What's new

Replacement for Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless

After having a good 5-year run with the Russian-made version of the green Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless, it has become increasingly difficult to get a hold of them in my country, which ultimately prompted me to switch over to Gillette Platinums. For clarification, it's the ones with white lettering on a blue background - the spiritual successors to the "Swedes", if I'm correct.

1720892130696.png

Unfortunately, their performance is sub-par. They simply do not compare to the 7 O'Clocks in terms of sharpness and smoothness, and I find myself having to shave the same area more than i would with a 7 O'Clock, which leads to more irritation and some tugging.

Since I can't use one or the other, I'm looking for suggestions regarding an appropriate successor to my 7 O'Clocks. A long time ago, I bought a sample pack that included the most popular razor blades, including Feathers, which - if memory serves me right - weren't particularly satisfactory, and not as sharp as I hoped they'd be given their reputation. So after a decent amount of testing, I ended up settling for the 7 O'Clocks, as they seemed to work well enough at the time. I wasn't sure whether I would've found something more optimal if I had done more testing.

Has anyone had success with green Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless blades, and then replaced them with something similar - or even better? I appreciate any input.

Last edited:
My three favorite blades are Feathers, BICS and RK blades. I don’t try lots of blades though. The RKs came with my Henson razor and they are excellent blades.

After having a good 5-year run with the Russian-made version of the green Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless, it has become increasingly difficult to get a hold of them in my country, which ultimately prompted me to switch over to Gillette Platinums. For clarification, it's the ones with white lettering on a blue background - the spiritual successors to the "Swedes", if I'm correct.

View attachment 1877307

Unfortunately, their performance is sub-par. They simply do not compare to the 7 O'Clocks in terms of sharpness and smoothness, and I find myself having to shave the same area more than i would with a 7 O'Clock, which leads to more irritation and some tugging.

Since I can't use one or the other, I'm looking for suggestions regarding an appropriate successor to my 7 O'Clocks. A long time ago, I bought a sample pack that included the most popular razor blades, including Feathers, which - if memory serves me right - weren't particularly satisfactory, and not as sharp as I hoped they'd be given their reputation. So after a decent amount of testing, I ended up settling for the 7 O'Clocks, as they seemed to work well enough at the time. I wasn't sure whether I would've found something more optimal if I had done more testing.

Has anyone had success with green Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless blades, and then replaced them with something similar - or even better? I appreciate any input.
The blades on your photo are the light blue Platinums. Things have gone complicated last year. As they used to be made in Russia but now are made by Gillette Shanghai and shave differently. Either way I don't think the Russian or the Chinese ones are even close to the 7 o'clock Super Stainless you like since the 7 o'clock is milder. Obviously you need to try different blades and decide which will do the job for you. Things with blades and razors are too subjective for us to tell you which will be best for you

View attachment 1877307

Has anyone had success with green Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless blades, and then replaced them with something similar - or even better?

I, too, am a fan of the Super Stainless blades, I went through 100 of them a few years ago, then switched to Gillette Silver Blue and more recently I have been working my way through the Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge blades. Both are fine blades.

Gillette Super Stainless were definitely niche blades. Russian Astra SS are probably the closest to your Beloved if still able to obtain them, but I think they are a little less "premium" or something. Indian Astra SS is probably a further step toward sharp, but if you're not against having other coatings...perhaps Indian Astra SP would be a decent compromise? I have not used either Indian Astra version.

The closest non-PPI substitutes I've tried are Silver Star, Treet Classic, and 7 o'clock Permasharp stainless. All are shorter-lived than Russian/PPI steel and obviously have different mannerisms.

Treet Classic (a carbon blade, not to be confused with Treet Carbon aka Black Beauties) seems smoother-yet than Super Stainless with similar sharpness. I almost stocked up, but...

Silver Stars are sharper than either of these with little smoothness loss. Immediate 100pack.

Indian 7'0clock Permasharp are the sharpest and least smooth of these three, but remain a notch below Nacet/Bic/Feather. I personally prefer them over the Russian Super Stainless, but haven't stockpiled after covering my bases with Silver Stars and Treet Dura Sharps instead. YMMV

as mentioned before, try the Indian Astra Super Stainless (blue), i think they are pretty similar to the PPI Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless

Top Bottom