What's new

I love Dorcos!

Wow so after going through the West Coast shaving pack a few times i have to say my favorites are the Dorco ST-300's. I know everyone loves feathers but they cut the hell out of my face and yes i was being extra careful, the derbys were nice and the Crystals just did nothing for me . But those Dorco's gave me a supersmooth irritation free shave every time I've used them. I think up next is a 100 pack unless anyone may think the ST-301s are better.

The ST300 are the best I've used so far, although if I try harder with the Feathers, I might have a new winner.

What is the difference between the 300s and the 301's? I.E. what is that PTFE coating exactly?

The 300 has a 2-stage grind forming the edge with a final hone. The 301 has a single-stage grind.

PTFE is teflon. A rather exotic process for plating or depositing this material on the edge was developed in the '80's. The PTFE fills in the microscopic gaps and irregularities in the edge, effectively making it smoother and sharper. This coating on the table of the blade gives it a glossy, almost mirror-like appearance. In the right light I can see vague reflections in it.

It's been a while since I've used a 301, but I've seen the reflections in Treet and Lord-based brands that I've used in recent weeks.

I was a big fan of the 300's then I bought 100 of the 301's on impulse. They quickly became my new favorites. Over every other blade I had ever used.

It must be me but I find that they tug, face is smooth when all is said and done though. Crystals are o.k. for me but they often give me a weeper or two.

Last edited:
I've seen some back and forth on the difference between the ST-300 and St-301. I think Dorco Korea responded to a B&B member's query about it by saying they were "of the same quality" but I saw some pictures posted of the two blades under a microscope and the ST-301 looked to have much cleaner edge.

I just started in on some ST-301 blades after going through about forty ST-300s in various Gillette razors. My impression is that the ST-301 will deliver a closer shave with fewer passes, and will punish errors that I could get away with using the ST-300.

I like both, and I think I'll use them in different situations. If I shave in the morning before work, I'd likely reach for a ST-300 because it gives me a good, presentable shave, and I really have to screw up to cut myself.

The ST-301 will probably be my most used blade for evening and weekend shaves, when I can take a little more time and enjoy the better results.

Dorco blades seem to be the poster child for YMMV. They earn both praise and scorn here.

I’ve been going back and forth on this. I’ve tried all the blades in my WCS sampler, and keep going back to the Dorcos. The Feathers are great, for two shaves. The Derby’s are also excellent, but can be a bit harsh to my face. The Swedes are good, but there are some questions as to availability.

The first blade I tried was the ST301, and I got consistently good, irritation free shaves, but thought there must be a “better” blade for me. I like the 300s, but keep going back to the 301s. I think I will be sticking with the 301s, for me they provide a close, comfortable two pass shave. If I’m going for a BBS, I can get that too.

I’m convinced, an order of 100 ST301’s it is!

I just ordered 200 of the Dorco ST-300s after getting an amazing five shaves from one in my new-to-me late-40s Aristocrat. Smooth shaving in every direction, and touching-up has never been smoother with any other blade for me. And, as I mentioned in yet another thread, at their current prices (per 100), I'm spending essentially 8¢ a week. Yes, eight cents. Less than 2¢ per shave.

Yes, YMMV, and all that. For me, it's all great. My new standard blade.

- Barrett

First shave ever with a Dorco 300 today. Used a schick krona. Wherever the blade was felt like my skin was on fire. still can't figure it out. one little weeper though. After the shave things went back to normal. I've never felt anything like it, it was almost scarey. I said what the heck is going on here, even experiemented with diff angles...same feeling. I'll try same hardware for shave #2 tomorrow, or I'll try a new Dorco 300 in gillette blue tip and see what happens there. Gotta see what's going on here! Been using dollar general blades (says compare to schick) and some other old gillette spoilers. Maybe I've got some learning to do.

Top Bottom