What's new

Your two brush combo

Two brushes would be a minimum for me, to allow the one I use to dry naturally over night (Irish climate...)

So, if you can have any two brushes, but only two what are they. It can be from brushes you own or not. Pics encouraged!

For me I would want one badger and one boar, that can do well in a scuttle or direct to face.

The Badger would be my Chubby 2 in Best (mine
is drying here) and this Zenith 507n se pure bleached bristle.

1000040852.jpg

The Chubby 2 in Best is a real all rounder. If I could only have one brush, this would be it. I just love the knot. The handle is so-so for me but it's fine.

This Zenith is, however, also an excellent brush. It feels amazing on my face when scrubbing and splays beautifully. It's better than the Chubby at delivering lather with painting strokes. Great handle too. If I was recommending a brush to a friend starting out it would be this, or a SOC 2 band if for some reason they refused to try boar.

For travel in this scenario I'd use the Chubby in a Simpson case. I would *prefer* to bring my little Mondiale synthetic that fits in its handle - man that is one great little brush but the two brush limit applies!

if you can name two what if you could only have one? Or, if you could be happy with just one what is it? Maybe it's a different brush entirely...

I guess it's the Chubby for me. But the SV badger you can see behind it is possibly capable of bumping it...

*Respectfully, if you don't wish to discuss shaving brushes as opposed to lathering without a brush or non-lather shave products even if you think they are the best option, this thread is not really for you*

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I rotate 5 SV 2.0 brushes now... and rotate 3 brushes for applying pre-shaves... I do have 4 Zenith boars.. they are excellent...

But if I was forced to use only two brushes and the knot bristles couldn't match, I'd choose an SV and a Semogue Pegasus Mistura.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have all kinds of Yaqi brushes, badgers, boar and lots of synthetic brushes bought on sale over the years + a few Razorock synthetic brushes. They do add up overall in costs but they all get used through out the year and they all have different face feels that make them unique.
I like my Yaqi Badger brushes and thought my Yaqi 24mm synthetic where all I needed but the 26mm Yaqi synthetic brushes are better than my 24mm for luxury face feel + found they are not lather hogs.
I do shave daily so they all brushes get used over the year, I did have only a few brushes for 2 years but when Yaqi had extraordinary live sales years ago when they came up I could buy a lot of brushes and razors at very low prices. (I have gifted some brand new brushes also to friends and family over the years to promote wet shaving!)

....................................................Yaqi black marble designated 24mm Cashmere synthetic brush below has over 1,500+ daily whole face wash uses with CeraVe bar soap, great soap that is close to neutral on the PH scale and is very easy on the eyes and lasts a long time. CeraVe bar soap with a 5-10 second brush load produces a lot of lather to clean the beard as a pre shave and is superior to eye drops for dry eye when forest fire season comes around every year up here in northern Canada + allergies!
I like mention CeraVe bar soap because dry eye is such a nasty acidic experience to live with, I brush wash the whole face and with eye lids closed in the eye area + it might help some folks if they know about CeraVe. I have had a few folks on B&B thank me already over the years!
Brush dispaly of holding my brushes Aug 2022..jpg
Z-Pre shave products (4).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Two brushes. Absurd. Ridiculous. Unthinkable. Utter nonsense.

But imagining for a moment that I was to reduce my brush collection to two (shudder) brushes they would be Semogue 2023 Barbears Portuguse and SOC 2 band badger. But I would not travel with a badger, which would necessitate another travel brush. And then there’s the Wild and the SOC Mistura . . .

I have all kinds of Yaqi brushes, badgers, boar and lots of synthetic brushes bought on sale over the years + a few Razorock synthetic brushes. They do add up overall in costs but they all get used through out the year and they all have different face feels that make them unique.
I like my Yaqi Badger brushes and thought my Yaqi 24mm synthetic where all I needed but the 26mm Yaqi synthetic brushes are better than my 24mm for luxury face feel + found they are not lather hogs.
I do shave daily so they all brushes get used over the year, I did have only a few brushes for 2 years but when Yaqi had extraordinary live sales years ago when they came up I could buy a lot of brushes and razors at very low prices. (I have gifted some brand new brushes also to friends and family over the years to promote wet shaving!)

....................................................Yaqi black marble designated 24mm Cashmere synthetic brush below has over 1,500+ daily whole face wash uses with CeraVe bar soap, great soap that is close to neutral on the PH scale and is very easy on the eyes and lasts a long time. CeraVe bar soap with a 5-10 second brush load produces a lot of lather to clean the beard as a pre shave and is superior to eye drops for dry eye when forest fire season comes around every year up here in northern Canada + allergies!
I like mention CeraVe bar soap because dry eye is such a nasty acidic experience to live with, I brush wash the whole face and with eye lids closed in the eye area + it might help some folks if they know about CeraVe. I have had a few folks on B&B thank me already over the years!
View attachment 1878591 View attachment 1878597

Have some great shaves!
I have a similar collection. Pretty much every knot on Ali Express, plus Omega boar brushes, vintage boar brushes, AP and TRC synthetic and Manchurian Silvertip brushes, STF brushes. If I had to pick two of them I would go with the Yaqi and DSC 22mm "Pure Badger" brushes.

1000008168.jpg

I might get a 22mm SImpson "Pure Badger" and and an Omega 22mm "Black Badger" or possibly SOC Mistura if I were picking brushes I don't have.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a similar collection. Pretty much every knot on Ali Express, plus Omega boar brushes, vintage boar brushes, AP and TRC synthetic and Manchurian Silvertip brushes, STF brushes. If I had to pick two of them I would go with the Yaqi and DSC 22mm "Pure Badger" brushes.

View attachment 1879374
I might get a 22mm SImpson "Pure Badger" and and an Omega 22mm "Black Badger" or possibly SOC Mistura if I were picking brushes I don't have.
I always thought pure badger are for folks who enjoy the scrub part of lathering with a brush, I do not own a pure badger brush yet but a 2band badger is awesome IMO. If you like the scrub in 2band badger I have a Yaqi "ever - helpful" 22mm in 2band badger and that brush is hard to beat by any brush I own including my 5 boar brushes. It is designed with a shorter loft but a dense 2band hairs knot, but has those 2band soft tips but a firmer back bone splay when lathering. I mention that on other threads many times also! I bought it on sale and thought it was worth it for the price I paid and turns out it was when I want a decent scrub.
Yaqi #1 ever-helpfull 22mm 2 band badger.jpg

Have some great shaves!

The STF remains a favorite, but I have the new version of the APShaveCo MiG 26mm synth knot on order which might give the Muhle a run for the money. Following that is the new plant-based Muhle from Rudy Vey when those become available. So that could very well make up the future 2-brush synth rotation.

I always thought pure badger are for folks who enjoy the scrub part of lathering with a brush, I do not own a pure badger brush yet but a 2band badger is awesome IMO. If you like the scrub in 2band badger I have a Yaqi "ever - helpful" 22mm in 2band badger and that brush is hard to beat by any brush I own including my 5 boar brushes. It is designed with a shorter loft but a dense 2band hairs knot, but has those 2band soft tips but a firmer back bone splay when lathering. I mention that on other threads many times also! I bought it on sale and thought it was worth it for the price I paid and turns out it was when I want a decent scrub.
View attachment 1879391
Have some great shaves!
I definitely like it for the scrub. It loads up pretty fast, but the higher grades of badger and all the good synthetics are softer and lather faster. I have a yaqi 2 band as well, mine is the Mysterious Space.

1000008179.jpg

It is nice, but I prefer a 22mm knot, and the scrub of the lower grade badger. I would like to try Simpson "pure badger" and "best badger, and as mentioned above, Semouge Mistura and Omega "black badger."

Top Bottom