What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I’ve had a gift certificate from the guy in AZ hanging around for a while, so I ordered a couple of things. One was this 1932-1941 New Short Comb.

Never been a fan of open combs, but, wow, this one is fantastic. Didn’t feel like an OC, just a very smooth, comfortable shave, BBS everywhere except around my Adam’s apple. 10/10 for me.

I am tempted to send it to BRG for gold plating to make it authentic, but, the nickel looks great. Maybe I’ll wait a bit, use it a few more times. Can any vintage aficionados tell me if this was available in nickel in the 30s?

1932-1941 New Short Comb + GSB
Zenith 507 and Cella Red
Dickinson’s Original + Osage Rub
Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum

Cheers!

IMG_5447.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Saturday. April 27th 2024

Razor : Razorock Game Changer.84 316 SSP with a RR Radio button handle. Mfg 2018>, tame mid range. Well made from 316 SSP with excellent machining and finish QC. I have been using the RR GC.84 razor for 6 years and I seem to like using a Kai SS extra wide blade for a little more blade feel. Had a close comfortable stellar shave this morning.
Blade : Kai SS (2) sharp and smooth with excellent longevity. Nice blade for folks who enjoy a little extra blade feel.
Soap : Razorock "The Dead Sea" croap, nice unique scented soap with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Razorock Plissoft 24mm knot. Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. 1st decent brush I owned 7 years ago, Razorock made a big contribution when they offered the Plissoft to thousands of brush buyers 8 or 9 years ago(game changer in synthetic brushes IMO).
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock The Dead Sea splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10 stellar.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable stellar shave this morning with my Razorock GC.84 with a Kai SS extra wide blade.
SOTD April 27 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I got this Stirling Executive Man soap a couple of years ago and the scent was way, way, way too strong for me (I'm guessing it was a fresh pour when I bought it). I am very pleased with how it has mellowed out now and I finally see why it is such a good seller for them. The Stirling brush is my only Fan knot and I'm still getting used to it. Really great value for money IMO.

Since I had such a great shave (surprise) with the Astra SS in my 37c yesterday, I tried the same blade (4) in the vintage Pomco slant and had another great shave. I may have to try some of my other "meh" blades in the slant (Tatra, Voskhod, Treet Carbon, Derby etc.)
1714234070969.png

April 27, 2024 Saturday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, aluminum
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (3)
Soap: Cella red
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Silvertip badger
Bowl: Captain's Choice Heavyweight copper
Post shave: Omega alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Old Spice Original

The headliner today was the first use of a "real" badger brush, a Yaqi 24mm Silvertip badger. It was a good first run, and it will likely evolve to the better as it breaks in.

This was a three pass shave; no weepers, etc. and no irritation. The Personna Lab Blue and Overlander combination is proving to be quite good.

10/10

Enjoy your day!

SOTD 04_27_24.jpg

I’ve had a gift certificate from the guy in AZ hanging around for a while, so I ordered a couple of things. One was this 1932-1941 New Short Comb.

Never been a fan of open combs, but, wow, this one is fantastic. Didn’t feel like an OC, just a very smooth, comfortable shave, BBS everywhere except around my Adam’s apple. 10/10 for me.

I am tempted to send it to BRG for gold plating to make it authentic, but, the nickel looks great. Maybe I’ll wait a bit, use it a few more times. Can any vintage aficionados tell me if this was available in nickel in the 30s?

1932-1941 New Short Comb + GSB
Zenith 507 and Cella Red
Dickinson’s Original + Osage Rub
Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum

Cheers!

View attachment 1836624
Looks just like mine. I had a short and long comb replated. After awhile I sold the long comb but really like my short comb.

Preshave: shower and soak with St Johns Vetiver Bar Soap, plus the bloom water from the Oxford & Cambridge smeared on my face before the shave.
Brush: Shavemac 24 mm / 54 mm bulb two band silvertip DO1 in Copper Canyon
Soap: Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge made by Valobra
Razor: First gen OC No 15 British Aristocrat
Blade Gillette Super Stainless The Spoiler F4 Unsure of the date 1985 maybe made in the USA (13)
Splash: Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
Frag: Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
DFS 9.7 more stubble ATG on my neck than face.

🪒🪒 SOTD April 27th 2024 🪒🪒

Semogue Saturdays!

Hello friends

Beautiful Saturday around here. After a week suffering from a cold sore, I started shaving again today. And honestly, I caught up…

The Might Pegasus Mistura is quickly becoming my favorite brush, despite it still being rough and absorbing a lot of soap. But his size and the quality of the knot, in addition to his great grip, make me predict that he and I have a great friendship ahead of us.

MdC Fougère and Brut, always sublime. Greencult 2.0 plate IV and Gillette Platinum Light Blue, the Russian (4), cut my 6-day beard easily. Three passes and a splendid BBS.

As good things can always become great, a magical duo accompanied us, Tony Bennett's voice and Bill Evans' hands transforming the keyboard into an entire orchestra.

Rating: 10

Have a nice weekend and great shaves!
❤️🪒

C48AAE19-82EB-4D8C-B6A7-71DD230D94AA.jpeg

IMG_6607.jpeg

Today's shave:
Razor:
Weishi 9306 Long Handle
Blade: Derby Extra shave #3
Brush: Razorock Monster 26mm plissoft
Soap: Van Der Hagen (VDH) Luxury
Result: Very Good 2+ pass 9.5/10 shave. Shave was BBS

Decided to use my puck of VDH Luxury soap for the first time in over a year. Again this is one of the 3.5 ounce pucks we typically find in local U.S. drug and grocery stores for around $4-5 each. Versus the cheaper VDH "Basics" 2.5 ounce Deluxe soap the main formulation enhancement, at the time I purchased my puck, is that the Luxury version has added glycerin. This makes a big difference giving this soap lots of additional slickness compared to the Deluxe version. Note that VDH has changed its formulations over the past few years so results with newer pucks may vary.

Began with my typical pre-shave of washing my face. Instead of just loading my brush from the VDH Luxury puck in its plastic container I placed the puck in my 4" diameter stainless steel shaving bowl. This enabled my typical hard soap technique of building proto-lather while loading for around 45 seconds. I then proceeded to face lather. The surfactants in the VDH soap quickly bloomed into a nice lather. Plenty of residual slickness thanks to the glycerin. Even though my puck is around four years old is still retains a good part of its scent though none of the scent is detectable in the lather.

The main difference between the VDH lather and that of my other hard shaving soaps is that, while very effective in enabling a good shave, the lather felt like it had less substance than my other tallow and vegan hard pucks. Not as creamy or luxurious a feel. That said this is a serviceable shaving soap that is easy to lather, readily available at local retailers and a very good value making it a reasonable option as a shaving soap for any who choose it.

After my initial face lathering I then proceeded with my typical 2+ pass shave with good results. One benefit of the soap is that while it provides plenty of slickness it does rinse off easily. Two really small weepers took the shave down a half point to the 9.5 out of 10. Happy to see that after four years this puck still works as well as it did when new.

Note that the cheaper Deluxe version ($2-$3 for a smaller 2.5 oz. puck) just doesn't have enough slickness for me. I only use it as an ingredient in my custom shaving soap blends as it is melt and pour making it an excellent binder for the blends that does provide superlathering benefits so long as other ingredients have plenty of slickness.

Today’s Shave

Pre: Shower
Brush: Omega Boar
Razor: OneBlade Genesis
Soap: PAA Cavendish
Toner: Thayer‘s - Unscented
Splash: PAA Cavendish Aftershave
Serum: Jack Black Protein Serum
Balm: Zingari Man Aftershave Balm - Unscented
EDT: None Today

3 Passes
No Knicks, Cuts, Irritation

Shave Rating: 9.5
Looks like you have a really nice Zen like shaving method given the range of items that you use. Do you apply the toner, splash, serum and balm after your shave or do you use any as part of your pre-shave? Looked up the OneBlade Genesis and it's a really nice looking razor.

P.S. My initial reaction to your post was to suggest you throw a blade in your razor next time, since none was listed, and see if you still get no knicks, cuts or irritation 🙂 🙂🙂! After looking up your razor, it looks like the only blade it uses is the Feather FHS-10, hence no need to list the blade separately. Is that correct?

View attachment 1836517
Pre-Shave
Face wash with Cera Ve Face Soap
Soap/Cream
Vintage Williams
Brush
Rudy Custom With Shavemac D01 Silvertip Knot
Bowl
Captains Choice Copper
Razor
RR Stealth, Prototype
Blade
Personna Medical Prep.
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Proraso ASB
Fragrance
Yves Saint Laurent
Rating
10/10
Comments
This is the third shave with my RR Stealth Slant, a prototype razor, together with a Personna Medical Prep blade. This was another excellent shave. Rudy Vey made today’s brush and it has a Shavemac D01 Silvertip knot. This brush did a nice job loading the bits of soap left in the puck. This was the 122nd shave with the Williams soap. There are not many more shaves left with this soap. An excellent. Have a wonderful day and weekend, folks.
Always love seeing a now rare Williams shave. How old was your vintage puck?

Saturday Morning Vintage Shearing

Rating: 9/10 Only A Nice DFS

Pretty much everything was Vintage. Overall not a bad shave.

Valet AutoStrop VC1 Razor
Vintage Valet Blade (3X)
Burma Shave Soap Puck
Ever-Ready 100T Vintage Boar Brush
Pinaud Citrus Musk Splash

MSC Vintage Lapidus Aftershave

View attachment 1836578
A very rare shave with Burma-Shave. First time I've seen a shave with this posted. Curious, have you used Williams Shaving Soap and if so how does the Burma-Shave puck compare?

Software: Old Spice Original shaving cream applied with SN badger brush, no pre shave, no shaving bowl, just applied with brush to lather.
Hardware: Leaf twig gold
Blade: Bic Astor (1)
Procedure: Once WTG and once XTG, with some cleanup strokes after. Three applications of lather total.
Aftershave: Old Spice Original.
Result: Not bad. No nicks. Comfortable shave. Would not pass playing card inspection drill. But good enough for a job interview or social event.
Main goal: Today's shave wasn't even needed, it's Saturday. This was purely an experiment with the new (to me) Astor BiC blades. Got a hundred of these on a deal, so I'm running them thru the shave den hardware to see where they stack up. So far, meh. Not impressive. We'll see how the other half of this blade rocks in my Parker SoloEdge.

9/10 Face and dome.

Put the OC Blackbird to the test today with 7 days growth on my dome and 24 hours on my face.
I definitely need more practice with the OC plate. But shaving every day doesn't require the OC.
Great face and neck shave first. The OC did nice work cleaning up around my mustache and nostrils.
The Blackbird OC with the Rapira PL mowed through my head of hair with ease! Three passes to get it all smooth and shiny.
The only drawback was a few brief weepers in regular weeper spots. A little disappointing but there's always a chance to shave again!
Witch hazel and Lustray Coachman for the finish.

4E592F8C-033F-4753-AFF1-4078EEFC4647.jpeg

Top Bottom