What's new

A rehash of one of my rarest finds: A pre-release Executive Fatboy.

I posted this a couple years ago but was going through my collection and thought perhaps newer members might like to have a look. No logo, patent or trademark stamps. Only a tiny hand engraved number 228 that I almost missed. I believe it was part of Gillette's in-house review of proposed new products. Perhaps Gillette signed them out to marketing employees to examine and test prior to the initial public product offering. Employees were probably required to turn them back in to be destroyed but someone kept this one.

100_6931.JPG
100_6946.JPG

100_6948.JPG

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I posted this a couple years ago but was going through my collection and thought perhaps newer members might like to have a look. No logo, patent or trademark stamps. Only a tiny hand engraved number 228 that I almost missed. I believe it was part of Gillette's in-house review of proposed new products. Perhaps Gillette signed them out to marketing employees to examine and test prior to the initial public product offering. Employees were probably required to turn them back in to be destroyed but someone kept this one.
Now that makes sense, they would of tested those razors to make sure every thing was good to the customer. I notice that even today big or small Mfg's of razors still test new products to make sure they did not over look a issue.
Gillette testing new models.jpg

I think they still are testing products even today with out robots.
Have some great shaves!

That is awesome. Very unique. It most be near impossible to get one of those. I bet it works flawlessly.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I posted this elsewhere and someone pointed me here. I thought i would add.
I bought this Executive for $5 because apparently someone took a vice or pliers to it. The adjustment is seized up but while cleaning the grime off and taking it apart i noticed the blank bottom plate and then the scribed number.
35747DEC-3919-4A8B-B35B-6ECD2F35AC04.jpeg
F6A5FC15-AD91-4499-A94D-A7516E70E5CA.jpeg
7E80BB54-2350-498B-B3EE-F71EC4F51600.jpeg

That is cool! So there are at least 2 that were not turned back in after prototype reviews. Numbers were engraved in the same spot. Maybe more exist but I'm sure they were to be collected and destroyed, not to be released. Thankfully no one mangled this one.
100_6918.JPG

100_6919.JPG
100_6923b.jpg

I've been curious about how many were made so I reached out to Gillette some time ago. They wouldn't answer any questions on prototyping since they consider it proprietary information.

Reassemble yours and post a pic please. There are probably more of these out there somewhere. Now every Exec I see I'll be checking the baseplate. :)

Last edited:
I've been curious about how many were made so I reached out to Gillette some time ago. They wouldn't answer any questions on prototyping since they consider it proprietary information.

Reassemble yours and post a pic please. There are probably more of these out there somewhere. Now every Exec I see I'll be checking the baseplate. :)
I plan on sending out to get repaired and replated. Most of the gold is intact but the tto knob is down to brass and nickel plating. The adjuster is stuck.

I plan on sending out to get repaired and replated. Most of the gold is intact but the tto knob is down to brass and nickel plating. The adjuster is stuck.

I would consider not replating the unstamped baseplate and tray which houses the engraving. They’re in great shape, and the engraving I consider important on this piece.

I would consider not replating the unstamped baseplate and tray which houses the engraving. They’re in great shape, and the engraving I consider important on this piece.
Agree since replating will most likely erase or diminish the hand engraved number. You have the only other one I have ever seen so best to keep it intact as found. I suppose you could get the knob repaired and plated but I wouldn't. It's an original piece of Gillette history.

Too bad about someone using pliers to try to free it up but it may not have been fully functional to begin with. The knob may be fixed in place like the testing examples mentioned in post #5 rather than simply stuck. The settings ring also not being functional could indicate Gillette used the same scenario to test the Executive.

Mine being operational could mean it was assembled near the end of the testing phase.

Were all the parts present when you disassembled it? If parts are missing that will be a clue. How about posting a pic of all the parts?

Last edited:
Top Bottom