What's new

What happened to Gillette Sensor razors?....Need advice!

Hey all,

New to the forum. I have a question...

I have been using a Gillette Sensor razor with a metal handle FOR DECADES. I had a ton of cartridges for it, and haven't had to buy them for years. Anyway, I threw my last cartridge away the other day, and since the handle was really old I figured I'd just go out and buy a new one, so I threw that out as well. When I got to the grocery store, the pickin's were slim when it came to razors. I was like, "Where are the Sensor razors?" Anyway, I bought a Gillette Mach 3, popped it out of the package tonight, and ABSOLUTELY HATED IT! Worst shaving experience I've EVER had! What's up with this new funky cartridge/razor angle? Who came up with this? Ugh! Sorry, but I'm not into gliding a potato peeler across my face, as that is what these new razors remind me of, LOL. Yes, they sit at the same angle as my potato peeler in my kitchen drawer.

So my question is, where can I get a good quality metal razor holder, with access to good quality cartidges...something EXACTLY like the Gillette Sensor shaving experience? I went out to the Gillette site and didn't see anything but potato peelers, LOL. The only thing they had that looked anything like the old Sensors were disposables, and I always hated disposable razors, as they never lasted long at all. I could make those Sensor cartridges last forever.

Suggestions would be really appreciated. I am so sorry I threw out my old "metal" (not plastic) Sensor handle, as I see Ebay has tons of Sensor cartridges still available.

HELP!!!!

Exactly what products Gillette offers can be different depending on which market you are in.

You may want to consider buying a used or NOS Sensor handle off eBay, or perhaps look into the Trac II / PII models. I believe there are still some folks making "fancy" Trac II handles and there is no shortage of blade options, or you can order a PII handle from India on eBay and buy whatever cartridges you want to run in it. It doesn't pivot, but it might be the closest you are going to get in terms of similar blade format and ergonomics.

Lol. The style of handle you called 'new' has been around for at least twenty years!

I can't believe you threw away a metal-handled Sensor. Of course they are hard to come by; Gillette hasn't made them since the turn of the century.

I might have a new old stock metal sensor somewhere, or I might have sold it years back and forgotten about it. Send me a PM to remind me to look for it if you are interested.

Otherwise, I agree with Goblin that you can probably find one on ebay.

The Mach 3 came out in 1998 so yeah, not exactly new. I thoroughly enjoy using the Mach 3, it’s a very well designed and performing razor for me. Taconic Shave sells a metal handle compatible with the Sensor cartridge on Amazon for $28.

Also, maybe this can be moved to the modern shaving systems forum instead of the single edge forum.

Taconic makes a solid metal handle.

senshan-main-version-2.jpg

No, it isn't like the original handle. Those are pretty expensive. The Taconic isn't.

They also make cartridges that will fit it, but I can't vouch for the quality of the shave.

I did find a vendor on eBay who sells cartridges for the Sensor, but were apparently made by Schick. Here's a picture of mine.
20240930_143106.jpg

He has more, I think. And my purchase history lists my cost at $23 for 100. I used one a few days ago. It worked fine for me.

Lol. The style of handle you called 'new' has been around for at least twenty years!
I don't remember EVER seeing these things on the racks, but I guess I wasn't looking for them. It looks like that's all that's available now. I hate them. Potato peelers!
I can't believe you threw away a metal-handled Sensor. Of course they are hard to come by; Gillette hasn't made them since the turn of the century.
I had no idea they had become rare. My question is...WHY?
...you can probably find one on ebay.
Those old handles are running around $75 on Ebay. That's not going to happen, LOL.

Last edited:
Taconic makes a solid metal handle.
I saw those on Ebay lastnight. I read somewhere that they break easy if dropped, unlike the Gillette Sensor handles. I am aware that there is no shortage of Sensor cartridges, which I find odd. Why not still produce the handle? The reality is, to tidy up your stache and beard, they want you to also buy a trimmer, which I have, but only use for shortening the hair on my stache, and trimming my ear and nose hair. The trimmer doesn't shave close enough at the corners of my stache and side burns, and those potato peelers are horrid for that kind of detail. Tried it lastnight and hated it.

QUESTION:

I realize this isn't my old metal Gillette Sensor handle, but is this thing comparable...Meaning: does it take standard Gillette Sensor cartridges, or do I need Gillette Sensor "Excel" cartridges? At least this thing is cheaper than the old "metal" handles that are going for a ridiculous amount of money on Ebay:

Gillette Sensor Excel Razor Handle Twin Blade Manual 1 Cartridge
Should work. Anything with the word "Sensor" in it means compatibility with all systems. So that handle should take cartridges named Sensor, Sensor Excel, and Sensor 3.

A brand called Personna Tri-Flexxx will also fit the Sensor handles, and of course itself take Gillette Sensor cartridges.

This is not unique to the Sensor, it’s been going on for 120 years. Gillette comes out with a new model and after a while they stop producing the previous one but continue to produce blades for them.
Understood, but you'd think they'd still produce AT LEAST one razor model with the old design for those of us who used them for decades, as some people break, lose, misplace them..or accidentally chuck them, as was my case, LOL. And I don't mean a disposable.

Hey all,

New to the forum. I have a question...

I have been using a Gillette Sensor razor with a metal handle FOR DECADES. I had a ton of cartridges for it, and haven't had to buy them for years. Anyway, I threw my last cartridge away the other day, and since the handle was really old I figured I'd just go out and buy a new one, so I threw that out as well. When I got to the grocery store, the pickin's were slim when it came to razors. I was like, "Where are the Sensor razors?" Anyway, I bought a Gillette Mach 3, popped it out of the package tonight, and ABSOLUTELY HATED IT! Worst shaving experience I've EVER had! What's up with this new funky cartridge/razor angle? Who came up with this? Ugh! Sorry, but I'm not into gliding a potato peeler across my face, as that is what these new razors remind me of, LOL. Yes, they sit at the same angle as my potato peeler in my kitchen drawer.

So my question is, where can I get a good quality metal razor holder, with access to good quality cartidges...something EXACTLY like the Gillette Sensor shaving experience? I went out to the Gillette site and didn't see anything but potato peelers, LOL. The only thing they had that looked anything like the old Sensors were disposables, and I always hated disposable razors, as they never lasted long at all. I could make those Sensor cartridges last forever.

Suggestions would be really appreciated. I am so sorry I threw out my old "metal" (not plastic) Sensor handle, as I see Ebay has tons of Sensor cartridges still available.

HELP!!!!
I feel your pain ... the Sensor and Sensor Excel were the best cartridge razors I ever used and I still use my metal handle Sensor every now and then . The American made Sensor blades were the best , followed by the blades made in Poland if I remember correctly . I would not buy them if they are made in the PRC .... Brazil made Sensor blades and they were "OK" ... I think several answers above are correct . Keep an eye open on Etsy and Ebay for a good metal handle and American Sensor blades although I would not hesitate to buy a non metal handle to hold you out until you find a vintage all metal handle .

LOL, my 94 year-old Dad just found an old Sensor razor handle for me.
He's a pack rat. Bless you, Dad!

It's a plastic version, but I guess it's better than nothing.
Gillette needs to make that old design available.
Doesn't make any sense why they discontinued it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom