What's new

The BRGAS (Back Roads Gold Appreciation Society)

The Aristocrat Junior #48 I ordered from BRG on Etsy arrived today, and of course it's the same great quality as the ones I sent to him to be restored.
Looking forward to tomorrow's shave!
il_794xN.5284797601_gnlq.jpg

il_794xN.5284797857_n0tb.jpg

il_794xN.5284798103_1naf.jpg

il_794xN.5236609514_dti6.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Are the end caps the only differences between the two razors?

~doug~

They both have no end caps. Difference is only the finish.

Sheraton is Gold - https://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece open comb/1937 Sheraton.JPG
Senator is Nickel - https://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece open comb/1938 Senator.JPG

Otherwise identical

FIFY

I see holes in the endcaps on the Sheraton, and not on the Senator.

~doug~

Sorry I missed these messages. I never really thought about the end caps on the Senator versus the Sheraton. I just wanted mine to be Gold! 😎. But now I know! Thanks for the knowledge fellas!

I wanted a 1958 Fatboy done in gold, and eventually found a great deal on a D-4 worth getting replated. It wasn't pretty but it is now. Chris did a fantastic job as always! Also pictured with my G-2 in white platinum done by BRG in the past. Chris always does amazing work and has exceptional service!

Attachments

• D-4.jpg
    D-4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
  • D-4G-2.jpg
    D-4G-2.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Sent a package off to BRG this morning. Fat Boy, two Slims, two Aristocrats, and three Super Speeds. Will end up with 24K Gold and Nickel versions of Fat Boy, Slim, Aristocrat, and Super Speed. Then 2-3 Gold Super Speeds for gifts in the coming months.
Sounds like a great fall season!

I don't have the time and patience to photograph these like they deserve.
The gold Fat Boy was done by BRG this past Summer, I purchased it as-is from someone else Ebay, so I could see what I was getting into.
The nickel Slim was a gift from @CDinVT and was in excellent condition as it was, but I had it replated in nickel for its longevity.
One of the Super Speeds has grooved engraving on the doors. I'll try and post better pictures of that. It looks nice.
It's weird, but I think the most dramatic difference is in the gold Super Speeds Flare Tips, they look amazing!
There's a $40 Fat Boy on its way to me. That and another Super Speed may be going off for replating in 24K Gold as well.
If I had to do it again, I'd likely have them all done in 24K gold. Because there is a warmness with the gold that I don't notice with the nickel.
I'm seriously enjoying shaving with the antique Gillettes. Something I didn't see me doing or getting into when I began this hobby. They shave wonderfully!

FD739641-6F7A-4FCD-9DEA-A883953A906C_1_201_a.jpeg

AEE50853-C7DF-42DB-B123-8C5DE568CD33_1_201_a.jpeg

38579AE4-0F00-43DC-8A75-09D377596E9F_1_201_a.jpeg

0F28EFC3-B724-4EC0-BE2A-E1F5A44AB64D_1_201_a.jpeg

I don't have the time and patience to photograph these like they deserve.
The gold Fat Boy was done by BRG this past Summer, I purchased it as-is from someone else Ebay, so I could see what I was getting into.
The nickel Slim was a gift from @CDinVT and was in excellent condition as it was, but I had it replated in nickel for its longevity.
One of the Super Speeds has grooved engraving on the doors. I'll try and post better pictures of that. It looks nice.
It's weird, but I think the most dramatic difference is in the gold Super Speeds Flare Tips, they look amazing!
There's a $40 Fat Boy on its way to me. That and another Super Speed may be going off for replating in 24K Gold as well.
If I had to do it again, I'd likely have them all done in 24K gold. Because there is a warmness with the gold that I don't notice with the nickel.
I'm seriously enjoying shaving with the antique Gillettes. Something I didn't see me doing or getting into when I began this hobby. They shave wonderfully!

View attachment 1749333

View attachment 1749334

View attachment 1749335

View attachment 1749337

Those are some gorgeous razors!! Simply stunning, Enjoy!!

I am looking at purchasing a 1959 Gillette Fatboy E4 refurbished by Black Roads Gold. They are asking $160.00. Is that a good price?? is it worth it?? This will be my first vintage razor. I mainly use Blackland razors. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
A Fatboy is like a gateway drug into the world of vintage razors. Chris's prices are very fair and his work is impeccable. If you want a Fatboy, he's a great person from whom to buy one.

As for whether a Fatboy is worth buying at all, I'm quite biased. I own about 200 vintage razors and have half a dozen or so Fatboys. I think they deliver a fantastic shave. I think you'll love it.

Full disclosure, I've also got about 20 razors in my collection that Chris has refurbished. I've posted about most of them in this thread.

I am looking at purchasing a 1959 Gillette Fatboy E4 refurbished by Black Roads Gold. They are asking $160.00. Is that a good price?? is it worth it?? This will be my first vintage razor. I mainly use Blackland razors. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

I believe BRG charges about $60 for replating. So that brings your price to $120 for the Fatboy. The question is can one be found in awesome condition for that price. I don't know the answer to that. But I do know what you get from Chris will be tuned, fully functional, and a thing of beauty. To think that these sold for $1.95 back in the early '60s, and were just a razor. Man, they are awesome tools the likes of which we don't see today. My advice, since it isn't my money ( :001_cool: ) buy with confidence from BRG!

Last edited:
A Fatboy is like a gateway drug into the world of vintage razors.
I agree 100% on the gateway drug comment! 😆 Fatboys are great razors. Started my vintage RAD with one and been going strong since. BRG/Chris's work can't be beat imo. I've had some replated and bought some already done from him. I just had a D3 Executive Fatboy done I hadn't got around to post here, it's exceptional work. I had to find it myself and get it replated but it's a Christmas gift from a family member so I can't use it yet. They better wrap it up if they expect me to wait! haha

Attachments

• 20231121_153743.jpg
    20231121_153743.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231121_153811.jpg
    20231121_153811.jpg
    629.5 KB · Views: 17
Top Bottom