually mine is closer to 52 because I requested the lowest lofted one from Leon).

Thank you everyone - Semogue it will be then! I'm off to IB to put in my order. The Muhle will have to wait for another day...

From Vintage Scent's website.

proxy.php

Thanks Guys! I might eventually sell off one of other brushes and get this. For some reason this brush does not get as much praise, I wonder why?

I have not used any Muhle brushes.

However, I do have the SOC 2 band badger and it is an outstanding brush. It has relatively soft tips, a nice scrub, great backbone. It has produced great lather with all the hard soaps and creams I have used with it. Plus it is a beautiful brush - the handle is not only beautiful but very comfortable to hold. I have tried quite a few brushes (12-14) and it is definitely a keeper. I highly recommend the SOC badger.

Goodness, I want this as my next brush

Nathan:

The 24/53 refers to the 2-band badger knot.
The densely packed knot in 24/57 refers to the boar knot.

Ahh, I was confused. Thanks!

Thanks Guys! I might eventually sell off one of other brushes and get this. For some reason this brush does not get as much praise, I wonder why?

Yeah, it seems to fly under the radar here. But it is an absolutely amazing brush. I shaved with it yesterday because of this thread and it was a pleasure as always to shave with it.

Nathan (or anyone else), where would you estimate the level of scritch on the SOC compared to other brushes you've tried?

A friend of mine has both the SOC 2-band and 2 Morris&Forndran brushes.
He says that the SOC is a tad denser, and that they are quite similar in what concerns to backbone and softness of the tips.

Unfortunately, I do not own any M&F to give you any first-hand opinion... :(

Last edited:
Ooh, after all those beautiful photos of the SOC 2-band, what could I do? I've ordered one. :001_smile (I already have a SOC boar, and it's my current favourite brush)

I have becoome smitten after those pics too... the MdC seems like something I desperately need all of a sudden... I mena a great brush demands a great soap, right?

Top Bottom