What's new

Should I buy the ARC5 in the US or Japan?

Hi there! I will be visiting Japan in 2 weeks and have been extensively looking for a new electric shaver. I've settled on the ARC5 and was considering buying through Amazon (in Ohio) but was wondering if it would be different than the one made in Japan? I have heard that there is a new 3rd generation foil that you can buy but does it come standard on the ones in Japan? Or would I have to buy the foil separately? My only gripe is if I buy it in Japan, I wouldn't be able to return it (if I dislike it). Thanks.

Hmmm, quite the dilemma this one. Under normal circumstances I would have siad go with cost (thinking while in Japan it would be cheaper) however the returns of a product not wanted kinda trumps that for me. My vote is go for Amazon at home and then while in Japan double check product, specs and prices of an actual in hand item.

I have an Arc 6 from the US and from Japan. These are the most significant differences (Japanese left, US right) - yes, pictographs are on the US trimmer:

20240607_192446.jpg
20240607_192503.jpg
20240607_192816.jpg
20240607_192800.jpg

That's it. The Arc 5 should be similar. Voltage in Japan is 100v (50 Hz in Eastern Japan, 60 Hz in Western Japan). Plugs are typically US 2-prong (no ground), and non-polarized. The charging cord provided (Japanese) will fit fine in US outlets, and the shaver will adjust the voltage. The warranty may be an issue if you take the shaver to the US, but the next gen foil is not a substantial consideration. You may also find the price in Japan is cheaper after conversion, although the exchange is slightly down currently.

Top Bottom