What's new

The care and feeding of vintage/antique shaving mugs

I picked up an antique shaving mug/scuttle that I intend to use. It appears to be silver-plated brass. Is Flitz metal polish the best thing to use to remove tarnish? Anything faster? BTW, I tested for lead and its negligible.

I really like this one, from the insert on top with the bracket for the shaving brush to the monogram and inscription. The inscription on the bottom of the insert/tray says "From Lizzie '96". I can't make out the initials on the monogram. Can anyone here read it?

I think the way this was used regarding the insert/tray was just to keep the lather in the brush warm between passes, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it's pretty cool, especially with the inscription. It has a story...

IMG_0823.jpg
IMG_0824.jpg
IMG_0825.jpg
IMG_0826.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking JCS for the monogram.
As far as cleaning goes, I would not use Flitz or any other abrasive that would remove metal from the entire surface. Rather, I would use the aluminum foil and baking soda method to remove just the tarnish.

eta: I normally use hot water, not quite boiling; and, I don't recall adding salt with the baking soda. The soda should form a mild electrolyte, IIRC.

I'm thinking JCS for the monogram.
As far as cleaning goes, I would not use Flitz or any other abrasive that would remove metal from the entire surface. Rather, I would use the aluminum foil and baking soda method to remove just the tarnish.

eta: I normally use hot water, not quite boiling; and, I don't recall adding salt with the baking soda. The soda should form a mild electrolyte, IIRC.
Great tip! Thanks so much. I think you are right about the monogram

I would Never use a polish of any kind on a silver plated item, sterling yes its all silver a little missing is of no consequence in the great scheme that is the cosmos.
Even if it is quadruple plated. Once gone its gone and almost all remove metal[minutely]

I can never get the ole foil n baking soda to work? I must be using the wrong foil or baking soda? [idea :idea: i might try a aluninumb pot?]

The science behind the foil trick...
Silver LOVES sulphur, the black is silver sulphide
sulphur is ever present in air you not getting away from it
Aluminum naturally oxidises in air to form a thin protective layer of aluminum oxide
Baking soda busts up that protective layer on aluminum
Sulphur loves clean Aluminum more than Silver loves it and divorces Silver and elopes with Aluminum, leaving all the nice lil baby silver atoms at home to live happily ever after :love-struck: [oops got a bit carried away there]

Oh and Nice skuttle too :D
If you hold it by the handle and then flick it with your other hand finger nail flick does it ring?
Often these are made from Nickel Silver, which has nothing to do with silver it is brass made from copper/nickel that can then take silver plate directly [no copper undercoat] normally stamped "EPNS" or Britannia Metal which [closer to pewter] [98?% tin and 2% copper *simplified*] normally has a stamp "BM".

And I would say the lid/tray is the soap puck holder? no? :confused1

Last edited:
It doesn't ring and its not magnetic. If I had to guess I'd guess brass, but I tested it for lead and it was only trace (I understand old brass can have a lot of lead)

It doesn't ring and its not magnetic. If I had to guess I'd guess brass, but I tested it for lead and it was only trace (I understand old brass can have a lot of lead)
Without getting all bent out of shape, 70% of brass you have round you may contain lead [2%]
the Faucet you use to fill the skuttle will have more lead in it than is good for you, and you drink from those faucets?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
As said above, bicarbonate of soda and foil is the way to remove the tarnish. That said, I would leave it as it is, in my opinion now it has character and interest rather than being just a shiny mug. If you change your mind after removing the tarnish then put the mug in a plastic bag with a crushed hard boiled egg. After 30 minutes the tarnish will begin to reappear, and the longer you leave the mug in the bag, the more tarnish you will get. If that process does not work then the mug is not silver plated, at least that is my understanding.

Last edited:
Found this online:
Here's the last paragraph in the article:
"Derby Silver Company continued to operate until 1933, when it was acquired by the International Silver Company. Today, products produced by Derby Silver Company are highly sought after by collectors and enthusiasts of antique silverware, and the company is remembered as one of the most important and innovative silverware manufacturers of its time"
I would be inclined to leave the patina intact in case it was a collectible because removing it could greatly reduce it's value.

Yes, seems like silver and silver plate manufacturing were a good sized industry in Connecticut back in the day
I know there were several in CT located in the Derby, Meriden, Wallingford areas (Derby, Forbes, Rogers Bros, Meriden Britannia, and several others). Most got absorbed into the International Silver Company in Meriden CT in the early 1930's

Top Bottom