What's new

What's so special about Gillette Flat Bottom Tech?

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I bought a Gillette Flat Bottom Tech awhile back because I was reading so much that it was the 'holy grail' of Tech's and honestly couldn't tell much difference in shaving performance compared with my regular Tech so I ended up selling it. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance.

I'm not a shaving expert like many here on B&B so maybe FBT really is better, but for me personally, I couldn't justify the extra cost of owning something that didn't shave me any better than my other razors. I'm not a collector, just a shaver, although I do have a weakness for vintage Gillettes.

What am I missing?

Last edited:
Hi,

As part of my RAD days here on B&B I picked up a Raised Flat Bottom Tech and really could not tell any difference compared to my original Pre War Tech (which is the razor I began shaving with in 1976).

I think this is one of those YMMV things. ;)

Stan

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I remember reading @BradWorld 's comments about the various Techs. In his view, they are all very close, with only small differences in how they shave.

I only have two Techs... The aforementioned FBT and a Canada Pre-War Tech.... I only have a few Vintage razors so they'll stick around.

I'm in the same boat as you. There's nothing special or better about it compared to a pre or post-war Tech. Certainty not a holy grail. I think some of the hype in North America comes from it being relatively hard to find on this side of the pond. But they're a dime a dozen in the UK and you can find NOS versions easily for not much money.

lasta

Blade Biter
I'm in the same boat as you. There's nothing special or better about it compared to a pre or post-war Tech. Certainty not a holy grail. I think some of the hype in North America comes from it being relatively hard to find on this side of the pond. But they're a dime a dozen in the UK and you can find NOS versions easily for not much money.
I admit, my previous comment is a bit sarcastic. There are only small differences between how Techs shave.

But...after trying some 50, Techs are grail razors.

Get one, doesn't matter which.

I don't know, but the same can be said for about pretty much any other razor. Some like it, others don't and I suppose the same goes for this one as well. I've had quite a few Techs in the past and I wasn't a big fan of them, because they seemed too mild.

For some it’s the perfect in between of mild of aggressive. I enjoy using it often.

You’ve tried a lot, I don’t like selling something if you only have one example of it though. Sometimes you find a different combination of things and everything just seems to “click.” My open combs were that way until I found the right blade combination.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I figure it's the rarity factor. Not as easy to find and the demand is there thanks to places like this.
Anyone can buy a stamped diamond base Tech off eBay for around $10, sometimes less in the states.
When a member in the USA bags a flat bottom, he's pumped and extolling the virtues, apparent or perceived.

I bought a Gillette Flat Bottom Tech awhile back because I was reading so much that it was the 'holy grail' of Tech's and honestly couldn't tell much difference in shaving performance compared with my regular Tech so I ended up selling it. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance.

I'm not a shaving expert like many here on B&B so maybe FBT really is better, but for me personally, I couldn't justify the extra cost of owning something that didn't shave me any better than my other razors. I'm not a collector, just a shaver, although I do have a weakness for vintage Gillettes.

What am I missing?

The various Tech designs are direct descendants from the Gillette New designs. The flat bottom is closer to the New, in terms of the way it is constructed. The base plate is a not stamped metal, like the later Tech designs, IIRC. Even though the geometry is very similar, the method of construction is a little nicer on the flat bottom models. The shave is not that different, though.

Top Bottom