What's new

Review of Godrej Menthol Mist

Godrej Blue Henson.jpg

When I was comparing this cream to some others quite a while back, I didn't do it justice. This cream is every bit as good as Vi-John, Palmolive, and other great creams. It smells a bit like mint toothpaste, in a soapy kind of way. So, it doesn't smell bad, but it isn't going to smell like an artisan soap, either. What it does do, is perform really well. It has lanolin and beeswax, so the feeling is creamy and the post shave is very nice, leaving my face soft. The menthol is nice and cold without being painful, like some of the over the top artisan soaps can be. It is very refreshing.

As for the shave, it is very slick. I put a small amount (fingernail size) on my brush and started face lathering. The lather jumped up quickly, and was nice and creamy, just as I like it. The first stroke of the razor felt like I didn't have a blade, it was that smooth. Even doing touch ups without relathering was a breeze and no dragging of the blade. I had no irritation, and have had none in any of the shaves I've done with this cream. Each time I got a near BBS or BBS without stressing my skin.

The price is surprising. This cream is made in India and I pay about a dollar, over here. Maggards and others in the USA carry this for four bucks and change. The 70g tube isn't as big as Vi-John, but to steal a phrase from an old hair product, "A little dab'll do ya."

Ingredients: Aqua / Water, Stearic Acid, Gylcerol, Potassium Hydroxide, Lauric Acid, Myristic Acid, Perfume, Sodium Hydroxide, Borax, Cera Alba (Bees Wax), Sodium Silicate, Ethoxylated Lanolin, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Menthol, Cl-61565.

This is a high value-high performance shaving cream.

View attachment 1906305
When I was comparing this cream to some others quite a while back, I didn't do it justice. This cream is every bit as good as Vi-John, Palmolive, and other great creams. It smells a bit like mint toothpaste, in a soapy kind of way. So, it doesn't smell bad, but it isn't going to smell like an artisan soap, either. What it does do, is perform really well. It has lanolin and beeswax, so the feeling is creamy and the post shave is very nice, leaving my face soft. The menthol is nice and cold without being painful, like some of the over the top artisan soaps can be. It is very refreshing.

As for the shave, it is very slick. I put a small amount (fingernail size) on my brush and started face lathering. The lather jumped up quickly, and was nice and creamy, just as I like it. The first stroke of the razor felt like I didn't have a blade, it was that smooth. Even doing touch ups without relathering was a breeze and no dragging of the blade. I had no irritation, and have had none in any of the shaves I've done with this cream. Each time I got a near BBS or BBS without stressing my skin.

The price is surprising. This cream is made in India and I pay about a dollar, over here. Maggards and others in the USA carry this for four bucks and change. The 70g tube isn't as big as Vi-John, but to steal a phrase from an old hair product, "A little dab'll do ya."

Ingredients: Aqua / Water, Stearic Acid, Gylcerol, Potassium Hydroxide, Lauric Acid, Myristic Acid, Perfume, Sodium Hydroxide, Borax, Cera Alba (Bees Wax), Sodium Silicate, Ethoxylated Lanolin, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Menthol, Cl-61565.

This is a high value-high performance shaving cream.
Is it better than Old Spice? I see it contains Borax. "20 mule team borax".

Is it better than Old Spice? I see it contains Borax. "20 mule team borax".
Yes. I tried OS and gave it away.

Borax turns into hydrogen peroxide on the skin and that antiseptic kills germs and prevents infections. It also softens the water on the skin, allowing the water and oils to do their jobs more efficiently. It helps the beeswax and lanolin mix and be more useful, or some such stuff. Anyway, a lot of cosmetics have borax, not just cleaning products.

Last edited:
Yes. I tried OS and gave it away.

Borax turns into hydrogen peroxide on the skin and that antiseptic kills germs and prevents infections. It also softens the water on the skin, allowing the water and oils to do their jobs more efficiently. It helps the beeswax and lanolin mix and be more useful, or some such stuff. Anyway, a lot of cosmetics have borax, not just cleaning products.
I learned something new today. Thanks.

Very surprised they are still using parabens in this day and age.

Many shaving soaps have them. There isn't any evidence that the small amount used externally poses any danger and the FDA and other agencies take this stance. They are good preservatives.
I would never knowingly use a product that is questionable when it comes to safety. Occasional use in a product with a small amount may be OK, but repeated use over years of even small amounts adds up. I prefer to discourage companies from using this, otherwise they'll end up in more and more products. When Art of Shaving was independent, the creams never contained parabens. Within months of being acquired by P&G, the formulation was changed to include parabens and I stopped using it.

Yeah, if you are sensitive to it that could happen. Many soaps and laundry detergents also have borax because it cleans and disinfects (deadly on fire ants, too).

Top Bottom