What's new

Vintage April, 2024

I found this fantastic thread while researching the Gillette Tech. In the past, I never clicked with the tech or the clones. Now, I could make the Pre-war Tech a daily driver.

April shaves are:
04/20/2024 Gillette US Pre-war Fat Handle Tech with Astra SP 1st use. DFS+; no issues

04/21/2024 Gillette US Pre-war Fat Handle Tech with Astra SP 2nd use. DFS+; no issues

04/22/2024

Razor: Gillette US Pre-war Fat Handle Tech (39)
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (3)
Pre-shave: Hot shower; Cereve Hydrating Facial Cleanser
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush 26mm
Soap: Van der Hagen Luxury Scented
Aftershave: Cool water rinse; Alum; Nivea Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm

No nicks; No irritation; Very Close; Very smooth; Pleasant DFS+ shave; On target.

Cheers!!!

Monday Vintage April 22

Gillette Rocket Flare Tip
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India) (7)
Shavemac Silvertip DO1
Palmolive Stick
Williams Aqua Velva

IMG-DSC_6073 (1).JPG
Back home today after a short trip abroad. Cheers :)

I was fortunate to place the high bid on this NOS Canadian Tech in the St Sue auction last year, and have only used the razor one time prior to today's shave.

When I received the razor from the generous donor, it was inside the box, with blades, all sealed in a plastic bag, with a packing slip printed with a 12-digit, hyphenated number (8503-21-102-7891)...a format that I am intimately familiar with after writing technical manuals for the Abrams Tank for 20+ years...the NSN (National Stock Number).

The NSN system is used by the US government to catalogue each and every item that it procures for its military service whether a nut, bolt, washer, t-shirt, or safety razor.

20240422_092150.jpg

Of course, I immediately went on-line to look it up. I no longer have access to the official US government site (WebFLIS), so I used a civilian version and turned up this:

20240422_094658.jpg

Today's Vintage April shave...in TM format (sort of):

Tools:
Brush, badger/boar, Ever-Ready
Razor, safety, Gillette Tech

Expendable Supplies:
Blade, razor, double-edge, Astra SP
Lotion, aftershave, alcohol-base, Old Spice
Soap, shaving, Old Spice

20240422_091133.jpg

I found this fantastic thread while researching the Gillette Tech.
Then you might appreciate this thread too Gene:

Welcome aboard!

Guido

20240421_090646.jpg

Razor: Gem Push-Button Gold
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Made-Rite 500PB, Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Spearhead Shaving Seaforth Black Watch
Aftershave: Seaforth! Black Watch Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm

Late post of Friday morning vintage April shave rated 9.75/10 using:
  • Razor: 1930 Swedish Swing (graciously PIF'd by brother @Guido75)
  • Blade: early 1960s Comet Super Stainless made by Okava Enterprises in its short-lived factory in Ireland (4)
  • Brush: Razorock 400 Silver Noir Plissoft
  • Pre-shave: Noxzema
  • Soap: Dutch Kox Bergamot
  • Post shave: Thayer’s unscented Witch Hazel followed by Old Spice splash and Stirling Christmas Eve balm
PXL_20240419_160341900.jpg
The Swing is a very smooth operator that requires careful attention because of its large blade gap. I didn't exercise sufficient care this morning and the Swing bit me on my upper lip. Nothing serious, just a little nick, and completely my fault. One-point demerit on "Irritation" for my bad technique causing the nick.

My shave scoring log is found HERE.

Happy shaves everyone :badger:

Late post of Friday morning vintage April shave rated 9.75/10 using:
  • Razor: 1930 Swedish Swing (graciously PIF'd by brother @Guido75)
  • Blade: early 1960s Comet Super Stainless made by Okava Enterprises in its short-lived factory in Ireland (4)
  • Brush: Razorock 400 Silver Noir Plissoft
  • Soap: Dutch Kox Bergamot
  • Post shave: Thayer’s unscented Witch Hazel followed by Old Spice splash and Stirling Christmas Eve balm
View attachment 1834010The Swing is a very smooth operator that requires careful attention because of its large blade gap. I didn't exercise sufficient care this morning and the Swing bit me on my upper lip. Nothing serious, just a little nick, and completely my fault. One-point demerit on "Irritation" for my bad technique causing the nick.

Swing. Check.
RR400. Check.
Dutchy. Check.

All elements for a great shave are present! Nice one Mitch!

Guido

First , i would like to make a general thumb-up 👍 to you all gentlemen, for the great pictures you are sharing here. Everyone of you does deserve it ! I didn't do it individually (except twice or three times) because i had to read 31 pages in a row, so... :c1:

Fascinating that we are so much apart as we are together. We seemed to have been using the Short Comb simultaneously across the world at least. Don’t you just love universal energy?!

I agree with Simon that the SC appears to be scarcer than the LC. It was also in a shorter production timeframe I think, so what did Gillette made to move to the LC and TTO models?

Absolutely Guido my friend!

Odd that I picked the SC before I saw your interesting post. I do not always believe in coincidence.
(...)

There's something interesting about the NEW short comb that i read in a thread on this forum last year :

--> this razor has 3 variations of its baseplate and one of them is set with a negative exposure.

I can't remember which thread it was but i do remember who said it : it was @ivan_101 , if i'm not mistaken. So i gave up my research for this razor because it could have been a waste of money for me if i had bought the negative exposure one... (i chose the RFB instead)

But maybe there is a way to recognize this negative one : a different serial number under the baseplate, for instance... 🤔

Late post of quick Sunday morning vintage April shave rated 9.5/10 using:
  • Razor: 1947-49 Post-war Gillette Gold Tech with custom, stainless handle CNC-machined by our beloved @Rosseforp and gold-plated by Back Roads Gold
  • Blade: early 1960s Comet Super Stainless made by Okava Enterprises in its short-lived factory in Ireland (5)
  • Brush: Semogue 820 Boar
  • Soap: Dutch Van der Lovett Grey (great everyday soap, thank you brother @Guido75)
PXL_20240421_095825058.jpg
I pulled another Post-war Tech and got another very smooth shave. I needed to shave quickly, and any Tech is excellent for such a situation. The blade is starting to lose its edge, but the shave was quite nice, just not perfect BBS everywhere.

The @Rosseforp custom handle looks amazing with a Gold Tech and performs like a charm.

First , i would like to make a general thumb-up 👍 to you all gentlemen, for the great pictures you are sharing here. Everyone of you does deserve it ! I didn't do it individually (except twice or three times) because i had to read 31 pages in a row, so... :c1:

There's something interesting about the NEW short comb that i read in a thread on this forum last year :

--> this razor has 3 variations of its baseplate and one of them is set with a negative exposure.

I can't remember which thread it was but i do remember who said it : it was @ivan_101 , if i'm not mistaken. So i gave up my research for this razor because it could have been a waste of money for me if i had bought the negative exposure one... (i chose the RFB instead)

But maybe there is a way to recognize this negative one : a different serial number under the baseplate, for instance... 🤔
Really? I had no idea. Hmm. I find my SC mildish, but I do believe it has some blade exposure. So I might unknowingly have been on the right side!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

Really? I had no idea. Hmm. I find my SC mildish, but I do believe it has some blade exposure. So I might unknowingly have been on the right side!
Now I have something else to worry about... Which SC did I order? And how will I tell one is which? I see on Mr. Razor there are different weights for several razors but no other explanations to distinguish one from the other. Pretty humorous, actually...

Buying modern razors has been much easier for me. <eg>

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Now I have something else to worry about... Which SC did I order? And how will I tell one is which? I see on Mr. Razor there are different weights for several razors but no other explanations to distinguish one from the other. Pretty humorous, actually...

Buying modern razors has been much easier for me. <eg>
I wouldn't worry about it, Kim. If you like the way it shaves, it's a good razor. ;) 👍

Is that one of those MdC soap samples that is impregnated into a sheet of paper? If so, I'm curious how well it worked.

Regardless, great soap, great scent.

It wasn't the paper sample, they seem very interesting! I bought a sample from the UK retailer Shave Dash, before they closed their doors. It was a 10g or so sample, and I took out a little chunk and spread it into a bowl and built a lather there.

Fantastic scent, I don't think I built the best possible lather but it worked well on the shave nonetheless.

Top Bottom