What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Muhle R41
Feather (3)
Kent BK4 Silvertip
Tabac (tallow)
Tabac

10/10

Attachments

• IMG_1909 2.jpg
    IMG_1909 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Preshave: Hot shower
Soap/Shave cream: Stirling Soap Bergamot Lavender
Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic Marble Handle
Razor: Razorock Game Changer 68-P
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Post shave: Gillette Gel
Rating: 9.5/10

How many times can you repeat: "This is such a great razor/blade combination"?
Well, as many times as you need to, meaning every time you use said combination. It came through again with a great shave, nice and smooth with no irritation.
I ordered more Astras this week, figuring I'd probably be getting the new ones made in India but instead got some of the St. Petersburg version, which is fine with me. For an inexpensive blade, this old standard sure does a great job.

proxy.php

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Friday, April 12th 2024

Razor : Yaqi Romulus 316 SSP with a Yaqi Chippendale handle. Mfg 2022>, mild to mid range depending on blade or shim used. Excellent machining and finish QC with small head parts(I like to assemble on a wash cloth). Very nimble to work the beard and when dialed in it is hard to beat this razor for performance IMO. Had a close comfortable stellar shave this morning.
Blade : Kai Captain titian mild(5) sharp and smoooth with great longevity. One of my favorite AC (50mm blades).
Soap : Razorock M.F, nice scented soap with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Mysterious space" 24mm 3band silvertip badger. Excellent lather generator, luxury pillow like soft tips, luxury splay feel scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock M.F. with witch hazel (nice cologne scent that lasts, not a overly strong but unique) + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10 stellar.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable stellar shave this morning with my Yaqi Romulus 316 SSP razor with a Kai mild 50mm blade.
SOTD April 12 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Baker Street Liquid Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Karve Bison
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann Seville
Bowl: The CaYuen Workshop Medium Damascus Shaving Dish
Brush: Maggard's Dark Blue Handle AP Shave Co 24mm Titanium Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Unscented Post Shave Balm & Seaforth Black Watch AS
Rating: 10/10 A comfortable efficient 3 pass BBS shave with no touch ups, weepers, cuts or irritation. No weepers appeared, like yesterday, but hit problem areas with an Alum Stick for prevention. An excellent shave!

Friday, April 12, 2024

Hardware
RazorKarve Overlander (AL)
BladeTreet 7 Days Platinum [6]
BrushSemogue SOC Boar (Cherry)

Software
PreThayer's Lavender
Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap
LatherColonel Conk Bay Rum [1]
PostLustray Blue Spice

Rating
8 / 10

Notes
Several firsts this morning: First try with the Karve Overlander (from BST, with thanks to kaufdrop27); first use of the Colonel Conk shave soap; and first splash with the Lustray Blue Spice. In order, then:
  • GOATlander indeed. Close, comfortable and very, very easy. On my sixth shave using the first edge of this 7 Days Platinum, and not even a hint of tug or "old blade" feel.
  • The Colonel will need more work. I expected it to perform similar to Mama Bear, which I used on the first part of the week, but the lather was even airier. It will take a few more turns to figure out what this soap likes. (And yet, despite the poor lather, the Overlander rose fully to the occasion.)
  • Lustray Blue Spice is very nice. As I posted over in the Clubman Friday thread: Is this the mystery blue juice that the barber (always a retired marine) used to spray on the back of my neck after end of cut cleanup in those cheap North Texas barbershops years ago? I don't know, but it sure seems like it. At $8 / 14 oz, I guess it'll be with me for a while. Looks like you can also buy a full gallon for under $30 from some barber supply sites . . . . I'm at least considering it.
Happy Friday, y'all.

Fri 12
Soap & Aftershave A&E The Club Snake Venom Lagered Ale
Brush Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Razor Wade & Butcher 7/8 Steamship Wedge
Beautiful lather and smell delicious!
I missed 3 weeks of using a straight and today's shave with this solid razor with a buttery soft edge was fantastic! Rating 10!
20240412_230222.jpg

full

Razor: Gillette Slim 1962
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 LE Sovereign
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Soap: Stirling Iced Pineapple 🍍❄️

Pre shave: Kyle's Routine, La Toja 🇪🇸
Aftershave: Stirling Glacial Iced Pineapple 🍍❄️

2 pass shave, WTG, XTG
The shave was near perfect except for a minor goof.
Things were going so incredibly smooth and easy and I got careless and picked up speed. A little high speed reckless cornering got me a small slice on the chin.
3 shave in a row with GSB blades and each has been great!

Other than that what a perfectly delightful shave.
Rating: 9/10 BBS

20240411_123535.jpg

Razor: PAL Adjustable
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Forest City Fern
Aftershave: Seaforth! Heather Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm
Ten.

setup.jpg

Date 🗓️
 2024-04-12

Hardware 🪒
 Razor — Mühle Rocca R96
 Blade — The Gentleman (1)
 Brush — Yaqi Black Marble 24mm Plissoft
 Bowl — Pearl Plastic shaving bowl

Software 🧴
 Soap — Trigodon Wild Seas
 Aftershave — Anherb Sandalwood

Process 💈
 Hair — 4 day stubble
 Prep — Warm shower
 Lather — Bowl lathering
 Passes — 2 (WTG, XTG + buffing)
 Post — Rinse with cold water from fridge, aftershave

Verdict ⚖️
 Result — DFS-
 Rating — 7.9/10

Notes 📝
Another exciting day because I get to shave with the Rocca! And yet another excellent shave. I got a very comfortable, close shave. I ended up with one small nick on the right side of the neck as I was pushing myself a bit too hard on the final buffing phase (greedy me!). I feel the Gentleman blade while smooth is not as sharp as the Gillette Wilkinson Sword (Indian). Though the shave was quite good, it wasn't at the same level as the two prior ones with the GWS. While I have had great shaves with the Gentleman, I would rate it one notch below the GWS. Nonetheless, effortless glassy cheeks and DFS on the neck. Some minor irritation near chin after the shave but went away really soon.

We have 3 seasons in this part of India: hot, hotter, hottest and we're entering the "hotter" phase now with the heat cranking up 🔥

So for the after the shave, I started with the greatest after shave of all time. Rinsed with ice cold, pure water from the fridge! 🧊 Following this, I used a bit of Captain Nemo Absolute Zero on the neck followed up by the Anherb AS. The Anherb aftershave is a pleasure to use with mild smell of sandalwood to match its mild cooling effect.

Have a nice shave!

Peace x3 🙏

Friday Morning Shave-

IMG_0111.jpeg

Pre-Shave: Hot Towel, Proraso White

Boar: Omega Jade
Blade: BiC Chrome Platinum

Razor: GC Jaws 68
Soap: DG Original
After-Shave: Cold Water Splash, GFT Alum, NO Logbook

Rating: 9/10

Notes: Incredibly efficient shave. Still breaking in the omega jade but I like it!

Top Bottom