What's new

Need to Replace the Gshock; Another Gshock or Tough Smartwatch?

So my beloved Gshock has now developed a permanent case of condensation.

20200910_173347.jpg

It has served me very, very well and hasn't left my wrist since the moment I put it on. Now, I'm a real believer in these watches, but I've nearly considered the idea of a... Tough smart watch for Android? Does there exist such a thing at a decent price point, preferably under $200?

I know nothing about them, so please educate me. I'll remind you that I originally chose Gshock for a very good reason; an in the trenches (sometimes literally) work horse of a watch. And that it is, which is why I won't hesitate to replace it, but are there any truly tough smart watches out there worth looking at?

This watch will be putting up with everything from intense workouts to intense workloads at work ranging from underwater work to welding, plumbing or carpentry and ridiculous amounts of sweat, dings, side swipes, and just general hazardous sh...

Honestly, is it worth going the smart watch route or should I just stick with the Gshock?

Love this one, by the way, a logical next step...

Screenshot_20200910-172909_Chrome.jpg

My vote would be to get another G-shock. I'm not a fan, but it's not my watch. But if you really want to check out the "tough smart watch" category your best option in the sub-$200 range is the Garmin Instinct. I have one to track progress when kayaking, hiking, and biking (it has a GPS locator). You can program a bunch of different things on it (most you won't use) but it does connect to your phone and alert you to incoming calls and texts. It's not a touch screen, so some functionality is limited. It is incredibly lightweight. Garmin designed it to be a watch for all outdoor adventures, so it would probably be tough enough for what you do.

I think another G-shock will suit you better. There are some with step trackers, heart rate monitors, or other basic workout support functions. So many g-shocks rounds and squares to choose from. Battery life (even if not solar) and toughness will be much better than a smartwatch.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have had the Apple Watch since launch day in 2015. It’s the only watch I have worn since then. I’ve had 2 different versions. For me it’s the perfect watch. I wear it daily with all my tasks I do. I would not typically recommend any other watch but....

This watch will be putting up with everything from intense workouts to intense workloads at work ranging from underwater work to welding, plumbing or carpentry and ridiculous amounts of sweat, dings, side swipes, and just general hazardous sh..

I don’t believe any smart watch would stand up to this. Nearly all smart watches are a full face of glass. It will get cracked with such abuse as it will be subjected too. My current Apple Watch has a nice crack along the top and side of the screen. All I did was stick my hand in to the houses water shut off box In the yard. It just brushed against the concrete and boom...crack. Still functions just fine, but cracked nonetheless. Now...if I had a G-Shock I’m sure it would have been absolutely fine.

If you plan on putting your watch through that much abuse....get another G-Shock. If you really want a different watch research anything else similar to the G-shock, but steer clear of any smart watches.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Have you thought about having a Watchmaker have a look at it. I am sure that they have a drying cycle type set up on their watch cleaning machines. Depending on the cost they might be able to take the movement out and dry it for you.

Sounds like the perfect excuse for an upgrade. Smart watches have come on so much now. The Garmin Fenix range is worth a look if the budget allows. Great sports/smart watch.

I am a g-shock fanatic, so I say stick with the G. That being said, they do have a few g-shocks with Bluetooth connectivity. They might offer call and text notifications, but not sure.

I think you guys are right, best thing is just to replace with another gshock. Didn't know they had ones with step counters? I'd be way too hard on the watch to have to worry about a glass case. This will be a work and workout watch, a 'forget about it' watch that I can accidentally smash against something and still not worry about it lol I don't want to have a minor heart attack every time it bangs up against something.

I am a g-shock fanatic, so I say stick with the G. That being said, they do have a few g-shocks with Bluetooth connectivity. They might offer call and text notifications, but not sure.

You seem more knowledgeable than I, any specific 'range' of them I should be looking at?

I think you guys are right, best thing is just to replace with another gshock. Didn't know they had ones with step counters? I'd be way too hard on the watch to have to worry about a glass case. This will be a work and workout watch, a 'forget about it' watch that I can accidentally smash against something and still not worry about it lol I don't want to have a minor heart attack every time it bangs up against something.
The recently released GBX-100 has a step counter, and some functions to help with interval training, though many people have complained it is difficult to get the steps and distance calibrated (some believe the software is not ready, others say your height/stride info needs to be configured correctly). The GBD-H1000 adds a heart rate sensor. There are other bluetooth enabled g-shocks that also track steps, distance, provide notifications from your smartphone over bluetooth. However none of them really compete with a smartwatch...I think they barely compete with fitness trackers. The notification integration on the GBX-100 is difficult to use and I have not enabled it on the one I recently purchased. Some of the "master of g" watches might have these capabilities but I have never looked into it since these watches (mudman, rangeman, etc) are so large that I would likely never wear one.

I am not a g shock fan but my travel buddy is.
For me they are difficult to read and overly complex with functionality.
however you are used to it and they take abuse very well. As a work watch I would advise a gshock and nothing else either so get one!

oh and I used a couple of polar Sport watches working with a jack hammer, hammer, multitool, Sanders etc and not even daily. I wrecked them all either cosmetically, band, usually butons. I even had one replaced by polar (should be shock proof).

Would not dare to use my Apple Watch like that even with a bumper etc....

bottom line either get a cheap gshock clone or the real deal.

would not repair old one could be glue, crack even gasket around a button.

You seem more knowledgeable than I, any specific 'range' of them I should be looking at?
I think StillShaving answered this far better than I could have. My favorites are the GWM-500 (atomic/solar) because they’re totally maintenance free for at least 10 years, then you just have the battery replaced and get another 10 years out of it.

I've read the Amazfit T rex is a good tough smart watch. Not used one myself but do use the older Pace and Stratos watches. Both are well put together for the price and easy to use. I get around 5 to 7 days use from both between charges.

images.jpeg

I think they retail at about £135 to £150 here in the UK.

I have a Suunto Spartan Trainer that I use for specific activities, but I would never rely on a watch that has limited life before it needs a recharge. I vote G-Shock solar.

Someone on another forum recommended Suunto, as well. I'm still looking at those, they're a nice alternative. I still think I'm 90‰ towards another Gshock, though. A friend said, "five years of deployment and I've been through three, I'm done with them". Honestly if one lasts a year and a half to two years considering what I put them through, I consider it worth it!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Honestly if one lasts a year and a half to two years considering what I put them through, I consider it worth it
Given what you put your watch through, why not get one of each and swap them out each week or month. Then whichever you like better let that be the ultimate replacement for these two.

If you don't really need/want the smartwatch or fitness functions you could consider one of their inexpensive models. The Casio F-91 is a classic but you will probably find it wears too small. The Casio W800H is a bit larger and a better all round watch with a claimed 10 year battery life. Cheap enough that you would not care if it died. I have owned both Casios and given them away to people who were interested in them. Even though I have better watches that I like to wear I may purchase another W800H to have a basic digital watch.

Given what you put your watch through, why not get one of each and swap them out each week or month. Then whichever you like better let that be the ultimate replacement for these two.

I was anticipating the 'just get both' comment, and Doc4 never disappoints! He's been here a long time, this is Badger and Blade, he knows the deal!

I have been wanting an Apple Watch, but like you, I am tough on watches. I used to get Timex Ironman, but the buttons would break occasionally. Loved the indiglo though. Gshocks are pretty tough and I wear them often.

My brother has an Apple Watch and it cracked very slightly. It didn’t affect the use of the watch. It was ruined when he went swimming with it. Before it was cracked, he had no issues with swimming with it on. I would love to have one though. I just don’t want to spend the money on it if I’m just gonna break it... Judging by how beat up the watches I own now are I don’t see a smart watch lasting long. My favorite part of the Apple Watch is how you can control your Apple music account with Bluetooth speakers. So I have a dilemma similar to you.

Someone on another forum recommended Suunto, as well. I'm still looking at those, they're a nice alternative. I still think I'm 90‰ towards another Gshock, though. A friend said, "five years of deployment and I've been through three, I'm done with them". Honestly if one lasts a year and a half to two years considering what I put them through, I consider it worth it!
If recharging it is not an issue, Suunto is just fine. Garmin makes a chunkier G-shocky watch as well. Still, I only use the Suunto for the GPS, heart rate and hike/bike data during an activity. I don't use notifications or anything like that. My ancient DW-9000 would be my choice.

Top Bottom