What's new

What blade gap should I go for?

Hello - Was hoping that you would be able to recommend a range of blade gaps based on my razor history. I was thinking of getting a Wolfman or a Timeless

After the usual Mach 3/Fusion

1. Supply SE, liked it for a while
2. Merkur 34c, Better than Supply better shave, still gentle
3. Merkur 37c, wanted to try a slant, so much better than 34C
4. Above the Tie S1, based on the B&B Wiki I wanted something more agressive. Initially I hated it but after using it for a while I love it and it has become my daily driver.
5. Gillette Fatboy, Just wanted to try something vintage. Use it at an 8 setting. Pretty good razor but milder than the S1. Wouldn't mind something similar.

Appreciate the help!

No clue, some razors have surprised me.
Be open to the T.G.S. Bayonetta, great daily shaver and more ( for me).
Also a great bang for the buck.
Love the head and the shave results, not a fan of the handle. I changed it.

Different faces, different cases...
Hope you find what works best for you.
It usually comes to a ....buy are try....

BFX

I agree the Bayonetta is a nice shave but there's more at play than just gap.

From the Wolfman stable, the WR2 in .95 or 1.05 might fit the bill. My 1.05 is fairly mild and can easily be used daily. I think @Phoenixkh has a .95 ?

I imagine a lot of razors out there would meet your preference and others will surely chime in.

Yeah, so much so that Blackland doesn't list their blade gap or exposure. When I asked them about it they said it's more confusing to people. So they rate the performance on various dimensions on a scale of 10.

I like mild razors and my daily driver has been the Muhle R89. I wanted a little more aagression and mostly now using a Rockwell T2 with a 3 plate. Once you get the tecnique down to tame the weight it's ssill mild because of blade gap with the 3 but the weight itself gives it some agression IMO

Hello - Was hoping that you would be able to recommend a range of blade gaps based on my razor history. I was thinking of getting a Wolfman or a Timeless
Do you normally shave steep (riding the guard) or shallow (riding the cap)?

1721092972946.png

Was hoping that you would be able to recommend a range of blade gaps based on my razor history. I was thinking of getting a Wolfman or a Timeless
Do you normally shave steep (riding the guard) or shallow (riding the cap)?
I believe riding the cap is my usual
In that case, gap size (for you) will make NO DIFFERENCE to the mildness/aggressiveness of the shave (whereas it would for a guard rider). The only benefit for a cap rider that I can see, is that waste lather/whiskers will drain off easier the bigger the gap.

I'm a lifetime SASA member (Steep Angle Shavers Alliance). :wink2:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

From the Wolfman stable, the WR2 in .95 or 1.05 might fit the bill. My 1.05 is fairly mild and can easily be used daily. I think @Phoenixkh has a .95 ?

I imagine a lot of razors out there would meet your preference and others will surely chime in.
I do have a Wolfman basic polish bronze WR2 0.95.... I also have a 37C and had and loved the ATT S1, but recently sold it... The 37C and the ATT S1 give me shaves lasting from 8 to 10 hours.... The Wolfman WR2 0.95 along with my other top razors all give me 12 hour shaves and are still smooth and comfortable to use. I enjoy razors that are relax me when I use them... The Wolfman WR2 0.95 fits the bill perfectly.

The Bayonetta does as well... I like mine enough that I had Chris @ Back Roads Gold plate mine in his 24K hardened gold... It's a beauty now. If you don't want that expense but still want to brighten up the finish a bit, hand polishing with Simichrome or one of the other fine metal polishes out there will do the trick.

As far as Timeless Razors go, I ended up mixing and matching the scalloped caps and base plates for the 0.68OC. I have one with a Bronze cap and a titanium base plate and one with the titanium cap and a SS base plate. Both work better for me than either the complete titanium or stainless steel razor heads. I prefer the balance tilted slightly towards the razor head, but I realize, this is a personal preference. YMMV, as always. I use the Ti Crown handle with them both.

I had the slightly heavier one, with the titanium scalloped cap and the SS base plate for sale a while back but there was no interest in it. I decided to keep it. If I've let too many days go in between shaves, the heavier one does a better job on my old man, grey whiskers, but not by much. Still, it's worth keeping both of them around.

In that case, gap size (for you) will make NO DIFFERENCE to the mildness/aggressiveness of the shave (whereas it would for a guard rider). The only benefit for a cap rider that I can see, is that waste lather/whiskers will drain off easier the bigger the gap.

I'm a lifetime SASA member (Steep Angle Shavers Alliance). :wink2:

I tried testing again (had never thought about it) and it seems like it's more riding the guard. Need to come to a conclusing over the next few waves. I have a slight angle but not to steep

• Cheers
Reactions: Cal
Top Bottom