What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

The YYX was one of my favorite cakes, but alas at its current price point I have little interest in it.

Today: 2002 Xiaguan jincha. Woody and delicious.

Depending on whose site your browsing this tea is either made from 100% Menghai maocha or a blend of Lincang and Menghai. I am leaning towards the blend, the Lincang characteristics are there, light and nutty, but also in the background is the beany and sweet Menghai flavors. Either way it's a good tea.
View attachment 108822

proxy.php

10 year old Yunnan Jing Mai Mountain wild puerh Gong Fu ceremony. One of my favourite raw puerh teas; very mild and earthy.

Regards.

Jakob

Drinking 2003 HK Henry Special-Ordered 7542 of Menghai that I procured from HouDe.

Not nearly as mature as the 2001 thick papered YYX but that's not really a fair comparison. Still bears some astringency and lacks the big aromatic woods. This is still a pretty nice tea. It just needs to continue aging. Very obviously a 7542 as it carries itself a bit less delicately than 7532 and 8582.

Drinking 2003 HK Henry Special-Ordered 7542 of Menghai that I procured from HouDe.

Not nearly as mature as the 2001 thick papered YYX but that's not really a fair comparison. Still bears some astringency and lacks the big aromatic woods. This is still a pretty nice tea. It just needs to continue aging. Very obviously a 7542 as it carries itself a bit less delicately than 7532 and 8582.

did you get some "pine" out of this one? Compared to the 2003 Menghai Bu Lang Jin Pin, the HK Henry seems to have a little more oomph for aging. Also, did you detect any wet-storage at all? I didn't think so but I've had some reputable tea heads tell me that this one has some slight wet-storage on it.

did you get some "pine" out of this one? Compared to the 2003 Menghai Bu Lang Jin Pin, the HK Henry seems to have a little more oomph for aging. Also, did you detect any wet-storage at all? I didn't think so but I've had some reputable tea heads tell me that this one has some slight wet-storage on it.

I did get something piney. I haven't had the Bu Lang Jin Pin. I'll have to try some. I'm not skilled at detecting subtle storage characteristics yet but I didn't notice anything dramatic. Might as well be stored in the Sahara compared to that thick-paper YYX :)

I'm not going to get too hopeful but for now I shall assume that this bodes well for my tong of 2009 7542.

SotD: 2003 Shuangxiong "Gold-Tips Tribute Tea". The brand means "Double Hero", and this was apparently the winner of a PRC pu'ercha competition in 2003. Whatever its credentials, it's seriously delicious tea: woody, energetic, complex, yet with tons of sharp power in the finish that indicate it should improve further through time. Thanks to Keng for this mighty fine cake.

I'm not sure regarding the competition mentioned but this is a decent tea, above average I'll say. I happen to have a sample piece leftover. Good find.

Inspired by archblech, I dug out my sample of the 2003 HK 7542. It was totally a lot yummier than the first couple of times I tried it. I think this tea needed to air out some. I got little sour, little bitter and tons of complexity and huigan. I've enjoyed this session way more than I enjoyed the more expensive samples like the dadugang 1999 or 1987 8582 I got from HouDe. Only that 2001 XZH mengsa sample delivered such pleasure among older tea.

Reminder:
It's just never worth it to buy 10gm samples. Always buy at least 20gms, and really more like 30gms. It takes a couple of tries to get something right.

Inspired by archblech, I dug out my sample of the 2003 HK 7542. It was totally a lot yummier than the first couple of times I tried it. I think this tea needed to air out some. I got little sour, little bitter and tons of complexity and huigan. I've enjoyed this session way more than I enjoyed the more expensive samples like the dadugang 1999 or 1987 8582 I got from HouDe. Only that 2001 XZH mengsa sample delivered such pleasure among older tea.

Reminder:
It's just never worth it to buy 10gm samples. Always buy at least 20gms, and really more like 30gms. It takes a couple of tries to get something right.

First impression right away, there must be something wrong with that 87' 8582! :huh:
Did the sample came in loose form or there are chucks evidently coming from a cake?

Came from a cake. It was $18 for 20gms and was cheaper than many 90s cakes. The full name was the 1987 Menghai Chung Guo Shan Jian 8582. It's sold out now. I got a chunk.

It wasn't all that assertive in taste, though it did have plenty of chaqi. It also only lasted about 8 brews of interesting, and I expected more from that. It wasn't so bad, I don't think, but the Shin Ya shu costs more than this does for very good reasons, even though it's a shu from about the same year.

I think all in all, it was mostly that 2003 HK actually did air out or aged in the bag since Jan. I think...7542 formula rules...so long as it's old.

Last edited:
Some more 2010 Nadacha "Bulang" punishment today. I don't like the price, but I like the tea. Some fruit, some tobacco, plenty of aggression.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

under the weather recently again :blink:

Im finding sheng really helps to loosen the muscles and relax.

07 Mengku Mu Ye Chun

An outstanding photo - really lovely.

My wife has recently discovered that if she breaks her ban on tea, and has a tiny cup or two in the morning with me, then it helps her morning sickness - I bet it's similarly healing for you, too :)

SotD: the 1995 CNNP so kindly given to us by Keng. This cake was so nice (and well-priced) that I had to buy a tong, which arrived this morning. Frighteningly good.

proxy.php

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My wife has recently discovered that if she breaks her ban on tea, and has a tiny cup or two in the morning with me, then it helps her morning sickness
Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Morning sickness? I had no idea.

Congrats, David. :thumbup1:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the kid will be a tea drinker. :tongue_sm

Top Bottom