What's new

The Saltine Cracker

I was sitting here thinking about all the different ways someone could consume a saltene cracker (lightly salted on one side of course). It truly is one of nature's perfect foods.

Imagine that saltene covered in a neat swipe of peanut butter, or topped with a sardine and olive, or a piece of cheese, or a fine smoked oyster, or even better, some smoked salmon and a tiny dollop of cream cheese! Imagine what your lunchtime tomato soup would taste like without some saltenes crushed on top? It truly boggles the mind.
How do you like your saltines?

Saltene cracker story: Years ago, a co-worker picked up his lunch every day on the way to work. It was a single serve pack of Lance saltine crackers, a can of Armor potted meat, and a Mountain Dew. This guy had a saltshaker at work and would literally turn the potted meat white with salt after he spread it on the cracker. He ate it every day. Why he didn't have a stroke, I have no idea. Never seen him eat anything healthy, ever.

Saltene cracker story: Years ago, a co-worker picked up his lunch every day on the way to work. It was a single serve pack of Lance saltine crackers, a can of Armor potted meat, and a Mountain Dew. This guy had a saltshaker at work and would literally turn the potted meat white with salt after he spread it on the cracker. He ate it every day. Why he didn't have a stroke, I have no idea. Never seen him eat anything healthy, ever.
The guy should have run enough BP to blast him into outer space? I worked with a woman who did the same :crazy: a regular size plate she would upend the salt shaker and just pour it round in a spiral from the center to the edge. [i've made 225/170 bp, and I broke]

so saltine are off my menu, but i liked them with sliced tomato and sliced jalapeno's with gallons of black pepper, until i was banned from salt :crying:

We always got the unsalted ones. They still contain salt in the dough, but the tops aren't salted as well.

My mother and older brother love them with a freshly opened jar of tomatoes. My younger brother would put spaghetti sauce and some cheese on them, nuke them in the microwave for a few seconds, and then eat them. He claimed it was similar to a cheap cheese pizza.

As a kid I loved them straight with a cold can of Coke. When I make a salmon stew at least a quarter of a sleeve is going into my bowl. Also as a kid I was known to sit down with a pack and a can of tuna for a meal---now I'll throw in the pickle, mayo, and pepper.

My father used to crush up his saltine crackers in a glass or bowl, pour milk over them and eat them with a spoon. It was a mid-morning snack for him.
My father did the same. He was raised during the Depression and I wonder if he picked up the habit back then, or in WW2.

I like saltines with a slice of good cheddar. Saltines will go with just about anything, though. On a road trip, saltines and potted meat will keep you going.

To this day one of my easy favourite lunches is a can of sardines on saltenes.
For me, sardines are tough to start with. But after that first bite, I can down a tin no problem. Just that first bite, the thought of it, gives me pause. I have to be hungry. Combined with saltines, it's a great lunch. Just not an "appealing" lunch. Nothing you'd brag about during your 10 o'clock brake and say "man, I can't wait for lunch, got a tin of sardines in my locker". It's possibly the healthiest poor man's lunch.

Top Bottom