What's new

Something smaller than a Duke 3?

Really love my Duke 3, BUT, it’s too big and uses a lot of soap for what I do. Beard, shave the neck and cheeks. Looking for something much smaller, maybe 30% or so. In butterscotch color. Any recommendations? I like “Best” badger hair.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
A Duke 3 has a 23mm knot, surface area 4.15cm², a Duke 2 is 21mm, surface area 3.46cm², and a Duke 1 is 20mm, 3.14cm². So a Duke 1 would offer about 30% reduction. Of course you will have to allow for loft and bloom when considering how large the brush will feel on the face. An alternative might be the Chubby 1, or Classic 1 or 2 in Best which are excellent brushes. As said above, you may have to request them from Simpson directly if you want butterscotch.

Sorry one other idea… the Simpson 56 would have a slightly taller handle than the Duke (or Classic) but is a very comfortable shape as well, worth considering if you are at all concerned about handle size of those other two maybe being on the small side.

Anyone know of a wee Scot that’s more scrubby? No so… painty?
So are you looking for a small brush with a lower loft (hair height)? Not sure if you’re interested in boar, but Semogue makes many small, scrubby brushes. Omega is also well regarded around here

So are you looking for a small brush with a lower loft (hair height)? Not sure if you’re interested in boar, but Semogue makes many small, scrubby brushes. Omega is also well regarded around here
Oh man, I made my last comment before I seen yours! lol you have any recommendations?

I love small scrubby brushes.

Some vintage American brushes with new Chinese badger knots. This is an Ever Ready with a new DSC pure knot, an Ever Ready with a new DSC Black knot, and a Rubberset with a Boti super high density black knot. I should have set them all a little deeper. Boti SHD black is the favorite in this Pic.

1000011152.jpg

This Burma shave with original boar knot is great.
1000011153.jpg

DSC Amber and Yaqi Sagrada Familia, both with pure badger. Awesome brushes.
1000011154.jpg

This EJ is in the super soft STF synthetic, but I am eyeing this brush with a black badger knot. The tortoiseshell ones look sweet, especially the red one.
1000011156.jpg

I prefer the Omega like the Orange one to the white.

The blended badger and boar with the tiny handle I really dislike. I prefer either unblended hair, and I make a big mess with fingers in lather with the tiny handle.

The Simpson S1 in Pure is fantastic. I am eyeing another Simpson, but there are a pot of choices. I am also eyeing some of the Plisson black and Russian Gray.

1000011155.jpg

1000011157.jpg

I love small scrubby brushes.

Some vintage American brushes with new Chinese badger knots. This is an Ever Ready with a new DSC pure knot, an Ever Ready with a new DSC Black knot, and a Rubberset with a Boti super high density black knot. I should have set them all a little deeper. Boti SHD black is the favorite in this Pic.

View attachment 1915083

This Burma shave with original boar knot is great.
View attachment 1915084

DSC Amber and Yaqi Sagrada Familia, both with pure badger. Awesome brushes.
View attachment 1915086

This EJ is in the super soft STF synthetic, but I am eyeing this brush with a black badger knot. The tortoiseshell ones look sweet, especially the red one.
View attachment 1915087

I prefer the Omega like the Orange one to the white.

The blended badger and boar with the tiny handle I really dislike. I prefer either unblended hair, and I make a big mess with fingers in lather with the tiny handle.

The Simpson S1 in Pure is fantastic. I am eyeing another Simpson, but there are a pot of choices. I am also eyeing some of the Plisson black and Russian Gray.

View attachment 1915089

View attachment 1915098
Ok, what’s the tiny omega called? Just omega brush? I can’t find it! lol

Omega 11047 badger/boar mix is small and scrubby and the 40033 is just boar and costs about £5 here in the U.K.
……40033 is one of my most used…..handle benefits from a few O rings to fit in the grooves in it…..makes it much more comfortable in the hand and only adds a few pence to the overall cost.
A great little brush IMO.

Omega 11047 badger/boar mix is small and scrubby and the 40033 is just boar and costs about £5 here in the U.K.
……40033 is one of my most used…..handle benefits from a few O rings to fit in the grooves in it…..makes it much more comfortable in the hand and only adds a few pence to the overall cost.
A great little brush IMO.
I just order the little Omega! Found it on Amazon! Looks like it might fit the bill!

You’re not cool enough around here unless you’re shaving with a Chubby 3+ lol

But seriously, for cheeks and neck a Wee Scot is overkill, I’d just use canned foam and a cart. But wait, that’s what I use for my whole face anyways…

Nevermind.
I’m sorry.. did you just say “overkill”… we will have to take this to the high council, but I believe your days on B&B are numbered. This word is outlawed around these parts! 😁

A Duke 3 has a 23mm knot, surface area 4.15cm², a Duke 2 is 21mm, surface area 3.46cm², and a Duke 1 is 20mm, 3.14cm². So a Duke 1 would offer about 30% reduction. Of course you will have to allow for loft and bloom when considering how large the brush will feel on the face. An alternative might be the Chubby 1, or Classic 1 or 2 in Best which are excellent brushes. As said above, you may have to request them from Simpson directly if you want butterscotch.
Chubby 1 would have been my suggestion beyond the reductive Dukes

Haha no worries. I’m not a boar user myself, but the Semogue 620 is quite the popular scrubby brush. The 830 is another good one but with a longer loft
620 is very good
Torga (C3) is excellent
830 is superb

This might sound like the obvious response, but have you checked out the specs on the Duke 2 or 1? Or the Classic 1… for a butterscotch color you might need to order directly from them, but if you know you like that hair that might be the way to go.

Duke 2 in best may be just what you want!! I love mine!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Top Bottom