What's new

Fingernail Maintenance

This may seem like a very basic question--and it is--but how do you gentlemen maintain clean fingernails? Any nail brush that works especially well for you? A good tool you like for remove dirt and grime? To put this in context, I keep my nails short, about the width of a dime, but grub around in the garden and muck about maintaining my bicycle which always leaves a load of dirt and gunk under my nails.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I keep my nails so short that nothing gets under them. On the very rare occasions when they were slightly longer, I used an old tooth brush.
I don't throw away my used tooth brushes, they go in a small drawer in the shop for various uses. They come in quite handy quite often.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I keep my nails so short that nothing gets under them. On the very rare occasions when they were slightly longer, I used an old tooth brush.
I don't throw away my used tooth brushes, they go in a small drawer in the shop for various uses. They come in quite handy quite often.
I do the same... they clean razors and have a myriad of other uses as well.

I rarely have to use them, but I have a small stash of made in USA Fuller brushes for cleaning your fingernails.

The coolest vintage ones are butterscotch Bakelite, but I just have the small wood handled ones.

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've got a fingernail brush around here someplace, but I haven't used it in many years. I find the best way to keep them clean is to do virtually no work that would introduce grime there. It's a kind of philanthropic mission in my retirement years to keep the families of the people doing the work fed. It's working great so far.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I just use my pocket knife to dig any grub out from under the nails. My nails grow exceptionally fast, at least that’s what my wife says. They can grow to the width of a dime in about 3 days. I have to clip them at least once a week to keep them short. If I forget to clip them, my knife is usually the handiest thing around so that’s what get used. It also seems that I never notice any grub under my nails until I’m away from home and my grooming tools. My hair grows really fast too, a #1 clipper will grow out to my ears in about 6 days. Basically no hair to 1/2 inch in about week.

Top Bottom