What's new

My Guess... 3017

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Are you going to replace the Tabac?

I will. The only soap that I felt compelled to replace immediately was the DR Harris Arlington since it is "go to" for occasions and the like.

When the collection has dissipated I will place an order replacing the Tabac and I think I would get a puck of IK. The Floris JF, when it is done, will not get replaced.

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Will you replace it with the unscented or go with one of the others? I ask because in Canada we only get the unscented soap.

I did like the Unscented but I think my next AOS would be a Lavender or Sandalwood just to make it a bit more interesting. I did not care for their Lemon scent.

I did like the Unscented but I think my next AOS would be a Lavender or Sandalwood just to make it a bit more interesting. I did not care for their Lemon scent.

I believe that C&S soaps come from the same manufacturer as those labelled by AOS- I'm really looking forward to trying my puck of C&S Oxford and Cambridge.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Shall we expect several months of

"+ OxCam"? :biggrin:

I am currentlyworking on a puck of Floris JF. Although the fragrance is great (which I follow-up with the JF aftershave and edt) this soap just doesn't want to lather. So far, I would give it a B-/C+ grading. Definitely will not be replaced.

Unlike the Cade wherein there was a learning curve to unlock its lathering potential, the Floris JF just doesn't provide copious amounts of lather.

This puck is several years old. Not a tallow soap either.

Has anyone purchased a new puck of JF and if so, how is it working?

That is certainly to be expected at some point Bob, but I think that I should use the DRH Lavender soap before O&C otherwise I may be completely spoiled. Next winter will likely be MWF again (yes there is another puck in the den) and I still have a few other things to work through. I'm sure you know what I'm saying :biggrin1:

Tony-Check out this thread for all of the gory details.

Thanks Bob. I looked through the thread again (seen it before). I couldn't find any explicit tips on making the lather more protective and cushiony. I'll try bowl lathering with the 1305 and I'll give distilled water a try before the puck gets stored and the bowl becomes home to another soap ... perhaps Arlington.

Thanks Bob. I looked through the thread again (seen it before). I couldn't find any explicit tips on making the lather more protective and cushiony. I'll try bowl lathering with the 1305 and I'll give distilled water a try before the puck gets stored and the bowl becomes home to another soap ... perhaps Arlington.
The big thing for me was loading with a damp brush on a damp soap surface. Too much water up front made it a frothy mess. Once loaded, I slowly added water so that the lather was slowly constructed, rather than whipped together. That gave me a really good rich lather that was stable, and could be thinned as desired to get more slickness.

I am currentlyworking on a puck of Floris JF. Although the fragrance is great (which I follow-up with the JF aftershave and edt) this soap just doesn't want to lather. So far, I would give it a B-/C+ grading. Definitely will not be replaced.

Unlike the Cade wherein there was a learning curve to unlock its lathering potential, the Floris JF just doesn't provide copious amounts of lather.

This puck is several years old. Not a tallow soap either.

Has anyone purchased a new puck of JF and if so, how is it working?

The puck I have is from 2007 and my JF is currently being used up too. I thought it was the tallow version, but the box is long gone. It lathers fairly well, I would say middle of the road and gives average lather. I have not been using any dense brushes on the soap or any silvertips, so that might have some bearing on my results too.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The puck I have is from 2007 and my JF is currently being used up too. I thought it was the tallow version, but the box is long gone. It lathers fairly well, I would say middle of the road and gives average lather. I have not been using any dense brushes on the soap or any silvertips, so that might have some bearing on my results too.

I am quite sure that the puck I am using is not a tallow version. I have run through the gamut of brushes that I have with a Shavemac Finest Silvertip, a EJ Medium Silvertip, a Rooney 3/1 Super and a host of different Simpsons and the result is the same.

I would concur with your assessment of a middle-of-the-road/average lather. Does not come close to DR Harris, Tabac, Pens and a host of others. Thankfully, the fragrance makes it pleasurable. If the scent wasn't there, finishing this puck would be a difficult undertaking. But, I am committed (or at least I should be. :biggrin:)

Doing the Brush Chronicle the last week and an half, I've been playing around with a bunch of soaps and creams and just jumping around like I used to do before I got on this bandwagon. I've gotten some really great lathes and some really mediocre ones too, which led to the following conclusion: :idea:.

Life's too short to use bad soap. The Floris 89 last week was just dreadful to use, and I don't care how good it smells, I'm not interested in working too hard to get a lather in the morning. Today I used the Harris Arlington stick, and it was pure nirvana. Awesome slick lather. Fantastic scent. What's not to like?

I have a boatload of soaps, and I know which ones are awesome, AoS, C&S, Valobra stick, La Toja bowl and stick, Harris, MWF. I also know which ones are mediocre performers, Cade, Floris, Trumpers, QED. I am seriously considering a major purge.

I have a boatload of soaps, and I know which ones are awesome, AoS, C&S, Valobra stick, La Toja bowl and stick, Harris, MWF. I also know which ones are mediocre performers, Cade, Floris, Trumpers, QED. I am seriously considering a major purge.

Life is too short.

Also, there are people who probably enjoy those soaps. You can make them happy by letting them have a soap they genuinely enjoy, while you take the cash and buy a soap you enjoy. Maximum enjoyment for everyone :thumbup1:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Wow! How did I miss this thread? I agree with others that life is too short to use bad soap.

I ran my supply dangerously low and now I have eight new ones on the way from West Coast Shaving. Life is good, lather well.

Gentlemen,

I have been really enjoying my puck of + Fitjar and it is an excellent soap, however tomorrow is the day of a British Royal Family Wedding. I somehow feel that I should be using something British.......

Top Bottom