What's new

Still Getting Bumps on Neck

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
On the Personna blade question.... there are quite a varieties and they are not created equal. I ordered what I thought was the Personna of choice loved by many people here. It tore up my face something fierce. Now, this could just be me, of course... but when I told the tale, several seasoned shavers here said... Oh... you want the Personna Comfort Coated blades manufactured in the USA... so Personna USA Comfort Coated blades... Wow, what a difference.. smooth, sharp, and comfortable.

I had and (still have this problem). Few things helped and to be clear, whilst blade choice may assist in fixing it as long as it is cutting and not feeling very draggy/pully/tuggy...it shouldn't make a huge difference.
1. Stop shaving. This will allow the bump to properly heal and anything trapped beneath the skin to make its way to the surface of the skin naturally. I'd say take a full week off if you can at the very least and move up to a month if possible. Once the issue goes away, if you take care of your skin and shave with a single blade...its unlikely to come back.
2. Face wash. Washing the face regularly with a non-exfoliating face wash helped a lot. I use a chemical exfoliant (i.e. a facewash with charcoal or salicylic acid twice a week. This keeps the skin clean and healthy and stopped a lot of bumps from forming.
3. Cold water shaving. Simple as it sounds, give it a try. It did make a difference for me
4. Only shaving WTG for a little while. if you shave WTG and get bumps...then perhaps its a medical issue or your hair is simply too curly/thick/stubborn for DE shaving. At that point, I would recommend an electric razor like the norelco one blade. Its not a close shave but it will most likely solve the problem.

On the Personna blade question.... there are quite a varieties and they are not created equal. I ordered what I thought was the Personna of choice loved by many people here. It tore up my face something fierce. Now, this could just be me, of course... but when I told the tale, several seasoned shavers here said... Oh... you want the Personna Comfort Coated blades manufactured in the USA... so Personna USA Comfort Coated blades... Wow, what a difference.. smooth, sharp, and comfortable.

Yes this is true. It's been a year or so since I bought the Personna blades and there was a specific thread here that described how to identify the USA made Personnas. I bought a 100 pack and got lucky that they worked well for me.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Yes this is true. It's been a year or so since I bought the Personna blades and there was a specific thread here that described how to identify the USA made Personnas. I bought a 100 pack and got lucky that they worked well for me.
That said... I did have one dud Personna CC blade. I could tell on that first down stroke. I changed it immediately rather than suffer through a shave where the razor was struggling on the easiest stroke in a whole shave.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I really appreciate it. I waited a few days to shave and allow the neck to settle a little. With that said, some adjustments made to the lather were very important. I got a much better, thicker lather and this greatly improved the slickness for the blade. I also shaved with the grain, instead of against it. I still have the bumps and will continue to apply the salicidic acid and let you know how that goes. Likely going to wait a while for the next shave to allow the neck to heal.

I had and (still have this problem). Few things helped and to be clear, whilst blade choice may assist in fixing it as long as it is cutting and not feeling very draggy/pully/tuggy...it shouldn't make a huge difference.
1. Stop shaving. This will allow the bump to properly heal and anything trapped beneath the skin to make its way to the surface of the skin naturally. I'd say take a full week off if you can at the very least and move up to a month if possible. Once the issue goes away, if you take care of your skin and shave with a single blade...its unlikely to come back.
2. Face wash. Washing the face regularly with a non-exfoliating face wash helped a lot. I use a chemical exfoliant (i.e. a facewash with charcoal or salicylic acid twice a week. This keeps the skin clean and healthy and stopped a lot of bumps from forming.
3. Cold water shaving. Simple as it sounds, give it a try. It did make a difference for me
4. Only shaving WTG for a little while. if you shave WTG and get bumps...then perhaps its a medical issue or your hair is simply too curly/thick/stubborn for DE shaving. At that point, I would recommend an electric razor like the norelco one blade. Its not a close shave but it will most likely solve the problem.
Thanks for this. What blade do you use? I was going to try to use some Astra SP as I'm about out of the Personna Super.

Thanks for this. What blade do you use? I was going to try to use some Astra SP as I'm about out of the Personna Super.
Astra green's are a very smooth blade for me. Whether they are for you is up to you. Really its just important for me to not use the blades that don't work. Feather, Gilette Silver Blue, Personna Med prep, Rapira etc. Otherwise, they're usually fine for me. Try using a sample pack. It costs more per blade but will let you try lots of different kinds. I think at this point I've used over 50 different varieties so it makes it easy to pin down what does and doesn't work.

Thanks again for suggestions. Getting better results! I tried waiting a week to shave and still have minor bumps. I guess those will just take time to heal. Has anyone tried neosporin or Vaseline on the neck?

Thanks again for suggestions. Getting better results! I tried waiting a week to shave and still have minor bumps. I guess those will just take time to heal. Has anyone tried neosporin or Vaseline on the neck?
Use pure aloe gel not lotion with aloa but pure aloe gel.

Along with other serums and retinol, I use a mandelic acid exfoliater every other day. This particular acid can be left on. It does wonders.

Just a thought...if I go 7 days without shaving I get small bumps in certain areas (mostly my neck, but also my cheeks a little bit) where the whiskers start to curl around and dig into my skin again. Those bumps tend to go away anywhere from 12-24 hours after shaving. Could this be the cause of your most recent irritation or do you think it's from previous problems that are still plaguing you?

Just a thought...if I go 7 days without shaving I get small bumps in certain areas (mostly my neck, but also my cheeks a little bit) where the whiskers start to curl around and dig into my skin again. Those bumps tend to go away anywhere from 12-24 hours after shaving. Could this be the cause of your most recent irritation or do you think it's from previous problems that are still plaguing you?
I noticed this as well. I thought it might be bc the blade was used too many times. What do you think?

I also have a sensitive neck. If I'm using my Feather AS-D2 (mild) I use a Feather or Kai blade, zero irritation. If I'm using my Timeless .95,(mid) Personna Israeli Red blade works great. Try to match razor aggression with the correct blade sharpness.

I noticed this as well. I thought it might be bc the blade was used too many times. What do you think?

I notice the bumps before I even shave if I go that long, so in my case I know it isn't the razor or blade that causes them. If the bumps don't appear until several hours after shaving then they definitely weren't caused by whiskers curling around and digging back into your skin.

If bumps are there the second you remove the whiskers, they couldn't be caused by the blade or razor and are likely from your whiskers.

Hope that helps.

I also have a sensitive neck. If I'm using my Feather AS-D2 (mild) I use a Feather or Kai blade, zero irritation. If I'm using my Timeless .95,(mid) Personna Israeli Red blade works great. Try to match razor aggression with the correct blade sharpness.
What do you suggest for Merkur 34c? I was going to get Derby, Astra or Shark. I can't decide, ha! I've read Feather's are for more experienced shavers.

Like I suggested, mild razor, sharp blade, aggressive razor, med. sharp blade. Don't listen to that BS, mild razor sharp blade

Can you link me to the blades you use? There are a lot of blades that use the similar name. Thanks for your help!
I purchased 300 Feather & 200 Kai blades a couple years ago. Don't remember the site. Go to one of the big online shaving supply sites and buy a five pack or 10 (Feather) of each & try them out.

Top Bottom