What's new

Wood handle opinions

Are you asking about a brush with light colored wood handle and synthetic knot? If so, it looks like you are half way there. Probably a decent handle but I have not bought one myself. It’s wood, and looks like ash which is kind of porous, so even with a good finish on it I would recommend not soaking the handle in water unnecessarily. Like a cutting board, wood handles don’t have much issue with moisture unless you just overdo it and let them soak and saturate. There is no normal use that would call for that. Good luck!

AP Shave Co. is a reputable vendor & they make nice handles & knots. For the price, I would purchase the one you link in your original post. Note in the description it notes to oil the handle every 2 - 3 years. Let us know what you decide, please.

Are you asking about a brush with light colored wood handle and synthetic knot?
Yes… exactly.

If so, it looks like you are half way there. Probably a decent handle but I have not bought one myself. It’s wood, and looks like ash which is kind of porous, so even with a good finish on it I would recommend not soaking the handle in water unnecessarily. Like a cutting board, wood handles don’t have much issue with moisture unless you just overdo it and let them soak and saturate. There is no normal use that would call for that. Good luck!

thanks! I imagine a bit of wear and tear would be part of the charm!

Any thoughts on the best option for knot and size if I don’t mind a bit of scrub and I mostly face lather? Seems like people love the G5C?

@4starbar I have not been a synthetic brush user in the past and many years using natural badger boar and even horse, but recently started a synth knot experiment. I bought and set the G5 in A B and C, but have only used A so far and think maybe C is just the fan version of A. The A is a good knot, very good imitation of badger aesthetically and works well as a shaving brush too. But I am in the process of trying many new synths knots and don’t have any firm opinions just yet.

IMG_1974.jpeg
IMG_1986.jpeg
IMG_1994.jpeg

IMG_2005.jpeg

Yes… exactly.

thanks! I imagine a bit of wear and tear would be part of the charm!

Any thoughts on the best option for knot and size if I don’t mind a bit of scrub and I mostly face lather? Seems like people love the G5C?

If you like to face lather, I'd suggest using a 24mm or smaller synth knot. The 26mm size seems popular, but it's oversized for this, IMHO.

The Semogue 2000 has a slightly larger handle in Beech. The label is a decal that comes off.

1719885231828.png

Some of the Semogue handles are made with light oak (1800, I think).

Seems like people love the G5C?
I gave the G5C a run today. I use a scuttle and in the bowl it felt like a non-HD 3-band badger like I used to be able to find. Now there is more SHD and 2-band i.e. much stiffer knots more commonly. This was fine and I still like basic 3-band. On the face it was more stiff interestingly and didn’t naturally splay. Some like that some don’t and maybe break in changes it? I think I personally like the A better and maybe the B too. Your mileage may vary ;-)

For face lathering, I like the G5C fan and the Mühle Silvertip Fiber. My G5C is a 28mm and I got Andrew to set it out as far as he could and it really splays nicely. My STF brushes are 25mm and pure luxury on the face.

Top Bottom