rodeo

My contribution can be found here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=158947
-
proxy.php

-
proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
This little flea of a brush arrived recently, I bought it thinking it was a wee-scot. However not too sure, is it possible that it's a nano-scot?

Here's the specs, 12mm knot 35mm loft, 64mm total height...and I thought my Hoffritz travel brush was small.

proxy.php
[/IMG]

proxy.php
[/IMG]

:biggrin:

proxy.php
[/IMG]

The writing is faded, but it looks like the same style as my Wee Scot. Close to the same style. I think it's a Wee Scot myself, perhaps the Nano. Nice score!

I was bidding on that wee scot as well... I KNEW it would end up in this thread eventually.

Congrats!

p.s. -- if you're thinking of getting rid of it keep me in mind! I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat!

Last edited:
Greatest thread ever! I clicked through all 30+ pages, the depth and color of these handles are unbelievable, true treasures and all the more so since the transformation of the catalin unexpectedly improved their beauty tenfold and we'll never see their like again.

Common guys there must be more butterscotch beauties arround of you. In this days most of our friends should be on vacation so thread is going slowly.

Not only is this a great thread...it's a bloody dangerous thread...you need guts of steel to make it through the 30+ pages without picking up butterscotch SBAD....

Here are two Made Rites, a 303 and a 95 in the same design but different sizes. Both with original knots. The larger is a gorgeous "pure" badger knot that has to be a silver tip. Huge, lush, soft with a beautiful feel when dry, but.......when wet it turns into a floor mop. For this spine loving face latherer it is way too soft and floppy, but I probably won't restore the knot as this one looks gorgeous and I have 5 lifetimes of good brushes in my collection. The smaller brush I just picked up in an antique store. It has an interesting variable patina and a fan knot. The center of the 'badger-cased' knot is a bit sparse (from wear, the bristle center or intentionally thinned?) but the hair and bristle is obviously high quality. I may do a replacement, but haven't decided.

View attachment 117412

Handle is a butterscotch Klenzo that is 46mm in height. Knot is a TGN UK Super (Vulfix) that I picked up on BST recently. 21mm knot set at 45-46mm loft.

With Flash:
proxy.php

Without Flash:
proxy.php

Really like these Klenzo Handles and have another slightly different and lighter colored butterscotch one. They can also be had for relatively cheap. Pretty sure they are Catalin as the inside of the handles are ivory white (or is that Bakelite?)

Pretty sure they are Catalin as the inside of the handles are ivory white (or is that Bakelite?)

you are correct = catalin. the only colors bakelite came in where the opaque clors suchas the brownish color (the same color as those gillette bakelite cases), green, and black (?).

Last edited:
Won this beauty on the bay. Nice quality boar hair. I lathered up some MWF with it in my hand. It's marked Aristocrat and it was made in West Germany. Not sure if I want to reknot it or leave it the way it is. The hair quality is not bad, though it lost maybe 5 hairs when I test lathered with it.

The hair is still wet in the photos I took.

Cory that is a gorgeous brush. I think it might be a beautifully painted wooden handle. Nonetheless, stunning.

Thanks! You're probably right.

I think I should do the handle some justice and reknot it. The hair in it STINKS, even after lathering with some MWF and letting it sit for a couple of hours.

Here are my butterscotch babies:
proxy.php

Left to right:

1. Simpson AS3M, best badger. This brush has the softest knot I have every felt – softer than a kitten’s fur.
2. Fuller, restored by me with a TGN silvertip grade A knot
3. Simpson Keyhole 1, best badger
4. Bristle-tite, pure badger
5. Victoria amber butterscotch, restored by Nate with a silvertip grade A knot
6. And leaving the best for last, a Simpson nano Scot (should’ve turned the brush around, I know)

WOW David! That's quite a line-up there! I have the sister brush to #1, unfortunatley, the outer ring of badger hair 'seems' to have been singed lightly. It's probably the softest best badger I've EVER felt!

WOW David! That's quite a line-up there! I have the sister brush to #1, unfortunatley, the outer ring of badger hair 'seems' to have been singed lightly. It's probably the softest best badger I've EVER felt!

Thanks! What do you mean by the "sister" brush? Do you have a picture?

That AS3m is a beaut. Is that Keyhole the one I sold on BST (my memory is bad). If so, what did you think of the hair. I found it a bit prickly. I've since bought another vintage simpson best (a S10) and it's not prickly at all, but it's floppy instead. I'm thinking of reknotting it (since the handle is 24mm and will take a vulfix silvertip knot).

Top Bottom